• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we talk about hip thrust?

Discusted

Par Member
Just watching this old tip video from Feldberg, ( https://vimeo.com/64171158) and I've seen it before but I watched again and realized I don't have any of this hip thrust in my throw. I was thinking possibly that's why I seem to rotate past my plant instead of into it. Like when you see the pros throw, when they crush the can, the plant foot is on the ground planted and NOT rotating for a split second until they unhinge the elbow. As the elbow unhinges, the plant foot rotates from perpendicular to the target, to pointed at the target.

With my throw it's like, I plant the toe, I crush the can and at the same time as crushing the can my foot is rotating already. There's no pause between crush the can and eventual foot rotation.

So i have some questions:
1. With my foot rotating right after the crush can, is this a brace issue?
2. Does the hip thrust create a braced position?
3. What is the timing of this hip thrust? Say from reach back in. Does the hip thrust initiate at reachback peak or after crushing the can? When the hip thrust has finished and it's pointing at the sky, is that when the hit starts or is the disc releasing at that point?
4. What are some other ways the experts around here refer to that hip thrust motion? Doesn't seem to be talked about much here, but maybe it just has a different name to other people?
5. What are some good drills to practice this hip thrust?

1. It's a posture and balance and sequence issue.

2. Not necessarily. You need to maintain dynamic balance.

3. Initiates in the stride/backswing. Your butt needs to swivel to counter the arm swing back and forth, so backswing butt swivels facing target and arm/disc swing back away from target, then after plant, butt swivels away from target as you extend upright and arm/disc swing targetward.

4./5. See Door Frame Drills, Hershyzer Drills, One Leg Drill.

I personally wouldnt read too much into this. I have always felt that Feldberg explains everything in a very complicated way. As in move this joint then this then that and you are finally standing on your left toe. I think Shawn Clement said something along the lines of "we suck at body part positioning"

1. It's a posture and balance and sequence issue.

2. Not necessarily. You need to maintain dynamic balance.

3. Initiates in the stride/backswing. Your butt needs to swivel to counter the arm swing back and forth, so backswing butt swivels facing target and arm/disc swing back away from target, then after plant, butt swivels away from target as you extend upright and arm/disc swing targetward.

4./5. See Door Frame Drills, Hershyzer Drills, One Leg Drill.

1. Okay makes sense.

2. Thanks for clarifying.

3. Right, I swivel on the reachback, and swivel away on can crush. But I'm going to try to do this with adding more of a hip thrust/sway. It feels like the motion of the thrust helps you extend upright more... would you say that's true?

4/5. Will do.

Watched the hershyzer, would you say when you butt is striding forward THATS the hip thrust? Or is it butt strides forward, toes plant, THEN you hip thrust?

Rear foot thrusts everything ground up forward/swivels leg(Swivel Chair Drill)before you plant/shift majority of weight to front foot.

Rear foot thrusts everything ground up forward/swivels leg(Swivel Chair Drill)before you plant/shift majority of weight to front foot.

Doesn't the rear leg/foot swivel as the can is crushed? And isn't the can being crushed the shift of the majority of weight to the front foot?

1. Doesn't the rear leg/foot swivel as the can is crushed?
2. And isn't the can being crushed the shift of the majority of weight to the front foot?
Remember these are drills to exaggerate things and overlap in sequence. There is no can or chair in a real swing.

1. Yes. The front heel is still above the ground as rear foot/leg swivels. So the can is beginning to be crushed, but not flattened yet, the heel is still above the ground, so your weight has not shifted majority yet.

2. The majority of your weight shifting forward / heel hitting the ground due to gravity happens to crush the can in the way. Your weight has not shifted majority as the can is in processes of being flattened.

This might help answer some questions, or raise whole bunch.

Last edited: