• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't get more than 300' of power. Please review

Jank

Practice video 1 (video taken from behind):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfDzPjJPqE

Practice video 2 (video taken from side):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZN0O3gGeT0

I can't seem to get more than 300ft. I throw typically Valks for drives. These discs I'm throwing are either DX Valks, Wildcats, Orions LS, etc.

The DX valk (yellow) I turned over cause I threw it on the same angle I think as the other discs which are harder for me to turn over.

Any advice you can give or any training videos you might find interesting for me would be awesome. I watched the Dan Beto one.

Thanks for your help.

When the disc rips out you are leaning back which adds to the rising angle of the disc. The other thing that gets the disc too high, slowing down prematurely and fading is the nose up angle which is worsened by reaching back low releasing higher. All of these issues would be helped by pushing way harder with the left leg which is coasting now. In order to get full power transferred to the disc you need to wither keep the left leg on the ground at the rip after a good push forward or the Feldy kick.

You do not reach back much at all. You'd gain a dozen or few feet immediately from reaching back as far as possible by turning the back of the head and the heels at the target in the x and plant step. The chest needs to point at the back of the tee so that the arm can reach back at full length. You can reach back a little farther by turning the shoulders so that the right one is farther away from the target than the left.

You pull at full speed with the arm from the start. That may not be the best way for you but it depends on your muscle power. A full reach back is even more power hungry if you intend to pull at full speed. Which by the way rapes accuracy and consistency opening up the door for wrist rolls etc. It is not as if you are balanced now. The right leg plants too far left which tilts you right adding anny.

You lack the pause which you should search for. The elbow is not ahead of the body when the elbow straightens. That is a major loss of snap. The hips and shoulders could turn more and it is helped by pushing properly with the left leg and bracing the right leg in the final step. The right leg needs to stop in place during the pause and it needs to use as much muscle power as you can muster most likely.

Wow this is amazing JR thanks. What would you recommend I work on first and then 2nd? What will I get the most bang for my buck or best thing to correct now before it becomes too habitual?

Relax Jank, you're all tensed up in your throw. Start with the footwork and just walk slowly through it. Do the drills on the "stuck at 300 feet" thread and learn how to transfer power from your legs and torso to a nice clean whip.

Reaching back fully has the most power increase potential but most lose out in distance at first because it is very difficult to retain proper posture, balance, timing etc. so i'd fix the posture first. It also improves the scoring as well so the first thing would be to shifting the weight of the body forward to be at least upright when the disc rips out and planting the final step more to the right. The second thing is to check if you still get nose up throws and if you do i'd check that the arm does not rise from the reach back to the rip and that the wrist is down at least so much that the disc is parallel to the forearm bones that run from the elbow to the wrist.

Thanks. I have alot to work on. You guys are awesome and I'm reading that 300 ft forum post. The right pec drill was referenced in it on the 2nd page but it was never described. I think I found a version of it on youtube though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bQatJksuw

It has been described somewhere on this forum and Keltik detailed getting into the right pec position in that video not so much what happens from then on which the right pec drill is for. Check out the channel citysmasher1 on Youtube.