• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catch drill, Pec drill questions

Dale1

Par Member
I tried the catch drill for the first time today. It felt awful! Don't know what I'm doing wrong but it makes my shoulder hurt. The pec drill seems to do the same thing. I must be doing them wrong.

My problem with both the catch drill and pec drill is the awkwardness of both regarding the starting positions. It feels cramped and not loose at all to not reach back naturally.

Are both of these done bent elbow? Why is the pec drill called the pec drill?

I get the idea that both are designed to shorten the reach back so that max speed is attained at the hit instead of prior to it. Is that correct? I seem to do better if I concentrate on gradually accelerating the disc up to the hit, with the greatest acceleration right before the hit. I do something similar with my forehand, coming forward slowly until right before the flick, then exploding the arm acceleration and wrist snap suddenly at the end.

Is there any correlation between backhand and forehand throws?

Help me out here please, I'm befuddled by these drills! :?

the catch drill is to help you learn how to throw nose down. The right pec drill is called that because as a right handed thrower, you hold the disc at about the right pec. You are correct that it's design is to teach late acceleration. Some folks pull from the back of the reach back 100%.

Neither should hurt you though. Neither drill are designed (as far as I know) for distance or power. It's really all about learning what to feel and seeing results in limited space at home and on the practice field instead of playing out on the course.