• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chains Disc Golf Documentary Fundraiser!!!

Aviar7495

This is the Final Push for the Chains the Movie - Disc Golf Documentary Fundraiser as it ends in 9 Days!!! Here's where you can pledge your donation, $1 -$10,000, If the project doesn't get funded nobody pays...We are giving out Limited Edition Chains Merchandise for all that help us reach our goal of $30,000 by November 14th!!! We really appreciate your help & support!!!

Please got to: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/averyjenkins/chains-the-movie-disc-golf-documentary

The $30,000 will be used to purchased copyrighted music to be used in the Film (ex. - Rage Against The Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"), purchase copyright video footage (ex. - David Feldberg on Conan O'Brien and Ed Headricks Ashes on Ripley's Believe it or Not!!) and other such technical necessities to make this film just that much better!!! Also a lot of money was put out at this point to produce just that screenings, making movies is not cheap. Please help us out by donating to the Movie and thanks to those that have already donated!!!

Thanks for your Support of Chains and Disc Golf!!!

I can only afford 10 bucks but it's something. If everyone could just give 5-10$'s we could possibly get this done.

chainchaser said:
I can only afford 10 bucks but it's something. If everyone could just give 5-10$'s we could possibly get this done.

^^^^^^ Indeed! Derek Hastings is a great film-maker, it's great value to help give him the tools he needs to showcase disc golf to the world.

veganray said:
10% of time remaining; 93% of funds as yet unpledged. Not looking too promising…

Hey Vegan Ray, We would greatly accept any funds that would help to diminish that 93% of unpledged funds.

Thanks for your contribution and for posting. We just gotta believe.

Gotcha, Avery. I don't think that $30,000 for the purchase of "copyrighted music to be used in the Film (ex. - Rage Against The Machine - "Guerrilla Radio")" and "copyright video footage (ex. - David Feldberg on Conan O'Brien and Ed Headricks Ashes on Ripley's Believe it or Not!!)" is money well spent, so I'll opt not to pledge & save my disposable disc golf funds to use for improving/expanding local course offerings, improving/expanding local events, and educating local youth. Best of luck on the fundraising, though.

veganray said:
Gotcha, Avery. I don't think that $30,000 for the purchase of "copyrighted music to be used in the Film (ex. - Rage Against The Machine - "Guerrilla Radio")" and "copyright video footage (ex. - David Feldberg on Conan O'Brien and Ed Headricks Ashes on Ripley's Believe it or Not!!)" is money well spent, so I'll opt not to pledge & save my disposable disc golf funds to use for improving/expanding local course offerings, improving/expanding local events, and educating local youth. Best of luck on the fundraising, though.

Well, that all depends on what kind of Disc Golf Documentary that you would like to see.......one with just a bunch of Disc Golf Shots or one with actual Television Footage that incorporates Disc Golf with the rest of the World with real publicized events that were viewed by millions such as the Conan O'Brien Show, Ripley's Believe It or Not, etc. It adds to the overall dynamic of the film and gives the Movie a lot more texture when relating Disc Golf to the rest of the Masses of People that want to know more.

It's very difficult to list all of the other Video Clips that will be used without people trying to shut the idea down, but you just have to go with me on this and understand that it IS Money well spent. Addition Video Clips to be used: Ed Headrick on Johnny Carson, Ed Headrick & Fred Morrison on 70's Game Show, Local News Coverage at Disc Golf Tournaments, 1990-2011 Disc Golf World Championships Footage, etc..........the list goes on because this footage is very necessary to this movie production. But realize that I have to very in-depth in explaining the fundraising efforts to those that have not seen any of the Chains Screenings. All I know is that the "Invisible String" Frisbee Documentary, to which I donated, raised $25,000 throughout the Frisbee Community and was thinking that Disc Golfers would be just as giving to a Disc Golf Movie Project.

Players always wonder how can we make Disc Golf Bigger, well this is definitely one way to do it!!!!!

It's only the beginning, one day Disc Golfers will look back and be glad that they contributed to the advancement & growth of Disc Golf on a World-wide Scale!! Thanks for your Support!!

Aviar7495 said:
Well, that all depends on what kind of Disc Golf Documentary that you would like to see...
Actually, it all depends on what kind of disc golf documentary you would like to subsidize. I personally would like to see a disc golf documentary featuring Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, and Salma Hayek (not to mention that dreamboat Gregg Barsby), but I wouldn't necessarily pledge $1-$10,000 towards making it happen.

Aviar7495 said:
Players always wonder how can we make Disc Golf Bigger
You are projecting your desire to make the game bigger to disc golfer players in toto. This sort of thinking from a passionate advocate is very common and completely understandable, but quite fallacious.

Not trying to be a ballbuster (it really happens naturally), just explaining my thought process in passing on your invitation to pledge to donate. Again, good luck in your fundraising endeavor.

whoops, those last 3 posts disappeared, that was weird. I bet other dumb posts like those might also disappear.

No worries at all and I respect his honest response to not wanting to pledge toward our Fundraising, that's fine.

I understand that many have not seen the Documentary and have only viewed the Chains Trailer which is only a small portion of the real movie and doesn't really do the entire piece justice in this case. But for those that have seen the Chains Movie, they can really understand the level of production that goes into making such a film. It's Incredible to see Disc Golf on the Big Screen and it will influence lots of new people to get involved, it's inevitable the influential power of this movie to show the masses that our Sport is so much more than throwing "Frisbees in the Park'.

I just wish that others (not referring to Ray) could see the Bigger Picture in Disc Golf instead of viewing the game the same as it's been for the last 30 years, because not much has really changed. If we can't take Disc Golf seriously and refer to it as a legitimate Sport how can we expect anyone else to??

To the Future of Disc Golf and to all those that support it!!!

Thanks to everyone that contributed and pledged money to the Chains Disc Golf Documentary in hopes to help fund this Incredible Movie!!! All though the goal was not reached, not all is lost, this Documentary will still happen.

The Chains Director, Derek Hastings, has enough Disc Golf footage to make 6 Movies at this point and has future plans to make others but due to time constraints with other Video Projects (2011 World's & Vibram DVD's) it has taken longer than expected to make the first Chains Movie finished. This has been a passion for him for 6 years and it has taken that long to produce the film because it has a been a side-project for that long as well, because as you can imagine it doesn't pay the bills. He has had to resort to working many NFL Network side jobs in that time just to make it happen. But he is by far the Best Video/Film Talent that we have in Disc Golf at this point and we'll all be grateful when these films finally release but it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time to do so.

The sole purpose (End Goal) of this Documentary is to educate the people that have never heard of Disc Golf and make Disc Golf look cool in the eyes of people that have never played before. This sport is awesome, from the flight of the Disc to the ringing of the Chains, we just want others out there to experience the same emotion & attraction to Disc Golf that all of us Disc-fanatics feel. I still get chills when I watch some of Music Video cuts that Derek has edited and I can only imagine what others emotions Disc Golfers will feel when they see this Film!!!

It's ultimate goal of promoting our sport to the masses of people that will hopefully enjoy it as much as we do now. We were just looking for die-hard Disc Golfers that love the sport that they play and want to support something that gives what they are doing some justification of their Disc-Addiction, they play for the love, they play for the passion. They play because they truly love Disc Golf.It's the thoughtfulness of those that pledged that will drive the following of the Chains Documentary, you are truly the Mover & Shakers in the Disc Golf Community that see the Overall Good that a Movie like this will bring to the Sport of Disc Golf.

**For all of those that are still interested in contributing to the Chains Movie directly and owning Private Shares of the Disc Golf Documentary, please contact me at [email protected] and explain your interest in donating to the project.

Thanks for everyone's Help & Support of the Chains Disc Golf Documentary and the sport that we all love!!! It's the beginning of a Revolution, a Chains Revolution!!!Bang da Chains!!!

-Avery Jenkins & The Chains Crew-

PS - Message from the Director, Derek Hastings - " Thank you to everyone who supported our efforts on Kickstarter! We will continue to search for a way to raise money to pay extensive licensing fees attached to current footage and music. Hopefully, Chains will be available to the masses in the not to distant future."

maybe I'm missing something with this but how exactly is this going to "grow the sport"? I realize it's probably much better quality than anything else that's out there now but I seriously doubt there have been prospective players/sponsors/investors that have been holding out until DG release a high quality documentary. So what's the selling point that will get all the people otherwise un-interested in the sport to watch this... and then invest in the sport?

It seems to me that this is just another product for the current DG community, which is fine, but don't try to trick people into donating money by saying it will "grow the sport" unless you can present them with a very specific plan as to what your plan is to market the documentary and what type of growth it will directly contribute to.

at least that's how i feel about it.

Not so fast, mzuleger. While I think the producers' proposed use of $30k to purchase use licenses for background music & video clips is extremely unwise, maybe Mr. Hastings & the "Chains" brass have a marketing strategy to get the eyes of folks outside of the "disc golf community" onto this film. If this is the case, a mind-blowing production could potentially draw new folks (and new $$) to the game. If such a strategy exists, I'd sure like to hear some of the ideas that comprise it.

... and that's all I'm saying. If you expect people to donate then you can at least tell them how it will benefit them instead of just asking them to absorb your business expenses.

mzuleger said:
... and that's all I'm saying. If you expect people to donate then you can at least tell them how it will benefit them instead of just asking them to absorb your business expenses.
People with enough charisma and talent need not go into detail about such things, you believe it because you have faith in their vision, if they articulate it well enough you are on board. Faith in talent and ambition is underrated in such a poor economy, in such a poor sport. Maybe a leap of faith from some of us is what these projects and attempts to make our sport grow needs.... maybe some of you guys are poorly communicating that we need more charisma and talent to make people believe it. :twisted:

charisma and talent is what economics 101 is all about. i like this new guy. business model? fuck that noise, i want a charisma and talent model.