• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Champ Dart

I have been looking to get a putter solely for approaches, and am looking for something a little faster and with more glide than my Aviar and P2.

I am leaning toward the Dart. I am curious if anyone can explain the differences between all the plastic types, especially as it relates to glide and stability.
Looking at it in E*,Star or Champ for durability, but am curious how it differs from pro or DX. Anyone have experience with these, or think another disc all together would suit my needs better. Thanks in advance.

Don't dismiss the R-Pro. That almost floppy stuff it's made out of is damn near indestructible. Depending on where you play it might even be more durable than the champ and star plastics.

Anyway, I've only thrown the Star, R-Pro and DX and all of those were just about equally neutral and glidey etc. No real difference in stability. The R-Pro does offer most grip, and works just as good on drives as any other Dart. It might take a little while to get used to the softness, but it's not a big deal.

I have a brand new maroon champ dart here for sale or trade if you decide you want one.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23366

that and the Dart was MADE for R-Pro, first disc released in the plastic and first plastic the disc was released in. I tried out the dart for a while but to me it seemed to want to go straight no matter how I threw it. That could be a good thing, but wasnt what i was looking for...

I really love how straight the Dart is, I love how well it glides and how effortless it is to throw long. It's probably even longer for me than the ION. Scratch that, it's definitely longer.

But it's not really a putter, way too fast. It doesn't even feel like one. What it is is a slower and really neutral midrange.

Thats good to hear Jub. I want more of an glidey straight approach/mid-range. You mentioned the effortless distance...does it require much air or would it be good for low ceiling shots?

La Flama Blanca said:
Thats good to hear Jub. I want more of an glidey straight approach/mid-range. You mentioned the effortless distance...does it require much air or would it be good for low ceiling shots?
It has pretty insane glide, you won't need much height to get distance with it. For max d it obviously needs to be aired out.

darts are great but look at the aero as well they glide forever. real straight flight. what you discribed wanting the aero does better then the dart IMO.

Can't go wrong with the dart, haven't thrown Aero, but the dart just goes straight even if you have some crap in your form that needs cleaning out, funny disc.

Any more Champ Dart throwers? Is the plastic a gummy or stiff type of Champion? How is the stability compared to the other Darts? I've tried R-Pro and Star, not Dx.

For now I like Wizards for straight approach shots...the older Medium plastic (circle tooling) ones are the best, and have the most glide, while also being slow enough that they can't run away too far from your target destination. But I do like Darts, and the way they feel in the hand is great...but just like others said, it's a longer disc, and overlaps with the Classic Roc.

i threw eco darts for a while and liked them for putting but i had a terrible time overshooting on approach shots. as much as i tried to adjust to the disc i just couldn't get it down. i wanted one putter mold that i could do everything with and eventually settled with the wizard. i'd be curious to what the champ darts feel like though, gummy champ (like the regular star darts) would be pretty sweet.

Super fun disc to play around with. Frank, take one champ out to Sanford or Kentwood and tell me what you score :)

for me the champ has the same hss as the star but more lss(fades a little harder). still has good glide though.

got one up for trade 9/10 maroon stock stamp 175g no ink, hit me up by pm if interested

None of the Darts have stayed long in my bag, and for various reasons...
The Star plastic on Dart was too slippery for my taste (soft but slippery), the R-Pro was too gummy/flexy and the Champion too domey. I havent thrown Dx Dart, only held it, but it seems nice and firm. The Darts I've thrown have been quite similar in stability, but if anything, the Champion was least h.s.stable.

I had a chance to quickly try a Champ XD last Saturday, and having thrown DX, R-Pro and Star Darts, I was really surprised. Despite the huge ass dome, it just didn't want to glide at all, and slowed down really quickly (no doubt the dome played a part in this.