• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte - Where to Stay (or better yet Avoid!)

dobbins66

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Getting ready to book a place for worlds.

Playing Reedy Creek 2x, Hornet's Nest, Sugaw, Angry Beaver & Winget.

Saw some info posted once before but couldn't track it down. What areas of town are OK and what areas should I avoid. Saw one post to stay away from Red Roof near Sugaw. All info appreciated.

Getting ready to book a place for worlds.

Playing Reedy Creek 2x, Hornet's Nest, Sugaw, Angry Beaver & Winget.

Saw some info posted once before but couldn't track it down. What areas of town are OK and what areas should I avoid. Saw one post to stay away from Red Roof near Sugaw. All info appreciated.

Not that I have a suggestion, but I do know that Reedy Creek and especially Sugaw are in bad parts of town.

One of the most notable and dangerous gangs in the world is ran about a block from Sugaw.

Stay away from those areas in terms of hotels.

A few of us from GA are at the Microtel on Banner Elk -- it's more convenient for most of the juniors courses, gets good reviews on TripAdvisor, is right on the interstate, and is cheap (~$60/night with the PDGA member discount). Wouldn't be as convenient for courses on the south or east sides of town, though.

On the 5th, my family stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot in Matthews which was 10 minutes from Killborne and 20 from Eastway, Elon or Sugaw Creek.
Cons: No free breakfast, a bit further from the courses
Pros: Fridge/microwave, clean rooms.
Got a great price through Priceline (I bid $70)
Courtyard by Marriott

Reedy is not in a bad part of town at all, kilborne and eastway are in a worse part of town than reedy creek for sure

DO NOT stay near sugaw

University city is a decent part with possiblely some cheap hotels near the tryon and harris intersection

from university city you can be at bailey, bradford, nest, nevin, sugaw, reedy, kilborne, eastway, rl smith, idlewild and renny in about 15 minutes (20 max) (renny will depend on traffic though but if traffic is minimal you can be there in 15)

that leaves only angry and winget that will require some additional driving

host rooms are all booked

This is wrong.

There are rooms available at The Blake, the official host hotel and event site at the 2012 Worlds rate of $89/night. You can only get the rate by going through the official link:
https://make-reservations.com/Hotel...rlotte/BLA/Blake-Hotel/PROMO-Disc/booking.php

If you try to book through a travel service like Orbitz, etc., it will tell you nothing is available because Worlds has the rooms marked as reserved.

Here is the host hotel notice from the PDGA site:

The host hotel for the tournament is The Blake Hotel, in downtown Charlotte at 555 S. McDowell Street. It is a full-service convention hotel located just a few blocks from the heart of Charlotte's vibrant bar, restaurant and cultural district, the NASCAR Hall of Fame and the Metropolitan Center with its restaurants and shopping. Across the street from The Blake is Marshall Park, offering an expanse of green for relaxing, practice and catch discs.

A very favorable room rate of $89/night is being offered from July 13-22. Reservations are being accepted now online and can be made using the promo code "disc". You may also book by phone at 1-888-664-6835 using the identifier "Combined World Disc Golf Championships."

All tournament courses are within 30 minutes of The Blake, which is located adjacent to the city's inner beltway and just a short distance from interstate highways I-77 and I-85. All official functions of the World Championships will be located at The Blake: player registration, the Players Meeting and the Flymart/Expo. And a nice touch is the hotel will be providing $2 beer specials for tournament players and their guests in the hotel bar and during functions.

Don't wait. Make your reservations today!

This is wrong.

There are rooms available at The Blake, the official host hotel and event site at the 2012 Worlds rate of $89/night. You can only get the rate by going through the official link:
https://make-reservations.com/Hotel...rlotte/BLA/Blake-Hotel/PROMO-Disc/booking.php

If you try to book through a travel service like Orbitz, etc., it will tell you nothing is available because Worlds has the rooms marked as reserved.

The host hotel for the tournament is The Blake Hotel, in downtown Charlotte at 555 S. McDowell Street. It is a full-service convention hotel located just a few blocks from the heart of Charlotte's vibrant bar, restaurant and cultural district, the NASCAR Hall of Fame and the Metropolitan Center with its restaurants and shopping. Across the street from The Blake is Marshall Park, offering an expanse of green for relaxing, practice and catch discs.

A very favorable room rate of $89/night is being offered from July 13-22. Reservations are being accepted now online and can be made using the promo code "disc". You may also book by phone at 1-888-664-6835 using the identifier "Combined World Disc Golf Championships."

All tournament courses are within 30 minutes of The Blake, which is located adjacent to the city's inner beltway and just a short distance from interstate highways I-77 and I-85. All official functions of the World Championships will be located at The Blake: player registration, the Players Meeting and the Flymart/Expo. And a nice touch is the hotel will be providing $2 beer specials for tournament players and their guests in the hotel bar and during functions.

first off that link contains the wrong promo code, should be 1468 according to one of your other posts, but even if the correct promo code is put in i get "there are no rooms available on the selected dates", that is for 7/14 - 7/21. If you remove promo codes there are rooms available at $150 a night. It has been full for over a month now although when i checked after you initially posted the new promo code the rooms were available, i just didnt book because i wasnt sure if i was going to be sharing a room or not...

This is wrong.

I tried your link with the code word and it told me no rooms are available.

EDIT: No matter which dates I put in it says the rooms are full.

Last edited:
I tried your link with the code word and it told me no rooms are available.

EDIT: No matter which dates I put in it says the rooms are full.

that is correct, because "Disc" is not a good code but even with "1468" there are no rooms either and there were when i first started looking a while back

Attachments

• 1468.jpg
    1468.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Disc.jpg
    Disc.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 4
that is correct, because "Disc" is not a good code but even with "1468" there are no rooms either and there were when i first started looking a while back

Yeah, I went back and figured that part out. :wall: :p

Looks like it's full unless you want to pay full price.

Reedy is not in a bad part of town at all, kilborne and eastway are in a worse part of town than reedy creek for sure

DO NOT stay near sugaw

Def. saw a high jacking at Reedy Creek at a tournament once, so I thought the area was bad.

But Reedy is on the north end of town, which is kinda far from most places.

Def. saw a high jacking at Reedy Creek at a tournament once, so I thought the area was bad.

But Reedy is on the north end of town, which is kinda far from most places.

Yeah, Reedy is definitely a safe place. Must have been a fluke.

Reedy is the North side, but the drives for Reedy, Hornet's and Sugaw will be very short.

Elon and Winget will be a 35+ minute drive... (realistically a 45+ minute drive).

first off that link contains the wrong promo code, should be 1468 according to one of your other posts, but even if the correct promo code is put in i get "there are no rooms available on the selected dates", that is for 7/14 - 7/21. If you remove promo codes there are rooms available at $150 a night. It has been full for over a month now although when i checked after you initially posted the new promo code the rooms were available, i just didnt book because i wasnt sure if i was going to be sharing a room or not...

I apologize if I'm wrong, and I'll double check. At our Worlds meeting two nights ago the point was made that rooms were still available. I'll get back to you.

The Blake has plenty of rooms, do not know why it is showing up as no rooms available. You can also try to call them directly, the main line is 704.372.4100. As of last week, we had over 200 room nights open.

Listening to the feedback, It looks like I should avoid anything in the Yellow rectangle area and maybe focus in the White circle areas. There are two of us traveling together and we hit 7 different courses, so trying to look at best for both and in the $75 a night price range. Look reasonable?

picture.php

Latest posts