• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap disc or better plastic?

dave30

Is it better to keep throwing the basic cheaper discs if you are having good results? When I switch to the expensive plastic; I don't play any better! In fact, my most memorable shots were done with a $6 Valkyrie or Beast!

Cheaper plastic generally wears in faster. As the discs wear in, flight characteristics are sometimes enhanced or changed entirely. Higher end plastic for the most part will retain it's flight characteristics and wear much slower.

Why do I seem to throw cheaper discs better? Is it in my head? Maybe it's the fear of losing a $20 disc !!!

The DX plastic is the best for grip and flight, IMO. I have some champion plastic in my bag but prefer the DX.

Wear is not as good with the cheap stuff obviously

Flight and distance is better with the cheap stuff.

World record distance= DX Valkyrie

The Valkyrie broke the record set 10 minutes earlier by a DX TeeBird.

Depends on the disc. I like my champ beast a hell of a lot more than the dx one. But there are a lot of discs where the DX version is better. It just depends

i dont think one is really any better than the other . it all comes down to whatever is working for you.. if dx is putting lower numbers on the score card then go with it :thmbup:

I look at it this way: I hit plenty of trees. If I threw DX, I would end up spending more money than if I threw champ or star. I only have one DX disc in my bag and it is a beat Teebird which I found in a pond. That thing is flippy as hell, but if you hit it just right into a tail wind, it keeps on going and going.

It depends upon if you're throwing in a heavily treed area or around water. Expensive plastic is expensive because it lasts a lot longer.

You have to weigh cost vs durability. If you play heavily wooded course's & hit a tree 4 or 5 times with some dx disc's, they may just turn & burn if you (a)have a lot of power, or (b)throw them into a headwind! I have a 150 Champion Leopard which has hit plenty of trees but still fly's good! OTOH, if you play a course with a lot of water & might lose the disc, dx would be a good choice for some holes due to relatively low cost.

You have to weigh cost vs durability. If you play heavily wooded course's & hit a tree 4 or 5 times with some dx disc's, they may just turn & burn if you (a)have a lot of power, or (b)throw them into a headwind! I have a 150 Champion Leopard which has hit plenty of trees but still fly's good! OTOH, if you play a course with a lot of water & might lose the disc, dx would be a good choice for some holes due to relatively low cost.

4 or 5 hits will not make a DX disc turn and burn, that is a downright lie

If it is working for you don't change it :D. In the long run it will be less money to purchase a Champion Disc over multiple DX disc especially if you play on a rough course. I don't throw much cheap plastic, except Mids and Putters, because I like being able to learn an individual disc and better plastic allows me to keep that exact same disc in my bag for much longer.

So tired of people saying DX is useless.

Yeah,you can definitely hit a tree with DX and it can be done,but that seriously rarely ever happens,and most of the time you can fix the damage unless it actually breaks.

DX & Pro are definitely my favorite plastics to throw.

Try READING CAREFULLY!! I said "hit a tree 4 or 5 times with some dx disc's, they may just turn & burn if you (a)have a lot of power"! "May"! I suppose you've never seen a disc taco'd either? Or cracked in half? Ive only seen dx do this and never Champ or star.

I have done it with one tree hit... Also trashed SE, Pro, R-Pro and star in under four tree hits. Just depends on the hit, speed, distance from point of release. I have also destroyed r-pro hitting nothing other than the fairway...

Have also seen most plastics break in cold weather...

My opinion of durability in order of worst to best:
R-pro
DX
Pro
E-star
Star
Champ

Almost identical in comparable versions of other companies. I did not include SE due to variations in blends.

I throw almost exclusively Champ/Z/HPP. The only discs in base are putters, and ESP zones. Would love a Cryztal Flx or Z zone...

I cant stand discs that change in a few destructive throws. I like trees....

depends on what you're looking for

for me i don't necessarily need more distance, I would rather have consistency and long slow wear

or, just get pro plastic and get the best of both worlds