• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap disc or better plastic?

As to a SWAG for why you're having better luck with DX, Champ and Star tend to be more overstable than their DX counterparts. The flight of DX discs may fit your amount of snap at this point in time better.

I have since improved my game and discovered Westside and Latitude discs!

I have since improved my game and discovered Westside and Latitude discs!

I also now throw a lot of Lat64
But there is just something about dx plastic I enjoy
I live in (the wet side ) Washington, and you can't beat dx for grip when its cold and raining
Most.of my glow bag is dx for that reason

There is nothing wrong with dx plastic, in my opinion. Honestly, most of it really comes down to personal preference. If dx is working for you, stick with it!

IMO Champion is Innova's cheapest plastic. It lasts 100x as long as dx for roughly twice the price. That's pretty cheap.

^^^ You could say the same thing about most premium plastics, especially MVP's. :D

I've managed to beat in my MVP discs a lot more than my champ discs. Though that is like saying granite wears much more slowly than limestone - both are still rocks.

I really prefer DX to either though. Dx firebirds are pretty much the greatest disc to break in ever. They break in to an incredibly straight flying disc with a very predictable fade. My most broken in ones will turn even with a tail wind, but they will always come back.

^^^ You could say the same thing about most premium plastics, especially MVP's. :D

eeeeeeh. champ and opto wear like iron. MVP plastic is great, but i dunno if i'd say quite as durable.

and how 'bout that pinnacle?

OP, i like picking up drivers at a lighter weight in the premium plastic. i love throwing light discs in general for touch shots. so versatile at low speeds. i have no reason to throw DX because i can get light discs that change the flight characteristics and last 100 time longer.

the only DX plastic i will ever buy would be a teebird because nobody shuts up about how great a dx teebird is. however, i feel that after one tree hit it'd be toast...

I think it's what you started with. My first few discs were all Star plastic, and I've never been able to get the feel for DX. My gut says it's just what I'm used to, and what feels good in my hand. Play with what works for you.

I started with almost entirely Champ, Star and R-pro. Moving to DX is a very recent development.

From the time I started playing to this spring I hated the feel of base line plastic. I was Star or Champ type only. I started playing a lot more seriously at that time and just wasn't happy with the grip I was getting with premi plastic without a birdie bag, so I snagged a couple DX disc. The grip was exactly what I wanted with the hot and humid summers here. Now I'm hooked.

I will say that I would have no desire to get something faster than a fairway driver in base plastic. At the speed and distances needed to make those work is just not that conducive to base plastic, in my opinion. It is great for trying out a mold without becoming too invested. For putting, there is nothing better.

I love my Teebirds in DX and my Leos in DX and Pro. I like to try and throw as much flat as I can as I'm still working on form (who isn't) and the variations in flight are great for this, plus you keep the same grip/ feel and get different flights. Win/ Win

I generally throw discs in the plastics they were designed for. Most high speed drivers were designed for star/champ plastic and the base plastics don't hold up as well with the shape of those high speed drivers. Putters, mids, and older fairway drivers were designed in dx and fly a whole lot better in that plastic. With the blunter noses these discs last a long time in base plastics, and many of them fly better after being tacoed a few times and bent back into shape.

I've managed to beat in my MVP discs a lot more than my champ discs. Though that is like saying granite wears much more slowly than limestone - both are still rocks.

I really prefer DX to either though. Dx firebirds are pretty much the greatest disc to break in ever. They break in to an incredibly straight flying disc with a very predictable fade. My most broken in ones will turn even with a tail wind, but they will always come back.

:clap::clap:
I love my beat in dx Firebirds!

The only DX in my bag is a beat Firebird. I've taken a couple good chunks out of it and sanded, fixed and bent it back a few times. Flies much further then a champs with less fade. Great for no wind control driver shots. Great disc. I'm thinking about trying out a Star next as well.

I recently picked up a couple of DX Teebirds on whim to maybe use as water discs. I must say I'm overly impressed. They are out distancing all of my high end drivers and hold the most beautiful lines.

I recently picked up a couple of DX Teebirds on whim to maybe use as water discs. I must say I'm overly impressed. They are out distancing all of my high end drivers and hold the most beautiful lines.

Until you hit a tree. :p

One of my longest throws ever was with a beat 169g dx FB. Problem is dx plastic changes like the weather. Every run is a little different and they don't run them as much as the better selling discs, so if you get a crappy run you may have to go awhile before getting ones you like.

As far as MVP plastic vs Opto/Champ...The core is basically the same as Opto/champ. The overmold is made of the same plastic, though it is mixed with a good deal of weighting agent. This makes it a little less durable, comparable to Star or the like.