• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheapest tee signs until nice ones

edmunder

Are the metal H signs with corrugated plastic covers the cheapest, longest lasting signs that will do for a while?

Local course doesn't have any signs since it was remade with a new layout, holes replaced, etc. People get lost, cant find paths, holes arent numbered, its a mess. I think for maybe $200 I could get 100 24" tall metal sign holders and signs. Then either write on them, or use a laminator and print out good bold simple info.

Any thoughts?

Also I'm thinking of using the old hole signs where possible, or maybe making a mural/artsy looking thing with them in the shape of our state.

Thanks, looking for any advice.

Not sure what you are referring to, but 2$ per sign with anything unique seems unlikely.

Metal H signs - the political signs people put in yards. Those kind, with 4mm metal and then plastic signs that slip into them.

Yard sale signs, wedding signs, parking signs. Those types.

A little moar detail would be helpful.

I think glassila's sign is fine. Easy to interpret and tells you everything you really need to throw.

What more info do you really want? Maybe something indicating current pin position if they rotate.

I think glassila's sign is fine. Easy to interpret and tells you everything you really need to throw.

What more info do you really want? Maybe something indicating current pin position if they rotate.

I think we are on different thoughts.
How it's made ?

I make my own and laminate them for less than $1 each.

Yes can you explain how you are making color signs (with posts?) for $1 each? That sounds wonderful. Do they hold up in the elements? Rain, wind, etc, how long do they last?

Yes can you explain how you are making color signs (with posts?) for $1 each? That sounds wonderful. Do they hold up in the elements? Rain, wind, etc, how long do they last?

Laser print on cardstock run through a laminator, wooden stake if needed, and some staples. In my experience good for a month or two. Cost likely just over a dollar if you have to buy the stakes.

How long until you have "real" signs at the course becomes the question.

We made our own signs while developing our course so we could change them easily, if needed. We made ours using MS Excel, then had them printed on thick paper, ran them through my laminator, then tacked them to a nearby tree. I think we got a year out of them before the course was finalized and we replaced them with metal signs. But they were looking really ragged there at the end. Seven years ago someone in this forum asked me how to make signs with Excel, so I recorded this quick video, if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/8LjLBlyXCFM

I use Google Earth to get the satellite image of the area of the hole/fairway.
Photoshop to to draw the yellow lines, teepad, etc.
Openoffice Draw to make the actual sign (like Microsoft Office except free).
The signs are printed on a commercial printer - signs printed on a home type printer fade very quickly.
Lastly, I laminate the signs with a standard home laminater and laminating sheets.

They last 2-3 years or more. I replace them when they start to fade too much or if they get damaged.

When I say the signs are less than $1 each I am not including the wooden posts. :D

For posts I suggest treated 4x4 posts or 3x4 posts (cheaper). Cut one end at a 60 degree angle to mount the sign board to.
On my 27 hole course I only used 6-7 posts, the rest of the tee signs are mounted to trees.

Do the graphics yourself (I use Inkscape, which is free), print on paper, laminate them yourself (a laminating machine only costs $30), and staple to 1" x 2" x 60" wooden fence stakes (less than $3.50 per stake). (The tree images in the graphic are individually moveable. Our course is heavily wooded and I like to give an idea of where the key trees are located, but this is, of course, not necessary.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 11.09.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 11.09.18 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts