• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ching Roc

Mai31447

Birdie Member
What do they look like? Anyone throw them? What do they fly like? I know Schweb has one, is his just an older model of the ones today from disc golf center with the skull and whatnot?

WHERE CAN I GET ONE???????????

Its a flat top roc that has a full color stamp. You can get a personalized one from zone driven and I believe you can get an x-out deal from them 5 for $25. I don't like them.

I really don't think they live up to all the hype either. I prefer a regular old dx roc with a nice gradual dome. Alot of people around these parts would strongly disagree

I think it is partly a mental thing. When the Rancho came out, it was very flat compared to the Ontario and was a much better disc. So "flatter is better" became a Roc way of life.

Also there is no answer to the question "Buzzz is to Wasp as Roc is to ___." When my friends that throw the Buzzz want a little more stability, they throw a Wasp in the bag and go on with their lives. When a Roc guy wants a little more stability, you do what? Try a KC or try a Ching Roc, I guess.

Anyway, the guys who throw them are very loyal to them. A heavy Sentinel MF does the trick for me, so I could never figure out what the big deal was. They do look cool, though.

I've found the Ching Roc to get a little squirreley with less wear than regular Rocs. Heavy regular DX Rocs will take more of a beating before getting inconsistent.

Guess I'll be the lone Flat Top Roc advocate here :D

Personally, the main reason I like these as opposed to regular Rancho Rocs is the lower profile. I just really like the feel of flat discs (as opposed to domey)...it may just be a mental thing, but having a disc that feels comfortable in my hand seems to do a lot for confidence, which goes a long way if you ask me.

As for the flight of the disc...slightly faster than a Rancho, more high-speed stability, more low speed fade. They definitely start off like a more stable Rancho (think Rancho Roc-x), but they beat into a dead-straight flyer.

I carry 3 in my bag: 1 new, 1 moderately used, 1 very used. My newish ones are used for straight flights with a strong fade at the end, and also for sweeping hyzers. The ones that have a month or two use on them are great for straight shots with zero low speed fade. The really used ones are good for turnovers, or straight shots that fade right at the end of the flight. With those 3 discs I can cover pretty much the entire midrange spectrum (except extremely overstable...I use a whippet for those).

Comfortable Feel + Stable Flight = My Favorite Roc...but to each his own :)

Terrence said:
I've found the Ching Roc to get a little squirreley with less wear than regular Rocs. Heavy regular DX Rocs will take more of a beating before getting inconsistent.

I will agree with this. I have a few ching rocs and they go in and out of the bag because they take a light beating for a few weeks and then I can't seem to figure out when they are going to come back.

Once FT or Ching Rocs get really, really beat, I think they make the best turnover Rocs because they have a more gradual turn after the flip when thrown with hyzer. If thrown flat, they turn sharper. I don't throw them because I hate the stamp coverage (and the stamps are not easily removed with acetone like the foil stamps). Edit: FT Rocs also have less glide than domey Ranchos.

heh.

we seem to discuss this every 4 days.

flat rocs are faster and handle more OAT but don't glide and beat in all f'd up.

the original ranchos were flat compared to the ontarios, but domey compared to the ching rocs.

people are unable to differentiate between good dome and poppy top.

flat tops are poop compared to good shaped ranchos.

Blake_T said:
flat tops are poop compared to good shaped ranchos.

I personally disagree, but that's just my opinion. I don't have any aerodynamic statistics to back it up. For me, the results speak for themselves...they work very well for me.

One thing to consider, especially for those who purchase the majority of their discs online: I've never seen any weird variations of a Flat Top Roc, even with x-outs...so when I go online and order several I know exactly what I'm getting.

Ranchos...not so much...I've seen several different variations all considered to be Rancho Rocs. At home I have 4 Rancho's that are completely different: the slight dome that seems to be preferred, a poppy top with a high dome in the middle only, one with a huge dome that runs from edge to edge and looks more like an Ontario, and an x-out that actually has a caved-in top. All are "Ranchos", but none of them fly similarly to the others.

flat rocs never beat into that sweet flattened hyzer and glide forever roc.

rumor is that the full color stuff is discontinued so you might want to buy up all that you can.

there's still variation in flat top rocs, but it's all on the rim, which most people don't look for in rocs.

there's a certain dome shape that is indicative of a type of cooling/shrink behavior that also happens to form a perfect rim shape :p

flat tops may have been super overstable poppy tops or fairly flat ones as they only appear similar since they are processed to be that way after the cooling is finished.

Ching roc=Flat Top roc

I like them for the dependable stable mid but not stupid stable (which i use a z-wasp). I like the feel of the FT roc and I also like the increased high speed stability which prevents from any turnovers when you miss the angle a little bit. I prefer big bird dx rocs for the straight to turnover roc but for the straight/stable mid give me a FT any day.