• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

City with the most active disc golfers?

Timko

* Ace Member *
And I'm not just taking about tournament players here. Here's the top 3 I can think of.

KC (duh)
Tulsa
Austin

I don't know how active Charlotte is, but I've heard good things.

Austin, Tx fo sho. In Austin and surround suburbs there are over 20 courses. Plus we also have a sweet Disc Golf Country Club (Twin Parks), plus Circle R founded by John Houck not to far away.

I think per capita, Moorhead MN and Fargo ND have to be near to top. They're twin cities with a population of about 180,000 out in the middle of nowhere. We have at least 4 courses in close proximity, and people are talking about getting a champion course up soon (maybe this year, hopefully for sure by next year).

The local league has over 100 players, and at 5:00pm on a nice day you are usually waiting at least 5 minutes per hole (of the 4 courses, 2 are pretty decent and get really packed). EVERYONE knows what disc golf is up here, and it seems like more and more come out every year.

Might not have the huge list of courses like Minneapolis or St. Paul, but for such a small population there is a ton of people who like to throw.

I like how everybody voted for their own city.

I would have to say Austin in my admittedly biased opinion. Per capita too, there's around 600,000 people, and like discjunkie said, probably at least 20 courses within 40 minutes of downtown. Not to mention the Disc Nation retail store just down the road from my home course.

Word.

Raleigh is ok but not crazy.

Charlotte has a lot going on but I don't know if it is as active as Austin.

Midnightbiker said:
In the Houston, TX area there are over 20 courses I believe.

More like 30+ but we still don't have a challenging course for a gold level player so until then H-town DG sucks.

GorillaTactics said:
I like how everybody voted for their own city.

Note how all the people that responded live in great disc golf cities though. The Twin Cities are pretty good. As are 2 locations in Iowa: Quad Cities (blowin' up right now!) and Des Moines (along with Tulsa, the original disc golf mecca).

I don't really understand the criteria, but...

St. Louis has about 300 members in the local Club. We have a nice schedule of non-sanctioned events (two or three a month) and three leagues with around 80 players each. Two other courses have weeklies that attract 12-20 players on a good night. We have seven 18-hole courses (five of them are good) and five 9-holes + a couple of schools that have some baskets on their property and a church camp that has an 18-hole course that they let us play if we follow the rules.

So we have a lot going on.

We also have a complicated thing with GDS in town, which makes plastic politics interesting. Actually we did a pretty good job of being on the outs with the PDGA before Dave started making discs. Not very many of our guys travel other than the GDS pros, and we avoided having an A tier for a long time. So, nobody ever says "disc golf mecca" and "St. Louis" in the same sentence. However I moved to Chicago for six years and tried to stay happy throwing short flat hyzer holes. I'll take the golf in St. Louis any day.

Working Stiff said:
I don't really understand the criteria, but...

St. Louis has about 300 members in the local Club. We have a nice schedule of non-sanctioned events (two or three a month) and three leagues with around 80 players each. Two other courses have weeklies that attract 12-20 players on a good night. We have seven 18-hole courses (five of them are good) and five 9-holes + a couple of schools that have some baskets on their property and a church camp that has an 18-hole course that they let us play if we follow the rules.

So we have a lot going on.

We also have a complicated thing with GDS in town, which makes plastic politics interesting. Actually we did a pretty good job of being on the outs with the PDGA before Dave started making discs. Not very many of our guys travel other than the GDS pros, and we avoided having an A tier for a long time. So, nobody ever says "disc golf mecca" and "St. Louis" in the same sentence. However I moved to Chicago for six years and tried to stay happy throwing short flat hyzer holes. I'll take the golf in St. Louis any day.

STL is BAdAss :lol: I was there for three summers and playing those courses with Nikko, Justin, Garrett, Devan, and Boro also helped the game a little, 8)