• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Closed Shoulder Drill

badfish1054

I put in a good amount of time in the field today and made some really good progress doing the closed shoulder drill. It was the first time I tried this drill and was finally able to really drive my elbow and get a good snap.

I was consistently getting my putters/mids out to 200 and occasionally out to 225-250 just standing still doing this drill. The problem was every time I tried to get my hips/shoulders more involved it would throw me off. I would either turn it over or throw it real high or put it into the ground. So obviously my timing is getting thrown off by adding more movement to my throw and I am messing up other aspects as well.

Are there any tips or techniques to progress from this drill or is it just practice that I need?

Thanks

I put in a good amount of time in the field today and made some really good progress doing the closed shoulder drill. It was the first time I tried this drill and was finally able to really drive my elbow and get a good snap.

I was consistently getting my putters/mids out to 200 and occasionally out to 225-250 just standing still doing this drill. The problem was every time I tried to get my hips/shoulders more involved it would throw me off. I would either turn it over or throw it real high or put it into the ground. So obviously my timing is getting thrown off by adding more movement to my throw and I am messing up other aspects as well.

Are there any tips or techniques to progress from this drill or is it just practice that I need?

Thanks

What drill are you referring to? Last week in field practice I was focusing on keep my shoulder closed as long as possible and exploding once the disc made it to the power zone. I saw an increase in distance from roughly 270' to 300' with my fairways. I have not been able to reproduce since last week.

Probably not bracing/shifting weight properly in posture with x step. Most the vids I've posted in the analysis section should help.

What drill are you referring to? Last week in field practice I was focusing on keep my shoulder closed as long as possible and exploding once the disc made it to the power zone. I saw an increase in distance from roughly 270' to 300' with my fairways. I have not been able to reproduce since last week.

Bradley Walker's closed shoulder drill: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ

It really helped me get my elbow forward and get that snap on my throw. I think it is a great drill. The only problem is that I couldn't throw any further by getting the rest of my body more involved.

I'm wondering if your shoulders should be that closed normally at the hit or if it is exaggerated in the drill for learning purposes? I think I just need to hit the field a bit more.

Probably not bracing/shifting weight properly in posture with x step. Most the vids I've posted in the analysis section should help.

I have watched all your videos and they are great. I am still struggling with my timing and bracing but hopefully I just need more practice.

Bradley Walker's closed shoulder drill: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ

It really helped me get my elbow forward and get that snap on my throw. I think it is a great drill. The only problem is that I couldn't throw any further by getting the rest of my body more involved.

I'm wondering if your shoulders should be that closed normally at the hit or if it is exaggerated in the drill for learning purposes? I think I just need to hit the field a bit more.

That was a great video of something I've really struggled with. Can't wait to try it out, thanks for sharing!

If you look at most pros' form, they have a very closed stance going into the hit. HUB has talked about the toes of your rear foot lining up with the heel of your front foot on the throw and that's pretty much precisely what this drill is and how you see most pros are standing after the plant.