• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Closing a Gap

I'd still put up a sign. Even if it is only a temporary plywood sign on a pole. Let people know the fence is not the parks and climbing it is trespassing. The owner will work to get discs back to them.

At least then you show the fence/property owner that you are doing all you can to stop the issue.

The property owner has "No Trespassing, Violators Will be Prosecuted" signs all over his fence, you can't miss them. Chuckers and quarantine warriors are just ignoring them. We're going to ask him if we can add signs saying who to contact to get discs back.

Also just found out they've bent his fence with their feet trying to climb over, and have collapsed the top rail in multiple places. He just put that fence up a couple of months ago, no wonder he's mad.

The property owner has "No Trespassing, Violators Will be Prosecuted" signs all over his fence, you can't miss them. Chuckers and quarantine warriors are just ignoring them. We're going to ask him if we can add signs saying who to contact to get discs back.

Also just found out they've bent his fence with their feet trying to climb over, and have collapsed the top rail in multiple places. He just put that fence up a couple of months ago, no wonder he's mad.

Damn! I wasn't aware from your posts that the owner had signs up. If they are ignoring his, they will ignore yours - so that isn't a solution. Short of the owner catching someone and actually prosecuting them (making an example of someone), I don't see an easy solution. Hopefully your 're-routing' the hole will make the difference. Putting up a net (like they have at ball golf course driving ranges) would work, but it would be expensive and unsightly.

Could close down the hole while you re-arrange it. Remove the basket and put up a sign saying why the hole is closed for alterations.

Whatever you decide and do....best of luck and I hope it resolves the issue.

The owner has been really good about working with us. He walks the fence every few days and picks up discs he finds, and works with a local player he knows who returns them. The regular players (including the guys who play in the league there) won't jump the fence, and will wait until their discs get returned. But casuals and newbies are jumping his fence and damaging it, and we don't have any way to control them. He's understandably running out of patience.
This is the best you can realistically hope for. I wouldn't want a net up if I were the home owner, and the Park may not like the idea, either.

The best solution is to get casuals and newbs to throw away from there. Mandos, and warning signs won't do the trick. I think moving the pin left will help. If still an issue, move the Tee right (probs more expensive than moving pin).

… or electrify the fence. :eek:

Last edited:
Correct, though the imagery Google used (and UDisc copied) is a little out of date. The wall of trees on the left used to have honeysuckle and vines blocking direct access to the pin, but the parks department cleared it all out for us recently. Now the mature trees are still there, but with very playable gaps between them. I'd like to see the pin moved 20-25' past the wall of trees, on the far left side. That and moving the tee right should convince even newer players to throw right at it.

I'm skeptical that moving the pin 20-25' past the wall of trees will discourage newer players whose throw from the teepad ends up 100' short of the wall of trees from taking the right (existing) gap because if they navigate the gap cleanly, they'll be left with an unobstructed approach to the pin.

I would suggest tucking the pin 10-15' into the woods on the backside of the wall of trees (as shown in the attachment) so that if they do chose to play the right gap, they'll still have to negotiate the woods to reach the pin.

I concur with moving the teepad as far to the right as is practical, but would suggest also tucking it back into the woods, even if it's only 10-15', and pointing it directly at the basket, so that the initial gap they're throwing out of closes off the right side (and, not coincidentally, forces RHBH noob hyzers to finish moving away from the RH gap, with the likely result that the throw-out-and-around-through-the-right-gap route ends up being longer and more difficult to negotiate than the fire-it-up-the-gut route).

Attachments

• revised hole.jpg
    revised hole.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 29
Whatever you do: orient it so that the trajectory off the tee makes it's damned unlikely that even griplocks or newb hyzers will leave park property.

Sadly, I think the best idea, is to simply move the entire hole away from the houses. Tee or baskets. Even bumping up the tee to the property is going to put golfers in contact with the neighbors. They will whiz, smoke, litter or damage the fence and/or property. It only take a couple DB's to get an entire course pulled. This is not the answer you are looking for, but it might be the solution to the issue.

Here's an overhead, along with one of the suggestions for a redesign. There are now additional gaps directly to the basket, but a lot of players are still taking the original gap on the right, and throwing over the fence as a result. I'd like to move the teepad to the right, and move the pin shorter and farther left, just past the wall of trees. Still want to close up the gap on the right somehow if possible

i like the proposed change. after changing the tee, you should see about getting a tree planted 20-50ft off the tee at a 2:00 angle to cut off shots that would head that direction.

I would suggest tucking the pin 10-15' into the woods on the backside of the wall of trees (as shown in the attachment) so that if they do chose to play the right gap, they'll still have to negotiate the woods to reach the pin.

Update: this is pretty much what we're doing. Pin will be a little more toward the middle, but still in the middle of the woods there. The idea is you'll get fewer players pretending they're Simon Lizotte and throwing sky hyzers down the right gap, and ending up in the neighbor's yard. Won't completely prevent it, but should make a large dent in the numbers.

Also, we don't have the option of a new pad right away, as the parks department is about to put in 8 new ones on different holes this week. They've already budgeted for those and we don't want to push our luck asking for a 9th.

I concur with moving the teepad as far to the right as is practical, but would suggest also tucking it back into the woods, even if it's only 10-15'

Not an option. As mentioned above, the trees on the right are over the property line.

This is the best you can realistically hope for. I wouldn't want a net up if I were the home owner, and the Park may not like the idea, either.

The best solution is to get casuals and newbs to throw away from there. Mandos, and warning signs won't do the trick. I think moving the pin left will help. If still an issue, move the Tee right (probs more expensive than moving pin).

… or electrify the fence. :eek:

All correct. I would add that leyland cypress grow quickly under lots of different conditions.

Put a lattice fence up on the one side going up a ways like 20 feet with some kind of hardy for the area roses that will take over that spot eventually and strengthen the fence.

Last edited:
Here's what I ended up doing. Original gap is on the right. Didn't want to move it further left because sawed off RHBH drives might threaten another tee. This way makes it so there's no reason to throw right at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_101556750_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200829_101556750_HDR.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200829_100142745_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200829_100142745_HDR.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 41
One of my local courses is having a similar issue with a property owner. Hole is about 60' wide with a road to the right and then the houses on the other side of the road. Problem is that the hole is 17 and the easiest way to go between 16 and 18. I'm working on a potential redesign idea and will post pics when I've gotten a chance to do an overhead drawing on satallite imagery.