• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clubbin'

Are you a member of your local DG club?

• Sure am

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Don't have one

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
lol I think I am. I am the webmaster for the club site and keep it up to date but I haven't paid any dues this year lol. I guess since I pay for the website out of pocket and it cost about 4-5x the fee to join the club that covers it.

Though certain people seem to want to take over the website and will not give me the information to update it... Yeah our club president is on a power trip.

very cool that you take care of that.

I see that your from Hickory. Looks like you guys got some real nice courses in the area. I happen to already be familiar with Hickory but thats because I've worked with Jon Reep a couple of times. I'm assuming you know who that is.

I am a member of club but we're a statewide organization as opposed to a local one (see the link in my signature). Many of members are also members of their respective local area club.

I'd like to get something started locally but its hard to get anything started in a small city like mine. We certainly need some efforts towards course improvements.

I've been a member of the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization for the last few years, mainly because I feel an obligation to do what I can to help support and promote the sport in the area. Though, honestly, given how little the ADGO has done beyond maintaining a web site and holding a couple of member-only tournaments, I'm not sure why (I re-upped this year mainly so that I could play in the summer member event, which featured a SuperClass tourney in the morning -- something I've been wanting to do).

I'm also on the board of our even-more-local city-specific club. I was involved in the effort to get the club founded and have tried to do as much as I can, since the course is right across the street from me. One of our big issues is that the course, while well established and popular (site of a National Tour event this year and one of the five most frequently reviewed courses on DGCR), it's not actually on the master plan for the park (and thus is viewed by the city as "temporary"), and the city has offered two acres from the park property to the local library board for construction of a much needed new library, so there's a good chance that the site selection for that will impinge on the course. The only way for the local disc golf community to have any significant voice in the process of deciding what will happen was to establish a city-specific club affiliated with the city's parks and rec department.

Since establishing the club a little over a year ago, we've been able to get concrete tee boxes on one set of tees (in preparation for the NT event) and raise the profile of the sport at least a little bit locally. Still have a long way to go, but at least we have an established body through which to influence decisions being made by the city that affect the one course we currently have, and to lobby for additional courses.

very cool that you take care of that.

I see that your from Hickory. Looks like you guys got some real nice courses in the area. I happen to already be familiar with Hickory but thats because I've worked with Jon Reep a couple of times. I'm assuming you know who that is.

Thanks. And yeah he went to my High School. He came and performed my senior year.

Latest posts