• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

As an aside, looking to see if any of my Z Comets were opaque and pearly revealed a lot of upthrown Z Comets in my stash. I need to stop buying MJ Comets and get back to basics. The old Z one with the X Stamp I have left is all cloudy and fingerprinty from the oils leeching out of it, I need to throw it before it cracks in half sitting on the shelf. :(

My favorite Comets are domey Z Comets around 175g. Found a sweet one in a used bin yesterday. My beat, old meatball stamp X is fliptastic though.

Easing back in after non throwing shoulder reconstruction and my form is shixt, doing Comet field work today. FH form is shixt too, guess I can take some FDs with me.

I helped out a couple new guys on Friday by giving them each an X Comet, and they clicked perfectly with em. Nothing like showing some newbies how great Comets are. Now time to restock...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As an aside, looking to see if any of my Z Comets were opaque and pearly revealed a lot of upthrown Z Comets in my stash. I need to stop buying MJ Comets and get back to basics. The old Z one with the X Stamp I have left is all cloudy and fingerprinty from the oils leeching out of it, I need to throw it before it cracks in half sitting on the shelf. :(

Nothing like the one-two punch of a heavy, production Z Comet and a lighter X Comet.

I agree with ThreePutt, don't waste your time tracking down the pearly comets from a few years back...not worth the trouble. The glow's are more readily available. If you can find some these in the glow's, they are crazy beefy and glide for a comet.

Also, the buzzz description 3Putt gave is spot on.

2ef8dc444e08d5a095e7b8413b12c247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old Z one with the X Stamp I have left is all cloudy and fingerprinty from the oils leeching out of it, I need to throw it before it cracks in half sitting on the shelf. :(

I have only been playing for 6 years so none of my discs are old enough to start doing this. My question is this, does the PVC based Discraft plastic blends break down as fast as PE based blends that most other companies use?

I know that PVC is used in construction in place of PE as it is tougher... and Z beats in slower than Champ for sure.

I have only been playing for 6 years so none of my discs are old enough to start doing this. My question is this, does the PVC based Discraft plastic blends break down as fast as PE based blends that most other companies use?

I know that PVC is used in construction in place of PE as it is tougher... and Z beats in slower than Champ for sure.
Maybe? If it does, it might slow it down by a year or two. It eventually breaks down, though. All of the Z discs I have with the old Z stamp (or lack of a stamp) are breaking down at this point. Plastic just doesn't last forever.

I do find it funny that all the desirable CE/pearly Champ/four point Z-type discs I have are cloudy, oily and gross feeling while all my good 'ol DX Rocs still look and feel great.

It sounds like you know more about the polymers the companies use than most, but I can tell you from my stack CE era Z preds that it is much less common to have leeching and brittle plastic than old innova pro and CE.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Haha no joke, I have two ace-race z-zombees of the same weight. I've only ever thrown one in an open field and the other we use as a demo disc to try to rip drives in my classroom into a cement wall. I took both out to throw to see how much the one had beaten in and aside from the scuffs and scrapes, they still fly pretty much the same. I'm suspecting my new z-comet will likely be as durable

4 point pred thats aged on the shelf, 4 point thats still fresh despite being in my bag vs 11x that I bag(ed)
10dea6746e5cdf52d5891770203ef3f0.jpg

No. A Comet is a high-line floaty disc that is best used with finesse and the Buzzz is a low-line "throw it hard" disc. They are just fundamentally different. A Comet with more stability doesn't change that.

Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, the easiest way to get a beefy Z Comet has always been to just get a Glow Comet. That seems way easier than searching for pearly opaque Comets.

What I was truly curious of was the overall stability of those particular Comets compared to a Buzzz. I understand the flight differences in terms of touch vs. power and speed vs. glidey distance. My Buzzzes haven't been responding how I would like (probably because I throw them with a combo of power and high lines), but neither have my Comets to be fair. My MJ '19 is extremely touchy, while my beat Elite-X is finicky on if it wants to turnover or dump out of the sky. I will note that I have a natural hyzer relaese with putters and mids.

My problem with a glow Comet is that I play in snow and have a winter dubs tournament coming up and it has a very wooded back 9, but snow and white discs don't mix. I should get a glow Comet for the summer though.

What I was truly curious of was the overall stability of those particular Comets compared to a Buzzz. I understand the flight differences in terms of touch vs. power and speed vs. glidey distance. My Buzzzes haven't been responding how I would like (probably because I throw them with a combo of power and high lines), but neither have my Comets to be fair. My MJ '19 is extremely touchy, while my beat Elite-X is finicky on if it wants to turnover or dump out of the sky. I will note that I have a natural hyzer relaese with putters and mids.

My problem with a glow Comet is that I play in snow and have a winter dubs tournament coming up and it has a very wooded back 9, but snow and white discs don't mix. I should get a glow Comet for the summer though.

Chartreuse worm dip dye will take care of that. Your local Wal-Mart may carry it if you are in a area that has good fishing local(ours does), otherwise you can order ir.

I mean I know we are in a Comet thread and everything, but it sounds like you want a KC Pro Roc.

I mean I know we are in a Comet thread and everything, but it sounds like you want a KC Pro Roc.

I'm probably gonna get a ton of hate for this, but I carry a beefy Roc to cover the shots that the Comets can't make. They feel super similar in my hand so it works out really well IMO.

On a side note, I love that the Comet thread has more than 300 pages. The Roc has 220 pages and the Envy has 380. I think those are the closest competitors for thread length.

No. A Comet is a high-line floaty disc that is best used with finesse and the Buzzz is a low-line "throw it hard" disc. They are just fundamentally different. A Comet with more stability doesn't change that.

Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, the easiest way to get a beefy Z Comet has always been to just get a Glow Comet. That seems way easier than searching for pearly opaque Comets.

What drivers are you Comet throwers using?

I throw x Comet and a Roc that's probably more like a Z comet as mids and absolutely love em. Wondering if I'd have similar taste in whatever driver you're using

Roc/comet is a proven duo. My Gila/Comet pair isnt that different.

I'm probably gonna get a ton of hate for this, but I carry a beefy Roc to cover the shots that the Comets can't make. They feel super similar in my hand so it works out really well IMO.
I carry a Sentinel as my crutch. It's not as similar as a Roc because it's oddly fast for what it is, but it's the same concept.

I can't carry a Roc as my crutch because when I do I just throw the Roc all day. :eek:

What drivers are you Comet throwers using?

I throw x Comet and a Roc that's probably more like a Z comet as mids and absolutely love em. Wondering if I'd have similar taste in whatever driver you're using
I hate drivers. :| My drivers are generally DX and Pro Valks. I hate them, though. Hate all of them. :| :| :|

*can't throw drivers*

I carry a Sentinel as my crutch. It's not as similar as a Roc because it's oddly fast for what it is, but it's the same concept.

I can't carry a Roc as my crutch because when I do I just throw the Roc all day. :eek:
The gila is much like the San Marino sentinels I bagged back in 06/07. Its great and the speed helps it keep up with the comet distance, especially here @ elevation. Also crowds my wizards less.

Roc/comet is a proven duo. My Gila/Comet pair isnt that different.
I messed up by throwing a whatevertheycallit-Champ plastic Gila that was a bit too beefy for me. Fossils are $$$, though. The only thing keeping Sentinels in my bag right now is the financial investment I have in the stack I've got. :|

Edit: Amber? Is it Amber plastic?