• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
so, add my name to the list of people that read this thread and decided I needed to try one out. I got a 172 Z that has quite a bit of dome. I have not thrown it yet, but thanks to the postman, it's bent. Obviously, I can't wait to throw it, but what is the best way to unwarp it and get it back to it's normal shape? Also, what is the flight difference going to be between domey and flat?

Try placing the bent disc upside down and pouring very warm water into it. For domy, if you have a bowl/pot that is just about the same dia as the disc rim, that's best. Use the counter for a flat disc.

I am ASSuming this disc gets it's glide from the dome, and stability from the wing/bead. So like a Valk, domy is better. But this is my first ever...

I like my Comets fairly flat. I used to have domier ones, and I found them harder to get a clean release with. I think the domey ones fly better on high gliding lines and the flatter ones handle lower line drives better. All Comets glide, so I find the flatter ones to be more versatile. That being said, all of the newer Z and ESP seem flatter than the old LE runs of Z Comets. BTW, I've only had Comets in my bag a week and I've yet to play a round with them without a breath holding ace run, including one ace.

I agree with discspeed on the flat vs. domey bits.

The flat ones are also a hair more high speed stable to begin with and will retain their stability a little while longer because they'll dome up to the normal domey ones shape before beating in past it...

So if my Comet is flat from just about the ring stamp inward, is that a flat one? Otherwise it's certainly climbing up from the rim to that point.

I guess I've officially joined the dark side. I picked up a 175g ESP Comet last Thursday and have played 8 or so rounds since then. This disc is just amazing. It's so far and yet it's really slow as well. Usually I find glidey discs to be not very accurate but it's not the case at all. I throw it like a mid and it works great. I throw it like a driver and it works great. The only think I don't do is putt with it. I tried for big distance on a low line and it still gets there. I head it was bad in the wind so I played a round on a very gusty day and it still was right on the money. I'm not sually one to get all geeked out about a disc but if you have not yet tried it you really should.

TheCrack-1-1.jpg

Last night I birdied one of the most difficult holes on my home course with my ESP Comet. It is a 330' hole with big trees right off the teepad, a tree line on the left and an OB creek on the right that has actually eroded its way into the fairway quite a bit. Straight shots with drivers always fade too much and S shots end up in the creek more than not. I ripped my Comet high with a bit of hyzer and it flattened and rode all the way there before fading. It looked like it faded a bit too much (rtl wind), but when I got up there it was 20'. I'm still loving the Comet

domromer said:
I guess I've officially joined the dark side. I picked up a 175g ESP Comet last Thursday and have played 8 or so rounds since then. This disc is just amazing. It's so far and yet it's really slow as well. Usually I find glidey discs to be not very accurate but it's not the case at all. I throw it like a mid and it works great. I throw it like a driver and it works great. The only think I don't do is putt with it. I tried for big distance on a low line and it still gets there. I head it was bad in the wind so I played a round on a very gusty day and it still was right on the money. I'm not sually one to get all geeked out about a disc but if you have not yet tried it you really should.

TheCrack-1-1.jpg

That's a pretty good throw on hole two. I've seen so many terrible "I didn't clear the first log with a boss" throws.

Luke said:
domromer said:

TheCrack-1-1.jpg

That's a pretty good throw on hole two. I've seen so many terrible "I didn't clear the first log with a boss" throws.

Shit son. I clear that log with a thrashed Wizard! I actually prefer the other pin placement on that hole. I like to throw the Firebird on a big flex shot and watch it air out.

Still no baskets at McPherson. What's up with that! That's alright. I've been mostly down at the Lake Mary Course.

I know, I dominate hole 2. I've actually never played the other placement, I bet it's cool, though.

The lazy parks and rec bastards moved McPherson back to the fifteenth, because they were, and I quote, "understaffed". They told us this, as there were five us, me and and four friends who went to personally ask them. There were three of them playing ping pong, one of whom was waiting for his turn, and then one more who was lying to us. I said, "Give me the keys, I'll call Barley, and we'll do it."

Sometimes I can't stand people.

I played a round there yesterday. Most of pins have sticks stuck into the pipes so you can play it kinda like an object course. I'm probably going to hit up the Old Munds Tree Course. Hopefully it hasn't all been logged out.

domromer said:
I played a round there yesterday. Most of pins have sticks stuck into the pipes so you can play it kinda like an object course. I'm probably going to hit up the Old Munds Tree Course. Hopefully it hasn't all been logged out.

Nah, it's all still there and good.

I might kill a parks and service person, though.

man, since I lost my ESP & Tourney plastic comets last october I haven't gotten my hands on any more.

I still need to try out a Z, too.

I picked up a Meteor after I lost my Comets, and surprisingly I find it to be a very predictable and dependable under stable midrange. It would be hard justifying the removal of it, but I did love those comets, too.

hmmm.

[edit]: my ESP was just like that blaze orange one in your picture . . . Brings back the fond memories. :)

i got my first comet today......and as some one put it they REALLY are sneaky long.....i'm still getting used to the understability (been smoking too many rocs, getting buzzzed and eating cro)......but i'm liking it very much so far

any tips for a new comet lover?

Tips? Yeah... read this thread.

If you want the Cliff's Notes:
be smooth
use slower armspeed
concentrate on snap
be smooth
do NOT try to muscle it, let the disc do the work
don't be afraid to have shorter throws until your form improves. Once it does improve then your Comet and all your other discs will go further.
be smooth

If you don't like it right away then hold onto it. Try it again in a few months (or years.) You might like it then.

marmoset said:
If you don't like it right away then hold onto it. Try it again in a few months (or years.) You might like it then.

This is a golden tip. You never know what discs you'll like as your form changes and having a disc around that you can pick up and check out months or years from now is always fun.

i tend not to get rid of things......except in trades......then i start second guessing.......oh well.....but after throwing it it's not leaving my stable/arsenal/bag/what have you

RS39 said:
So if my Comet is flat from just about the ring stamp inward, is that a flat one? Otherwise it's certainly climbing up from the rim to that point.

anyone?

Latest posts