• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comparing touring DG'ers to ball golf pros

Well... Since we are getting off topic, I'm going to go ahead and post some more sports dominance.

459 consecutive dual meets won by the Brandon (Florida) High School wrestling program from 1974 to 2008. It's the longest winning streak for any high school sport. They even held a tournament where they invited any team in the nation to challenge their unbeaten streak.

http://old.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=6252

..they wrestle a weak schedule.

..not many AA's at the D1 level.

..very good team, but the PA, OH, and CA teams are much better.

Several other people made similar responses as me, although more tact was used. The thread became ridiculous the moment Climo's "dominance" in the early days was compared to, then raised above somebody winning gold medals in the Olympics multiple times. WAKE UP,
I would have quoted you, if I was just talking about you. At any rate we are talking about frisbees on the interwebz...

6232849763bd163e81486ac2c47a07d3f852a5af91a230b9b4acb3aed8ebd608.jpg

I had this conversation with The Champ himself at the 2013 Memorial while sitting in the pouring rain watching McBeth the last few holes. I too thought with our sport being so young, that comparisons aren't right for now. I said I'm sure he hears the Climo = Nicklaus and McBeth = Woods all the time, but I suggested something more like Climo = Byron Nelson and McBeth = Nicklaus and we're still awaiting our Tiger.

I can tell you he said Hell no! He prefers the comparison to Nicklaus and will not shy away from telling you so and why. It was fun experience.

I'm not disagreeing at all. :eek: What The Champ did during that stage puts him up there with very few others in any sport. But my mind did flash to one guy from my region who dominated his sport in a very similar way:

"Edwin Corley Moses is an American former track and field athlete, who won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals and set the world record in his event four times." What made that feat incredible is that he competed against the best in the world for a solid decade, made it through the heats and won every final in every meet for that stretch! :thmbup:
Greatest athlete in the world at that time.

JC I would think (and I have no inclination to look any of this up) that no golfer will ever compare dominance wise to Ken Climo. When I think of majors won, the number of years leading the money list the amount of world titles (I know golf doesn't have a world title) the amount of wins per year and the total dominance of Climo in the early 2000's he would eclipse anything Nicholas, Palmer or Tiger ever did in their career.

Climo is the epitome of dominance in a sport.

Out of curiosity...how many people actively competed in disc golf during Climo's "years of dominance?" How long had the sport been around? What were the incentives to compete in disc golf? What were the attributes that separated him from the other competitors that allowed him to dominate?

Now some questions to answer, which give perspective on the previous ones. How many golfers actively competed during Nicklaus's era of dominance? How long had Golf been around? How many courses were there in the world? What incentives would there be to pursue a career in golf? What attributes did Nicklaus possess that separated him from the competition?

Without having the answers to any of those questions, I still find it relatively easy to dismiss Climo's accomplishments in light of those of Nicklaus. The level of competition was not even a fraction of what it was in Golf. Climo's dominance was more equatable to the kid who failed 4th grade twice dominating elementary school in basketball, than a professional athlete dominating a sport played by millions of people, with hundreds of thousands of dollars drawing the stiffest competition.

I would like to see an argument made that can qualify Climo's, or any disc golfer's accomplishments, as being more commendable than any notable accomplishments of even dominant high school performances. The level of competition is not there yet, maybe in a century or two.

Climo = Johnny Weissmuller
McBeth = Kosuke Kitajima
Wysocki = Brendan Hansen
Lizotte = Michael Phelps
Doss = Ryan Lochte
Shultz = Aaron Peirsol
Feldy = Matt Biondi
Schwebby = Mike Barrowman
Big Jerm = Matt Grievers
Barsby = Gary Hall Jr
Will S = Ryosuke Irie
Nikko = Denis Pankratov
JohnE = Pablo Morales

Climo = Johnny Weissmuller
McBeth = Kosuke Kitajima
Wysocki = Brendan Hansen
Lizotte = Michael Phelps
Doss = Ryan Lochte
Shultz = Aaron Peirsol
Feldy = Matt Biondi
Schwebby = Mike Barrowman
Big Jerm = Matt Grievers
Barsby = Gary Hall Jr
Will S = Ryosuke Irie
Nikko = Denis Pankratov
JohnE = Pablo Morales

:clap:

Out of curiosity...how many people actively competed in disc golf during Climo's "years of dominance?" How long had the sport been around? What were the incentives to compete in disc golf? What were the attributes that separated him from the other competitors that allowed him to dominate?

Now some questions to answer, which give perspective on the previous ones. How many golfers actively competed during Nicklaus's era of dominance? How long had Golf been around? How many courses were there in the world? What incentives would there be to pursue a career in golf? What attributes did Nicklaus possess that separated him from the competition?

Without having the answers to any of those questions, I still find it relatively easy to dismiss Climo's accomplishments in light of those of Nicklaus. The level of competition was not even a fraction of what it was in Golf. Climo's dominance was more equatable to the kid who failed 4th grade twice dominating elementary school in basketball, than a professional athlete dominating a sport played by millions of people, with hundreds of thousands of dollars drawing the stiffest competition.

I would like to see an argument made that can qualify Climo's, or any disc golfer's accomplishments, as being more commendable than any notable accomplishments of even dominant high school performances. The level of competition is not there yet, maybe in a century or two.

Neat

Comparing Kenny to anyone from the 1900s is just not going back far enough. I mean, lets see... the beginning of professional disc golf was, what, the 1970s? So your 1970s guys who'd been beating up their region and only had a few shots at big wins at a national level before they were out of their best years.... those are your Willie Parks and your Tom Morrises. So to find a Climo we'd have to find someone with an extended stretch of dominance in the late 1880s and early 1890s.

Latest posts