• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

contact paper

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I bought some clear contact paper from Wal Mart and I had a million bleeds. OK, not that many but it wasn't nearly as adhesive as vinyl. Did I buy low grade contact paper?
Pretty much looks like this stuff.

contact_paper.jpg

I had the same problem with that too, I used the RIT and near boiling water method and it actually made a cool marbling effect, but that was not what I wanted.

i bought the exact same stuff and had similar results. :\

if i get into it again i will probably just get someone with a plotter to do vinyl for me. the results are just so much more clean.

I used that paper and had zero bleeds, did you use something to really pres it on good (credit card, squeegee, etc)?

i bought some clear contact paper at Target which wasn't tacky enough to even stick to a disc so then i tried white Martha Stewart contact paper from K-Mart and it works great.

best advice i can offer is open the end of a roll in the store and test the stickiness with your finger.

I used that paper and had zero bleeds, did you use something to really pres it on good (credit card, squeegee, etc)?

Yeah but I guess it didn't do that good of a job. The worst part was the fact that I was doing a four pointed star with the points going all the way to the edge of the disc. I could not get the paper to adhere to the rim enough at all to hold. I had to abort my dye after about 5 minutes and clean up the bleeds with acetone b/c the paper was coming unstuck around the edges.

Yeah but I guess it didn't do that good of a job. The worst part was the fact that I was doing a four pointed star with the points going all the way to the edge of the disc. I could not get the paper to adhere to the rim enough at all to hold. I had to abort my dye after about 5 minutes and clean up the bleeds with acetone b/c the paper was coming unstuck around the edges.

on the ones near/on the edge i used scraps to go back and help cover it up, seems to work for me.

on the ones near/on the edge i used scraps to go back and help cover it up, seems to work for me.

I'll try that. Ever tried cutting the paper in a circle rather than a square to help avoid big creases?

I use contact paper(clear) for remasking on difficult or multi-color dye jobs. The contact paper sticks well enough to the plastic, but does NOT wrap around edges like vinyl does. As you said, you tried to wrap it around the disc, to no avail. It's just not as pliable as vinyl -- vinyl is stretchable over the edges, whereas contact paper creases and creates seams.
So, I use contact paper for spot jobs and some detail work, but it's never near the edges of the disc. I use vinyl only for the edges and dyeing near the edge. Hope that helps :D

I've been using that exact product your having issues with for well.. forever.. Its definitely not good for wrapping around the edge of the disc if your trying to make the image carry over the side.

But, It's worked great for me for EVERYTHING else. Its cheap, so I'm pretty liberal with the size of cuts I use to mask the disc... theres plenty to hang on to as I dip it in the pot. I've used it for some very technical dyes that contain alot of detail work. To avoid bleeding I use the edge of a metal ruler and press down and run it along the edges. If you look closely you can notice parts that are secure as opposed to spots that may bleed (they look more clear as opposed to cloudy).

I continue to use it over vinyl as it works just as well as vinyl and is cheap and easily attainable.

ive used something very similar and most of my friends use that exact contact paper. its all about your cutting technique with that stuff. my first dyes with it i slowly removed it and noticed all the bleeds were caused by my poor cutting job. scissors are the enemy...imo...a hobby knife is far more accurate and consistent. for me anyway.

I use white "Magic Cover" brand from Target and haven't had any adhesive issues with it. My bleeds were user error. Now that I'm really starting to get serious about multiple colors, I'm going to use it as my first mask and try some clear (if they make it) for the extra rounds. I haven't tried Contact Paper.

All my dyes have been with contact paper until last night and never had bleed problems. Once I have it all weeded and ready to dye I run around the edge of the contact paper with the cap of a sharpie to make sure it is all sealed up. Works every time. I will say that last night I used vinyl that I had cut and it is a whole nother animal and I am considering going to all vinyl but in regards to contact paper I have never had problems with that either.

Use the "Duck Peel 'N Stick Vinyl covering".
Lowes has it.
It's cheap.
I have never had one ounce of bleed.

I second the duck brand peel n stick. I've never had a bleeding problem after my first dye. That first one was mainly due to poor cuts.

Just started dyeing this week and couldn't find vinyl so I bought the Duck brand contact/laminate film. It has worked great for me so far. The only bad spots I have had are around the edges. When I figure out how to post pics the correct size I will show the work I have done so far. Figured I can't play due to the 18" of snow on the ground so I am working on dyeing all the discs in my bag.

I bought some clear contact paper from Wal Mart and I had a million bleeds. OK, not that many but it wasn't nearly as adhesive as vinyl. Did I buy low grade contact paper?
Pretty much looks like this stuff.

contact_paper.jpg

I have used the same paper on all of my dyes. The big thing is make sure your disc is VERY clean and watch the temp on the dye. Only bleeds I have had were my fault.

i use the same con-tact paper. i like it alot. after i get it where i want it on the disc i hit it with a hair blow dryer to heat up the glue, than i really press it on. i never use hot water bath any more thou, i paint it on or soke it on some suran rap.