• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course loaner disc program

The State Parks in my area have loner discs just they are not the best to steal but are in a bag with the name of the State park on the bag. The discs have the name of the state park in them with a stamp used for the mail stuff but using an ink that will not come off with rubbing alcohol to make it harder to steal.

Great Feedback.

I think we will go with a one disc (all round beginner friendly) since the program is geared for introducing new players to disc golf. The park office also has a selection of other discs for purchase for those who decide to pursue the sport.

The one disc will minimize risk of theft, require a smaller deposit ($5? W/ ID), easier to carry during play, and less investment into the program.

We may vary the chosen disc at each park we
try the program so I am interested in suggested discs.

For Pymatuning, as a little bit longer, but skill appropriate @ red tees course , I am leaning towards a DGA 150 class Squall. This is a friendly disc with good distance potential. The park is ordering a spare basket so a small disc order add is convenient.

I had used the squalls in the past for our Senior Olympics for new players and they worked great. Even our more seasoned players liked them!

They also are stock printed on perimeter of the disc with a big space to add "RANGE DISC" on the upper and lower fight plane.

How about making it self serve? Kinda like those free mini libraries that look like oversized mailboxes. Those are "take a book, leave a book". Yours could be "take a disc, return a disc". Instructions on the side could explain how the honor system works and a warning about bad karma for those who take without returning and good karma for those leaving extra discs. It could be a simple box with a door on a pole. If you put them at multiple courses, discs could be borrowed from one box and returned to a different one. You might have some theft, but it could be that more discs are donated than stolen.

I may give this idea a try at my course. I have loads of discs that I would put in the box and I know a lot of players that would contribute as well. I'm thinking putters, Sharks, Valkryies etc in cheap plastics. I really don't think there would be much theft, certainly not from regular players. There would definitely be some loss here and there due to lost discs.
I think I would allow the player to take up to 3 discs. Maybe even write big numbers on the discs in Sharpie...1-putters, 2-mid ranges, 3-drivers and suggest the person take a 1 and a 2 and a 3.

Great Feedback.

I think we will go with a one disc (all round beginner friendly) since the program is geared for introducing new players to disc golf. The park office also has a selection of other discs for purchase for those who decide to pursue the sport.

The one disc will minimize risk of theft, require a smaller deposit ($5? W/ ID), easier to carry during play, and less investment into the program.

We may vary the chosen disc at each park we
try the program so I am interested in suggested discs.

For Pymatuning, as a little bit longer, but skill appropriate @ red tees course , I am leaning towards a DGA 150 class Squall. This is a friendly disc with good distance potential. The park is ordering a spare basket so a small disc order add is convenient.

I had used the squalls in the past for our Senior Olympics for new players and they worked great. Even our more seasoned players liked them!

They also are stock printed on perimeter of the disc with a big space to add "RANGE DISC" on the upper and lower fight plane.

im still failing to see the purpose of the id

I may give this idea a try at my course. I have loads of discs that I would put in the box and I know a lot of players that would contribute as well. I'm thinking putters, Sharks, Valkryies etc in cheap plastics. I really don't think there would be much theft, certainly not from regular players. There would definitely be some loss here and there due to lost discs.
I think I would allow the player to take up to 3 discs. Maybe even write big numbers on the discs in Sharpie...1-putters, 2-mid ranges, 3-drivers and suggest the person take a 1 and a 2 and a 3.

I give away at least a dozen discs a year anyway. Between tournament CTP's or beginning gifts, I think most tournament players would still come out ahead. I would think anyone in charge of a course, looking for loaner discs could hit up the local players and quickly gather discs for free.

If the Course has water on one of the holes, a disc like a Dragon might work, another good one is the Lighing #2 Driver. The Hydra is the last and not the best choice as it is a odd Magnet style rim putter that is more OS then the Magnet and Clutch putters. It would have been better to stick with the Bulldog for a water putter with its Wizard like putter rim that could float on water as the rim lends itself to driving better.

For the above post why I would recommend a water disc is that players will then have disc lost in water in the first round especially if they know just enough about disc golf, that there are water floating discs and then throw a disc like a DX Shark or Stingray thinking the name of disc makes it a floater disc. I know I did, not paying attention to my uncle who was saying the Rubber Putter I had was a floating disc as it was well under the 172 gram max weight the disc can be to float well when he gave me two disc he had found a DX Stingray at 170 grams and a Rubber Putter at 166 or 168 grams, the weight label had faded so I wrote in Sharpie 166 grams due to how light the disc was.

The State Parks in my area have loner discs just they are not the best to steal but are in a bag with the name of the State park on the bag. The discs have the name of the state park in them with a stamp used for the mail stuff but using an ink that will not come off with rubbing alcohol to make it harder to steal.

Next time you try to rub the ink off try nail polish remover, probably works better ;)

For the above post why I would recommend a water disc is that players will then have disc lost in water in the first round especially if they know just enough about disc golf, that there are water floating discs and then throw a disc like a DX Shark or Stingray thinking the name of disc makes it a floater disc. I know I did, not paying attention to my uncle who was saying the Rubber Putter I had was a floating disc as it was well under the 172 gram max weight the disc can be to float well when he gave me two disc he had found a DX Stingray at 170 grams and a Rubber Putter at 166 or 168 grams, the weight label had faded so I wrote in Sharpie 166 grams due to how light the disc was.

I do the same thing. I throw a Westside Pine. Yep. Swedish Trilogy. This one had a bad upbringing, so despite the fact it's a pine, it wants nothing to do with it's childhood and parents. It avoids pines at all costs. It even tattooed itself with an oak tree. :D

The only advantage of ID's I can see would be if you copied or snapped a photo of it (because you can't keep it). But trying to follow up and collect the list disc fee simply wouldn't be worth it.

If it's a loaner program: collect replacement cost up front. If it's a "rental," collect replacement cost+ rental fee.

Whomever returns a course disc gets the deposit. Encourages people to return disc that weren't previously found.

Make sure people are told up front:
It's possible to lose discs on the course. Watch the flight and pay attention to where the disc lands. Failure to return loaner discs will result in forfeit of your deposit.
Post a sign to that effect.

No disc returned: you lose $5. If that seems too harsh, maybe DG isn't isn't for you.

...cuz it hurts worse when it's your perfectly broken in swirly Star Teebird.

Park might also consider using a pond rake one a month or so for a hole like Pymatuning 18.

Last edited:

Latest posts