• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course vs Nature

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Interesting story in the Detroit Metro area.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/macomb-county/2017/06/26/huron-clinton-metroparks-director/103215344/

A bit of background for those who won't click and read. Though much of this is innuendo and rumor, it is been stated by the MetroPark system that they suspended cutting at the Stony Creek Disc Golf Courses due to the unfortunate death of a white tail fawn and land management in regards to wildlife habitat. I cannot validate that the actual incident happened when cutting the course, it is indeed the reason they are currently not cutting portions of the courses. The story intimates that this incident is the reason for this directors leave.

The MetroParks are a large park system with several parks around the area and a total of 135 holes on 6 courses within 4 of the parks. They have been a huge proponent of our game and these course represent some outstanding facilities. Dual pads, benches, garbage cans and a myriad of park activities. They are all pay to pay courses with park entry fees and are among the best maintained courses in the area.

Most of these parks have annual or nearly annual deer culling to manage the out of control deer populations.

I am saddened over the potential impact on these courses over this situation. While I am fine with adjustments to the mowing and maintenance schedules, I fear an anti disc golf backlash. If the leave of this director is associated with this incident, I think my fears are justified.

What think the group here over the incident and potential fallout.

I don't get it... did the mower (or tractor) actually kill the fawn? They usually run away once something big and menacing gets close, but will remain hidden 'till the last second. I've come up on Bambi a couple of times on my quad and that lil' guy just went running once I got close. So, I'm confused on this point.

I don't get it... did the mower (or tractor) actually kill the fawn? They usually run away once something big and menacing gets close, but will remain hidden 'till the last second. I've come up on Bambi a couple of times on my quad and that lil' guy just went running once I got close. So, I'm confused on this point.

The park stated they actually ran over and killed the fawn. I am not sure if it was the mower or tractor. And I agree, generally animals will scoot, but are not easily frightened out of their bed.

I almost stepped on a fawn in the weeds at Mt Airy a couple years ago. I was in mid step when I saw it and I almost fell over trying to move my foot to the side before it landed on it. The fawn never moved a muscle, just stared at me like, "really?" lol.

oh... that is strange... maybe an overly-anxiety prone Bambi I guess...

This is sad, but as I stated, it is unusual. I doubt that it would happen again in a decade of mowing there.

I almost stepped on a fawn in the weeds at Mt Airy a couple years ago. I was in mid step when I saw it and I almost fell over trying to move my foot to the side before it landed on it. The fawn never moved a muscle, just stared at me like, "really?" lol.

yeah, they'll do that hoping that you don't notice them... but when a loud and big mower comes near enough, they will bolt... I don't know, I only have my own experiences here to go on... so maybe it is an issue.

From a practical standpoint, they were clearing trees for a sports venue. It just happened to be disc golf in this case. In other words, there wasn't something special required during the tree removal process for disc golf from any other reason a tree needed to be cleared.

I know killing bambi seems cruel, but there're lots of bambis. It's the one species that is everywhere. That's because we're now it's only real predator. You'd be hard pressed to drive over a fawn unless it was just conceived or was sick. There's a few day period where they don't move, no matter what. Mom stays away during that period. I can see this happening in a situation where they're clearing brush and material with a big tractor.

oh... that is strange... maybe an overly-anxiety prone Bambi I guess...

This is sad, but as I stated, it is unusual. I doubt that it would happen again in a decade of mowing there.

And seemingly has not happened in decades. These are long standing, well established courses. In very big parks with acres and acres of untouched park land. Not to mention, the issue does not seem to arise from the cutting and maintenance of picnic, waterpark, golf course, boat launch, or playground areas.

Fawns will not move when people approach. I've witnessed it a few times now. Maybe a Marlin Perkins can chime in.

I'm all for preventing unnecessary cruelty to animals, but sometimes **** just happens. Also, its not like this is an endangered species...

...and as someone who has hit a deer with a car, the less of those things around the better. For awhile, a few years ago, I thought I had PTSD or something. After I hit the first one, I nearly hit another the night after my car got out of the shop. It jumped over my hood as I was going slow around a sharp turn, and left a small scratch in the paint. For months after that every shadow I saw made me jump.

We are volunteering at a National Wildlife Refuge this summer. While mowing a small picnic area we came within a couple of feet of striking a bedded down fawn. The fawn never moved, and stayed in the area for the 30 minutes or so that it took us to complete the job. There is now a circle of uncut grass where the fawn lay. I think that very young fawns are genetically programmed to stay put, no matter the threat.

I'm a big advocate of wildlife in general, and always look for ways enjoy the outdoors with (and often because of) wildlife.

The way I see it, regularly mowing the fairways of courses at these parks (or pretty much any park, for that matter) shouldn't result in such tragedies. FWIW, the pic on the facebook post shows growth that's both tall and thick enough to hide fawns and other woodland creatures. That photo didn't look like any portion of what I recognized as the area around either of the courses at Stony Creek... and certainly doesn't seem like a portion of the course they should be mowing.
(M Live article with link to facebook post)

Mowing fairways every 3-4 weeks should keep them from getting so overgrown that they can obscure animals you're about to run over with the tractor. Leave the rough alone... we'll deal with it. keep the fairways to where it's obvious to the person driving the tractor what they are passing over.

From reading both articles, it seems Phifer's leadership style has been controversial for some time, and that the dead fawn incident may have been proverbial the "straw that broke the camel's back" in terms of hastening the board's feeling compelled to investigate this guy.

This quote (from the Det News article linked in the OP) seems quite telling:
Judge Amy Ronayne Krause of the Court of Appeals wrote in an opinion that Phifer "appears to inflict himself upon his unfortunate subordinates in a sufficiently equal-opportunity manner." She said she did not perceive discrimination on the basis of sex or gender. Krause wrote that being a bad boss isn't illegal.

You don't have to do something illegal to get fired. It's perfectly acceptable to fire someone for incompetence.

Macomb Audubon Society president Randy Baker said in a statement earlier in June the metropark Board of Commissioners should replace Phifer as director if he cannot manage the wildlife and resources in the parks.

Hard to argue with the underlined portion of the above quote. :|

I'm a big advocate of wildlife in general, and always look for ways enjoy the outdoors with (and often because of) wildlife.

The way I see it, regularly mowing the fairways of courses at these parks (or pretty much any park, for that matter) shouldn't result in such tragedies. FWIW, the pic on the facebook post shows growth that's both tall and thick enough to hide fawns and other woodland creatures. That photo didn't look like any portion of what I recognized as the area around either of the courses at Stony Creek... and certainly doesn't seem like a portion of the course they should be mowing.
(M Live article with link to facebook post)

Mowing fairways every 3-4 weeks should keep them from getting so overgrown that they can obscure animals you're about to run over with the tractor. Leave the rough alone... we'll deal with it. keep the fairways to where it's obvious to the person driving the tractor what they are passing over.

From reading both articles, it seems Phifer's leadership style has been controversial for some time, and that the dead fawn incident may have been proverbial the "straw that broke the camel's back" in terms of hastening the board's feeling compelled to investigate this guy.

This quote (from the Det News article linked in the OP) seems quite telling:

You don't have to do something illegal to get fired. It's perfectly acceptable to fire someone for incompetence.

Hard to argue with the underlined portion of the above quote. :|

I really agree here, but the large faction of entitled disc golfers certain can be vocal. To the point of hurting their own cause. The static received in the run up to Great Lakes Open by Discraft, over the conditions of the fairways, of Stony Creek was considerable. A prevailing attitude was that disc golf is a cash cow for the Park system, why should the course not be mowed and in pristine condition.

It looks like, at least what I am gathering, is that a very new fawn won't move, but a week old or plus will at some point (yeah, I'm guessing a bit on the age here... but animals grow up fast so a week or so sounds right)... like I said, I have seen them run away, but to add to this, the ones I encountered must have been a little older...

if the grass is kept short, then this won't happen again and the odds of it happening even in tall grass is low... this was just an unfortunate thing that happened once... doubt that it will happen a second time...

So I'm not sure what the fear about this affecting Disc Golf is. None of the articles I've read, or the picture on the bookface link, say anything about Disc Golf. Seems all the blame is going on to the director and mowers.

So I'm not sure what the fear about this affecting Disc Golf is. None of the articles I've read, or the picture on the bookface link, say anything about Disc Golf. Seems all the blame is going on to the director and mowers.

I am hoping you are right. My concern is some public outcry against generalized maintenance for fear of disturbing natural habitat. If the area of concern is the courses, the quality of the courses could be impacted..........or worst case scenario removal or new obstacles in the future addition of holes or course within these parks. They have already altered the upkeep and mowing on, at least Stony Creek, because of this. I realize this is likely a stretch, but we have seem worse in many situation when courses are being considered. Just thought it might generate some cool discussion about nature vs. human recreation development.

Every year that I bailed hay on my dads farm we would get a few of them. Just the way it goes I guess, sad but it happens a lot in the early summer months in hay fields.

Every year that I bailed hay on my dads farm we would get a few of them. Just the way it goes I guess, sad but it happens a lot in the early summer months in hay fields.

yep- we probably kill 1-2 a year with equipment of some sort or another on the farm. as others have said, the deer population needs management anyway.

Fawns will not move when people approach. I've witnessed it a few times now. Maybe a Marlin Perkins can chime in.

Someone who knows Marlin. Many parts are edible! Boy that was a fun comment, thanks.

You're correct, for the first several days they won't move.