• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course vs Nature

I am hoping you are right. My concern is some public outcry against generalized maintenance for fear of disturbing natural habitat. If the area of concern is the courses, the quality of the courses could be impacted..........or worst case scenario removal or new obstacles in the future addition of holes or course within these parks. They have already altered the upkeep and mowing on, at least Stony Creek, because of this. I realize this is likely a stretch, but we have seem worse in many situation when courses are being considered. Just thought it might generate some cool discussion about nature vs. human recreation development.

Deer are way outside their normal habitat, as a guess. That's because we've killed off their predators. While I worry about a lot of species, deer aren't one of them.

I think the bigger issue here is what could happen based on the fallout from public outcry, and a possible kneejerk reaction from Metropark officials.

At this point, the only connection we know of between this and DG is that Stony didn't mow for DGLO (presumably as a result of this unfortunate accident). We have no clue where it occurred in the park, or that in the long run, course maintenance will suffer as a result of it.

All I can say is that I'm glad DG has had a pretty decent track record in Stony Creek, Hudson Mills, and Kensington (and I suppose Willow deserves a mention) for something like 20 years. Let's pump the brakes and see where this investigation goes, and what actions the board decides to take.

It's possible we're jumping to conclusions...

:popcorn:

Someone who knows Marlin. Many parts are edible! Boy that was a fun comment, thanks.

You are welcome.

We certainly are showing our age when we can say we remember watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

On the serious side, from what I read of the news article, nothing is pointing towards DG. Hopefully nothing ever will in regards to this incident.
The comment about it not being illegal to be a bad boss is classic, I must say.

I think the bigger issue here is what could happen based on the fallout from public outcry, and a possible kneejerk reaction from Metropark officials.

At this point, the only connection we know of between this and DG is that Stony didn't mow for DGLO (presumably as a result of this unfortunate accident). We have no clue where it occurred in the park, or that in the long run, course maintenance will suffer as a result of it.

All I can say is that I'm glad DG has had a pretty decent track record in Stony Creek, Hudson Mills, and Kensington (and I suppose Willow deserves a mention) for something like 20 years. Let's pump the brakes and see where this investigation goes, and what actions the board decides to take.

It's possible we're jumping to conclusions...

:popcorn:

Yeah....great post. There is a bunch of speculation in this thread.....dang OP. The TD was definitely told that mowing was on hold due to the incident. I am very glad the park system has get pretty mum on the details. Bogey gets me!! :D

I've almost trod on a couple of newborn fawns over the past few Junes myself. I was told they stay still as their natural defense, in part because they have no scent to attract predators, and they are usually lying in tall grasses but out in dappled sunlight. They're tough to spot (so to speak) until you're almost on top of them. The do indeed 'freeze' until you pretty much turn and walk away, then they bolt.

ps: glad we got our Euell Gibbonses and our Marlin Perkinses squared away!

You are welcome.

We certainly are showing our age when we can say we remember watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

That was one of the very first shows to bring wildlife into our living rooms. Something about Marlin Perkins used to rub me the wrong way,or maybe it was how Jim Fowler always used to get the short end of the stick...
"Let's watch while Jim attempts to circumcise this rabid wolverine."

Man did I like that show.

Last edited:
We accidently kill fawns all the time with swathers when cutting hay. Its sad but not a lot u can do, they will not move and it is impossible to see them in the tall grass. Makes for a bad day when u have to dig a fawn out of the feed area on the swather but it happens all the time.:(

Talking to a buddy who works as a ranger at a golf course. He said, in the spring when the grass crews are doing the first off fairway cut of the season, they have a guy that walks out in front of the mower with a stick, poking wildlife to prevent such an issue.

Do even know if the fawn was alive when ran over? Could have been a still born laying there.

I think this is a rather bad reason for shutting down course maintenance. If a county crew smokes a few critters while mowing medians and ditches, do they stop? Or even notice at all?

It sucks to see a fawn get killed for no reason, but s*** happens.

The one I really remember was when Jim had to wrestle the anaconda... in the river. He had to hate Marlin even if it wasn't really Marlin's idea.

Btw, watched this in a restaurant. You sir, are responsible for the pad thai coming out of my nose when I laughed.

Latest posts