• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID-19 Course Closures

Your zeal to troll leaves you posting an irrelevant word salad. My post was simple. Frustration at a handful of entitled, selfish golfers, disinterested in following the most simple of rules. I also had several courses closed at the time. Initially open, with plenty of signs warning that rule breaking would result in closure. The "ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do" crowd......under the impression that their right to do as they wish and their "rights" are more important than others, got the courses shut down. A touch of insight would have you realizing my post [and J Dubs] were on the behavior of people, having little to nothing, to do with a virus.
You posted plenty about the "virus" while slandering everyone that took a stance opposite of you. I should apologize for having more knowledge than you at the time, but I won't.

I'm a little amused that someone would dredge up a 4-year-old thread just to retort to a quote, and then miss the point of that quote (which was about breaking rules, not the rules themselves).

I'm a little amused that someone would dredge up a 4-year-old thread just to retort to a quote, and then miss the point of that quote (which was about breaking rules, not the rules themselves).
That 4 year old thread needs to be dredged up and talked about. I got some pushback on some of my posts about the COVID vaccines and the RULES that were imposed on us during that time.
For example:
6 foot rule had no basis in science, other than some antiquated study.

Paper and cloth masks DO NOT stop the virus.

Vaccine mandates. REALLY! No one should be forced to take any trial medication they are not willing to take. PERIOD. Many have suffered (some have likely died) or lost their jobs because of this mandate. Childhood vaccines have been vetted over the years, so I will grant you those. COVID was a rush job and did not go through the normal process.

Closing schools was extremely detrimental to our school age kids. That learning loss will never be made up by those kids.

Closing restaurant dining rooms or forcing them outside caused many restaurants to fail completely. Many other businesses were affected adversely also.

Forcing crowds of people to wait outside a store because store capacity had reached some arbitrary number is insane, it goes against their own 6 foot rule.

One way shopping aisles in grocery stores. What did this one accomplish?, nothing, we are all breathing the same air in that store.

So, the point that seems to escape those that were ALL IN on the propaganda is:

Rules that are mandated and/or are based on lies, are not rules we should obey. We should challenge them with every fiber of our being. If the powers that be, were able to destroy all of those livelihoods with a MANDATE, due to a CRISIS, what will the powers that be try to get away with next time, or the time after that. How many rights must people surrender based on lies? I would venture a guess that number is 0.
I strongly believe that locking down society only lengthened the time it took to get past this, 2 weeks to slow the curve turned into 2 years.

A little show of contrition from ANY of those that helped spread the lies, would be nice, but is highly unlikely.

Still proudly unvaccinated and unboosted.
Binky

Hey remember that time we intentionally demolished the economy during the pandemic then we gave millions of loans out totalling over 700 BILLION DOLLARS to millions of recently created fictitious businesses then FORGAVE THE LOANS.

Sure would be nice if ya'll lockdown fans would come to the table and admit you know why we forgave those loans.

I'm old enough to remember when politicians laughed at model showing 140,000 Americans dying from the virus. Saying it was preposterous that many people would die.

The number as of June 14,2023 was 1,134,641, 10 times what the models indicated. It was a colossus failure as a country to contain the virus.

And yet people still wish to listen to the words of politicians over scientist and doctors. Ludicrous

That 4 year old thread needs to be dredged up and talked about. I got some pushback on some of my posts about the COVID vaccines and the RULES that were imposed on us during that time.
For example:
6 foot rule had no basis in science, other than some antiquated study.

Paper and cloth masks DO NOT stop the virus.

Vaccine mandates. REALLY! No one should be forced to take any trial medication they are not willing to take. PERIOD. Many have suffered (some have likely died) or lost their jobs because of this mandate. Childhood vaccines have been vetted over the years, so I will grant you those. COVID was a rush job and did not go through the normal process.

Closing schools was extremely detrimental to our school age kids. That learning loss will never be made up by those kids.

Closing restaurant dining rooms or forcing them outside caused many restaurants to fail completely. Many other businesses were affected adversely also.

Forcing crowds of people to wait outside a store because store capacity had reached some arbitrary number is insane, it goes against their own 6 foot rule.

One way shopping aisles in grocery stores. What did this one accomplish?, nothing, we are all breathing the same air in that store.

So, the point that seems to escape those that were ALL IN on the propaganda is:

Rules that are mandated and/or are based on lies, are not rules we should obey. We should challenge them with every fiber of our being. If the powers that be, were able to destroy all of those livelihoods with a MANDATE, due to a CRISIS, what will the powers that be try to get away with next time, or the time after that. How many rights must people surrender based on lies? I would venture a guess that number is 0.
I strongly believe that locking down society only lengthened the time it took to get past this, 2 weeks to slow the curve turned into 2 years.

A little show of contrition from ANY of those that helped spread the lies, would be nice, but is highly unlikely.

Still proudly unvaccinated and unboosted.
Binky
mRNA science began in 1961. The first approved mRNA vaccine for use in humans was in 2013. Was also used in animals to successfully treat MERS virus in the 2010s. I understand the heeby jeeby feeling to get the shot for COVID as I felt it, too. I can't disagree that maybe it felt 'rushed', but science has been working on this technology for decades and ultimately I decided to put my faith in scientists and medical professionals. I have faith and trust in so many other thousands of things that are out of my control, too - like food supply, water supply, pilots, fellow disc golfers that yell 'Fore', oncoming drivers that don't cross the yellow, dividing line on 2 lane highways and smash into me head-on, etc.

I think your use of the word 'lies' is too strong and insinuates that government, and scientists, and professionals had nefarious motives. Most people are good and decent and try their best, especially at their jobs.

COVID is/was a nasty virus. We (the world) were unprepared. There was a lot of running around with our heads cut-off in response. (See 'The Office' Fire Drill scene as a good comparison). And yea, for 2 years life activities kinda sucked. For many, it was depressing and scary and isolating. But a lot of us discovered new activities (disc golf), some of us read all the classic books we've been wanting to read for decades, learned to cook and bake, remote work, etc.

We've got a COVID scab that's trying to heal. Do we wanna constantly pick at it or perhaps bandage it, let it heal and move on?

Anyway, lots of people died, and had rough deaths, and that is very sad. We would all be better off acting and talking with some degree of kindness, understanding, and grace. Not just about COVID response, but in our day to day lives.

I'm old enough to remember when politicians laughed at model showing 140,000 Americans dying from the virus. Saying it was preposterous that many people would die.

The number as of June 14,2023 was 1,134,641, 10 times what the models indicated. It was a colossus failure as a country to contain the virus.

And yet people still wish to listen to the words of politicians over scientist and doctors. Ludicrous

Oh, heck. When the number of deaths were several dozen but expanding rapidly, I posted on Facebook that, at that exponential rate, we could see 30,000 deaths. One of my MAGA friends called me a fearmonger.

I predicted at the time that they'd go from (1) people won't die to (2) the deaths weren't from covid to (3) the number of deaths was insignificant ("99% survival!"). Nailed it.

I was also inundated with memes saying "H1N1 killed 12,000 under Obama, and no one shut down the county". At least those memes only lasted a few weeks.

Anyway, the post that revived this thread is based on these personal options:

The rule was made by someone authorized to make rules, but I disagree with it, so
(1) I will endeavor to get it changed; or
(2) It doesn't apply to me.

Civil disobedience is a fine social tool, but requires recognition of the rules that are being defied, and the consequences. Including the consequences to others.

Individual nullification ("rules don't apply to me") is just selfish anarchy, and often leads to the consequence that the rules will, in fact, apply, whether you believe in them or not.

6-foot rule was developed early in the pandemic, based on limited information about droplet transmission for other coronaviruses. As further data was gathered, it turned out that aerosol transmission was more of a threat with Covid-19.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those who were trying to make life or death decisions based on inadequate information.

The stunning thing to me is how little research had been done on respiratory virus transmission. When Covid hit, we did not even have good data on influenza transmission.

With regard to whether COVID vaccines saved lives, I have posted this graph before:

Covid death vax status.png

Covid was dangerous to many at risk people and we overreacted to it.

Both can be the same.

Once our country learns that the truth is always in the middle, we will be so much better off.