• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy playing styles/throwing techniques... That work?!

Unless his left foot is behind his mini, then that looks like a foot fault to me...

And I used to have an old USDGC DVD featuring Ron Russell. Didn't he put with rattl'rs (sp?)?

I watched a few times looking for his mini, it is looking like a foot fault.

I throw flicks with a pinch grip, if I put any fingers in the rim is a forehand roller. I don't know if you can consider it to be 'working' though, they go around 260 with good fade. More of a utility shot for me.

First one that comes to mind is Ms Azie Rogers from this video from the 2016 Phoenix Ladies Open posted today- what a run up!

See 1:10

First thing that came to my mind, too! She's instantly one of my favorite players.

Also, for any of you local Marylanders (or perhaps those of you in nearby states) -- the most unique player of all time has to be Tom Edwards-- king of the chicken wing.

Is that with your thumb on the bottom of the disc and fingers fanned on top?

If so I've heard it called a "caveman" throw. It's useful for ultimate since,
1.) It's an unexpected throwing motion, so tough to defend.
2.) You don't have to re-grip if you catch the disc with your thumb on the bottom, so it can be a very quick catch-to-throw transition.

I've only ever seen one person consistently throw a golf disc in that style: Glen Whitlock (#3513). He could place them pretty well in the 250-300' range, but it just looked super weird.

YEAH!!! I wondered what it was called! Did Glen Whitlock do a 360 with it? I have almost no consistency with it driving, however on a more refined/toned down approach shot I can place it wherever I care too. It certainly is not practical but it is a fun one to unleash in a casual round and wait for the "wtf" comments lol

My buddy Mark will drive using a sidearm thumber sometimes. He sets up like a pitcher and comes out of a windup. It's effective for him and a sight to see!

A couple guys that play locally use the "gunslinger" approach and shoot from the hip. One dude I know putts in this style and the other one uses it for approach shots inside of 150'.

saw a guy throwing rollers with the flight plate facing the side of his face and thumb tucked inside the rim like we was trying to put forward spin on the disc before it hit the ground yet couldnt control angle or speed much at all... I dont think this is even a real shot it is like the reverse grip FH roller? Lol.

I can say out of the many times used it was often followed by swearing.

saw a guy throwing rollers with the flight plate facing the side of his face and thumb tucked inside the rim like we was trying to put forward spin on the disc before it hit the ground yet couldnt control angle or speed much at all... I dont think this is even a real shot it is like the reverse grip FH roller? Lol.

Scooby Roller maybe?

I use this shot you're describing. I use it as a rescue shot with my putter mostly. I call it a thumb roller. It's good when there isnt much room to swing and your just looking to get out of some rough and curl to the left. I use it when there is no room for an air shot or skip shot or i'm trying to throw through a small gap (throwing the disc vertical allows you to squeeze thru gaps that would be to hard to hit with a horizontal disc). It is a pretty reliable rescue shot for me.

Then there THE 360 CHICKEN WING................

Ha, played with an old dude recently who Chicken Winged every drive. After finishing that round I played another. I look at a player on a different hole (not the same guy) and he is also using the Chicken Wing as his primary drive. Two Chicken Wingers in one day - now that's just crazy.

Also, the dude I played a round with was hurting 3/4 of the way through. This type of throw is horrible on the body.

I think the point for Brad and Ron R. was mental, but I'm speculating. I knew an old timer that played some rounds with Ron and said he taught him a lot about the mental game. It seems like an effort to make sure you don't overthink it, which we have all done when staring down a putt or tight lined drive before. Just give it one look and let your muscle memory do the work.

I use this shot you're describing. I use it as a rescue shot with my putter mostly. I call it a thumb roller. It's good when there isnt much room to swing and your just looking to get out of some rough and curl to the left. I use it when there is no room for an air shot or skip shot or i'm trying to throw through a small gap (throwing the disc vertical allows you to squeeze thru gaps that would be to hard to hit with a horizontal disc). It is a pretty reliable rescue shot for me.

So basically, instead of throwing a rescue forehand roller you throw the same line, but with a awkward/less powerful motion?

I throw thumb rollers for sure, but the flight plate is opposite of my forehand rollers. I find it much easier and less risky in some cases to throw a short thumber roller than a finesse cut roller via forehand. It is certainly much harder to throw with power, but once you get the angle down (elbow pivoting toward you body rather than away) it's very consistent on short trouble shots.

So basically, instead of throwing a rescue forehand roller you throw the same line, but with a awkward/less powerful motion?

I throw thumb rollers for sure, but the flight plate is opposite of my forehand rollers. I find it much easier and less risky in some cases to throw a short thumber roller than a finesse cut roller via forehand. It is certainly much harder to throw with power, but once you get the angle down (elbow pivoting toward you body rather than away) it's very consistent on short trouble shots.

OK, I get what Aim is referring to know - I'm blocked from Youtube at work, but there is a video (search Dave Greenwell rollers) and this is what you guys are talking about right?

I've never tired this version, but it looks to be pretty good. I guess if you want something to turn left a forehand roller makes much more sense to me and easier to control, but without trying this shot I can't assume that and maybe it produces a more advantageous turn for some throws. As far as right turning rescue roller though - flipping the flight plate and throwing it like a forehand roller but with opposite angle at release is where it's at.

So i'm not very good at forehands. I throw forehands with a 1 finger grip. I will on occasion throw a forehand roller with a driver. But this rescue shot i'm referring to is a shorter shot. I can get them to go about 75-100ft if I want but usually used on shorter distances. I have much better grip on a putter with better angle control when I use a thumb grip. My thumb and meaty part of my palm fits nice on a putter.

1471a611859e.jpg

7aa230203d71.jpg

Is it Eric Oakley that has that odd little hop out of his X-step? Almost like a sideways crow hop if I remember correctly.

and you throw it like a roller right?

BRANDO IS THAT YOU?! :p

Yes I throw it like a roller. Land the disc at a 1-2 o'clock angle and depending on how much spin you put on it it goes out straight and then falls/curls to the left when it slows down.

I just looked at the players at the Gentlemen's open, and saw Azie Rogers. Like a few other folks mentioned, I saw the video of her playing the Phoenix Open late last year. I honestly cackled when I saw her first drive.

Then I saw how far it went.

Then I found out that she was 13.

Holy... :eek:

If she gets her putting in order, she's going to be killing it.