• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

"Would you like to buy some car insurance?" [At Oaks DGC @ Blue Angel Park #19]

IMG_0516.JPG

Was fanning through some tall grass for my disc, when came about 6 inches from putting my hand right in this thing's web!!! I almost had a heart attack...

garspi3b.jpg

I ran into several of these today at Renny while out on the course. Needless to say I wasnt stupid enough to pick one of these suckers up.....
cowkilr.JPG

It's called a Cow Killer....(and no, they cant kill cows)....They supposedly have a nasty sting that is extremely painful. They are basically a "wingless wasp" so to speak. So if you ever see one of these DO NOT try and pick it up! LOL! Red means,

!WARNING!: I will straight sting yo a**!

Yes, they have a nasty bite. I stepped on one as a teenager. Hurt like everloving hell until I got the stinger out (they do have stingers, it appears)

My buddy and I came across a baby robin that was trapped dangling from a thorn bush. Being generally good people, we decided to try and help. I got a couple sticks and attempted to lift the bird out of the bush. It started squawking at me. I said, "Chill out, bird, I'm trying to keep you alive." It didn't listen to me.

Pretty soon another robin, whom I presumed to be the mother, started making a whole big scene. Then a bunch of other robins --like 10 of them-- flew to the nearby trees and all kept yelling at me. All of a sudden, the mother robin dive-bombs my head with its mouth open. I ducked out of the way and swore to never help an innocent, utterly defeated animal ever again.

Then I went to KFC and ate some chicken.

Your comment reminded me of the show "Wrecked" about the heavy duty Wrecker drivers. They went to rescue a wrecked truck with a load of pigs in the trailer, and the Wrecker driver said he felt bad , because he had just had a ham sandwich.

A few days ago I threw a 2nd shot roller at Schumaker Pond, hole 12 - field hole, wide open. About 2/3rds of the way to the basket, the disc popped up about a foot in the air like it had hit something. The grass gets cut pretty often and there are rarely any sticks laying around, so I wondered what had happened. Walking up to get my disc, I saw a box turtle about 10 feet away from it. Poor little guy must have wondered what the hell had happened....

That is pic of a duck that my buddies dog scared out of the creek on hole 18 at Jaycee park in Kentwood MI. I heard flapping wings, turned around as it flew into and got stuck in the fence. It was knocked out for 30 seconds or so. I pushed the fence back and it fell out landing on its feet, waddling away swearing in its duck language.

Attachments

• Photo0001.jpg
    Photo0001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 84
Predator and Prey in action... on a small scale.

Hudson Mills, Monster - my son and I were walking down the fairway after teeing off, when something moving caught my eye. Put my hand out to stop himy son and assess the situation. Turns out a small frog was being chased by a striped garter snake. The frog would hop a couple of times, then stop. Whne the frog hopped, the snake would react move off in that direction, then stop and lift it's head up about 1/4 it's length, and look for the frog. The frog would jump and the snake would react. the frog would stop and the snake would raise periscope again. It was cool to watch this game of cat and mouse for a few minutes. Eventually, the frog made it to the cover of some nearby bushes, apparently the victor in that encounter.

I took a friend of mine to play for the first time, and the course is usually covered with Banana Spiders ( spiders as big as your hand) . His disc landed about ten feet from a huge web with a spider in it, and he had no choice but to put his next throw right through the web. After the threw, he said "I bet that would be like a flying saucer coming though your living room." It gave me a laugh.

Seen coyotes, jack rabbits, snakes, spiders and lots of hawks. One day there were two hawks overhead basically "hovering" on thermals, it was kick ass to see.