• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

we make the guy who throws the worst hole wear a reindeer hat for the next hole every now and again. Well, we did anyway... until one particularly angry guy threatened to throw it in the lagoon.

we're lousy with red tail hawks. There is a family of them that live on number 8.
The last five or six times I have been out, I see one with a poor squirrel pinned to the ground ripping out the tree rat's throat.

We also have a racoon that runs between 18 and 9 every evening near sunset.

you also see the occasional groundhog near our creek.
not bad for a "city" course.

Last edited:
A bunch of had just T'd off at one of the local courses (Stilicum) when this ruckus came from the left by hole 18. It was a dog chasing a lone racoon. Before we knew the racoon was up in the tree and the dog was trying to do the same. We convinced the owner his dog was better off leaving the racoon alone. All had was my camera phone with me at the time so the picture is not the best.

I also had an encounter when I tried taking a picture of an owl, but he looked at me as though he was going to have me for breakfast so I decided to leave him be....

pw

Attachments

• Rocky the Racoon.jpg
    Rocky the Racoon.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 251
Part of me wants to knock about 6.0 the ratings of courses with grizzly bears and mountain lions. If I wanted to risk my life I'd take up extreme sports.

Ah, but those courses tend to be in beautiful places where I have to add 6.0 back, just for the scenery.

In our recent tournament a guy was putting from a creekbed when a snake slithered down the bank between his feet. He and the snake did a terrific 5 second dance between the snake had enough, dove in the creek and left. The player then missed his put; something about an adrenaline hangover.

(Didn't get a good look but almost certainly a non-poisonous snake....but they still do lots of ligament damage).

Circling Pratt Park throughout the 34th Virginia States:

30544_117612551599611_100000526003337_189356_4620164_n.jpg

I've seen these guys quite a few times at Rankin. That's one of the cooler things about my home course. It's a great place to see some different birds.

I saw a rapid raccon at Genesseo and at everytime I play Seneca I see chipmunks, squirrels,and tons of deer.

jesus! Makes me glad I play in Mass... I've just seen some wild turkeys... I make funny noises, and they do the same, they're not going to KILL me...

I have come across snakes (a couple rattlers), horned toads, cranes, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, scorpions, crows, hawks, falcons, etc... You will see a love of interesting things at the desert courses in AZ and the wooded courses in other areas.

One of my friends found a dead body on hole 7 at Grand Woods Park in Lansing. Does that count?

Ha a friend told me about that, was there the day after.

Wild turkeys, snakes, frogs, turtles. And today there were 3 huge hawks circling the sky, someone said they were red-tailed. Honestly though, I couldn't tell what they were.

tons of colorful peacocks all around #1 at Horning's Hideout (Oregon). domesticated though...

and in Iowa, deer are everywhere. even seen one prancing through the mall parking lot before...

Seen alot myself. Two days ago, I actually identified a snake as a ground snake milliseconds before I grabbed it. Turned out to be a rough ground snake. I'm the local 'croc hunter'.

Would now be a good time to preach conservation? All I ask is let them live. Let them all live. Hot or not.

Latest posts