• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cro vs Spider

Hmm.. Picked up a DX Spider over the weekend. Hit a field with it yesterday and got some nice flights out of it. Could shape it farily well, maybe better than any other disc I've thrown. However went to another practice spot today and realized I probably throw my driving putters farther... Not sure where this leaves me with this disc, I was hoping to get more distance than my putters and that seems to not be the case, however I've not thrown in a week or two and my overall throw felt really weird today when I was throwing it so I might actually be able to throw it farther. My BH form is far from consistent and it seems no matter how much I practice I can never seem to throw the exact same way more than 3 times out of 10. I'm really close to just sticking with sidearm and saying screw it lol.

I could see the Spider not going much farther than a good driving putter. The Spider will get there a little faster and not require quite as much height, so they're less affected by wind. They only glide at speed and die off pretty quick when they slow down.

The Spider is okay at everything but excels at nothing. A solid but unremarkable mold. Good disc for one disc rounds since they are so damn neutral. Champ Spiders can handle a surprising amount of power.

Took the Spider out to a course for the first time yesterday for some one disc action. Stepped up to my first hole and threw it FH. It floated out really nice and faded and hit the yellow ring around the top of the basket... My first throw with this thing on a course and it was inches away from my first ever ace... I went on to play wtih it for a while and realized it may just be the best forehand disc I've ever thrown in the midrange/putter distances. Very workable with pretty predictable fade on the end. And for the "no glide" issue, this slightly beat up DX had plenty enough glide when I threw it FH. A couple of times it seemed to just keep going when I wasn't expecting it to. Another interesting thing was my ability to hit some outside the circle shots that I'm simply not accustomed to making. I nailed 3 or 4 50-100 ft upshots in my less than half a round. This thing may very well find a spot in my bag, as well as a max weight and/or premium plastic version. It may excel at nothing but I came away impressed to say the least...

i think a spider my be better discribed as an approach disc then a mid. very little glide very accurate disc. used a champ spider for years. never liked the star much the ones i had some -hss issues that the champ didn't.