• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cross-tailwind Drives

Johnnytothec

Bogey Member
Last month we had some very strong winds, so I went out to a field to practice. When I had a right to left quartering tail wind (rhbh), I could throw hysers that rode the wind and were probably the longest flat air throws of my life. When I changed to a left to right wind, my throws were going 200-250' shorter.

I would release anny, but because there was such a big tailwind, the disc would flex out too soon and then the disc would stall, and with the wind pushing on the top of the flight plate the disc would quickly fall.

On a calm wind day, a medium height anyhyser is what I use for maximum D and the disc does not stall, but when I have a left to right wind, a tail wind, or a right to left quartering tailwind, I just cannot throw an anny without stalling. When throwing in these conditions do you do something different to get added nose down, or is it that calm winds are masking a nose angle problem that more difficult conditions bring out?

Sidearm?

I actually don't throw much sidearm as getting a good throwing motion that doesn't hurt my elbow results in the disc turning and burning. If I focus on the release, it flies nice, but doesn't go all that far.

I experienced the same thing the other day. Don't really have a solution to it, although once in a while, I'd get that left to right tailwind and had some nice results. The skips I was getting were amazing, too.

Also use a slower, and/or more understable disc. The disc will tend to act more overstable in tailwinds.

Also very important is that you throw NOSE DOWN. Especially on an anhyzer tailwind line, if you dont manage to get well nosedown, it will flex out very early and be pushed back down.

Afaik Sandströms record throw was with a light Valk that was thrown anhyzer!! Although he throws it very high to begin with

With good technique thats the wind directon preferred for long throws.