• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Curious Question

cburke5

So my friends and i always wondered what you call an ace that wasn't on your first throw off the teepad. We do it alot when we are just screwing around when we are not playing a serious round. I'm interested in hearing your guys' take.

This is a pretty divisive topic. Here is how I look at it: Let's say you drive and use your drive as the marker for your birdie putt. You miss the birdie but right after you miss it you take your driver and make the putt. Is that a birdie?

From my point of view you are practicing. It's like practicing putting and hitting a 50ft'er or throwing a bomb of a drive in a field. In all reality it's still cool that it happened, but if it doesn't count as an ace on your scorecard I think you'd have to add a 'disclaimer' that you were just goofing around. I'd still be really happy to have an ace under my belt even if I had to claim that. :lol:

Well I know it is not an ace. I guess what I'm looking for is if there is a disc golf term for that.

Everyone here always says a field ace is any shot that's longer than a putt or approach that goes in the basket.

We call what you're curious about a practice ace.

I call it a "bucket"

doesn't count for an ace in any way whatsoever, which means that like frank said, I keep my $5.

discgolfer09 said:
Didnt Bonds have to put a * on his record do to the whole steroids controversy?

If he did, I would say its a Practice Ace or a Ace*

or even an ace-terisk

I guess it all depends on who you are playing with and what the situation is. The group I roll with would call it an ace if it was from the tee into the basket in one shot. However, the difference is that it is not a money ace. We define a "Money Ace" as anything that affects the scores of our league events, match-ups, or tournaments. Anything done in "practice," whether during a fun round or throwing multiple drives for just fun or practice, we would still consider an ace. We look at it that in our group, to get an ace, any type of ace, is a big deal because they are so few and far between. In our group a few of us can routinely get it out to 360 to 400 but the majority look at anywhere from 250 to 300. Not too many ace opportunities in that range except on certain holes.

The only time our group had an argument about the validity of aces is when I set up a portable basic in a field, marched 350 feet with a stack of drivers, and proceeded to drain one with my Striker. I lobbied unsuccessfully for a "Field Ace" but had to settle for a "Nice Shot" and a grumble that I have yet to get a real ace with that Striker.

In three years between 15 people, I believe we have only had 2 "Money Aces" and 15 "practice" aces. I have 6 to my name and I would hate to have to give 5 of them back because I was practicing my drives from the tee box (not just dicking around but actually trying to get aces).

Maybe that can be your determining criteria: If a player is seeking to drive well, whether for money play or in practice, with the intention of either landing within putting range or seeking to get an ace and an ace occurs, it counts as a full and regular ace.

This should eliminate those lucky shots where a player is just horsing around, chucking for the sake of chucking with no care of the result, and one happens to go in.

Scott

Black aces are traditionally where you ace the wrong basket.

Here's a bit of a twist...

What if you're playing cali in a doubles round, shank or park your first shot, take your second shot (either because you have to from the shank or want to since you know you're going to make the putt), and ace with it?

SkaBob said:
Black aces are traditionally where you ace the wrong basket.

Here's a bit of a twist...

What if you're playing cali in a doubles round, shank or park your first shot, take your second shot (either because you have to from the shank or want to since you know you're going to make the putt), and ace with it?

I believe that's an ace. Cali allows you a second shot per hole so if that second shot aces, you ace.

Skabob's scenario counts as a full fledged ace (it goes on the card as one stroke). However, I would still give you a little bit of shit for taking a provisional to gauge the wind/distance/whatever!

I like field ace or practice ace... I was just talking to a friend about it and he brought up a good point. If you can't put a 1 down on the score card for that hole, it's not an ace. (Using aces as reference from a deck of cards)

i would call it a 3 for reteeing, yeah its nice to get and i have gotten them too and do consider them an ace but for score cards i would mark a 3