• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Vs. Goliath

Who will win???

• Goliath - 0 experience but crazy athletic

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • David - 2.5 years of experience and a solid 300 - 350ft. drive

Votes: 113 75.8%
  • Who cares, stop wasting valuable interwebs space

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So there's been an argument around the office lately that I thought I'd play out here. My boss believes that strength makes all the difference in everything and loves to poke fun of me and the other disc golfers for not playing a "real sport". He and another guy in the office that plays have been bickering so much that we decided to shut him up for good. Both sides have picked a "champion" to represent their side. Me, being scrawny but with the most distance of our group (300 - 320 ave, 350 max) has been nominated to represent our side. The other "champion" is a super athletic, 6'2 300+lbs of muscle behemoth that has tossed a frisbee but never touched a disc. Goliath will not be taught how to throw and has 50 throws to set a distance mark. I then have 5 shots to out drive him. I personally have no money on this and am in it to prove that this isn't a sport you can just pick up and dominate. So, is 50 shots too many or does it take much more than muscles and some field practice to outdo a practiced golfer? What does it mean if I lose (aside from "I suck")? Does anyone care at all? Regardless, I'll post the results Monday evening.

50 isn't that many. The first 30, at least, if not all, will be big n00b hyzers.

I guess it also depends on how far the OP can throw. :\

*edit* I see it's on the poll.

You got this.

I'm going with experience. Let us know how it works out. We should have a pool on how far he might manage to throw. I'm going 215.

We're going to have a mix of drivers to choose from of all types of stability and speeds. He throws first so he doesn't get to see what I use and has to figure out what works by trial and error. He can try to get the feel for one and use it all 50 shots or switch it up as much as he wants. I'll probably use my Archon or Blizzard Destroyer.

We're going to have a mix of drivers to choose from of all types of stability and speeds. He throws first so he doesn't get to see what I use and has to figure out what works by trial and error. He can try to get the feel for one and use it all 50 shots or switch it up as much as he wants. I'll probably use my Archon or Blizzard Destroyer.

Just throw the blizz and watch his mouth drop. He won't know what to do after that. He's gotta know how to throw correctly before he he can even come close.

Or just throw your Archon on a couple huge hyzer-flips out the left and let them anny out.

Last edited:
Just get Will S. out there to be safe...scrawny as hell but can freakin' bomb.

I predict that the big guy will throw his arm out from trying to throw as hard as he can before he even gets to 50 throws. :p

He might reach 300 by the time he ends with 50 but I doubt it. Just throw what you have the most confidence with and make sure you go past 300. You'll be fine. Even if you somehow lose tell them double or nothing on a nine hole round between you two. Driving is one thing but can he throw with finesse on an approach or putt? That's the meat of the game.

I say you've got it. Super athletic and muscles don't really result in disc golf distance from what I've seen.

Back in 2001 when we hosted Pro Worlds, we talked about trying to set up an exhibition between our local mini-mite Jack Smith 5'5" who threw over 400' and NBA 7-footer Kevin Garnett just for charity/fun. Would have been cool if we could have pulled that off.