• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] DD Deputies: Why such size difference?

ronnccox

Newer player and first post (been lurking. Have learned tons from you all, so thanks!).

Okay, so I finally settled on a Deputy (Classic Blend) for putting. Love the feel and just spin putting it into the heart of the basket. But from 60-200 ft for dead-straight shots, I've been relying on a Wombat3 or Mako3...didn't want the Deputies to hit trees nor did I like the feel of the deeper putter for that range.

But now I'm ready to learn a putter for those distances. Bought two Lucid Moonshine Deputies for durability, stability, and the familiar feel, but man, these are quite a bit taller than the Blends.

So my question: Are Lucids (or any Champion/premium-type disc) typically that much taller/domier than their less-durable versions, or did the dome simply not flatten in the cooling process like the Blend? Or something else?

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Not sure how much help I will be here, but I've had this be true for literally every putter I've bought across all brands.

My premium version of the same mold I own base has always been slightly taller, domier, and even a slightly bigger diameter. I chalk it up to how the plastic types cool. Seems that base plastic shrinks more when cooling, which probably explains why base plastic can crack due to more stress on the plastic.

Not sure how much help I will be here, but I've had this be true for literally every putter I've bought across all brands.

My premium version of the same mold I own base has always been slightly taller, domier, and even a slightly bigger diameter. I chalk it up to how the plastic types cool. Seems that base plastic shrinks more when cooling, which probably explains why base plastic can crack due to more stress on the plastic.

Agreed. Different plastics cool differently, leading to the discrepancies.

And welcome to DGCR.

I always advocate going to your nearest brick and mortar store when purchasing a disc in a new plastic that you are unfamiliar with. Especially if you own and enjoy the mold in another plastic already.

As with all discs, there will be flat, domey, and everything in-between across all plastics. But some plastics will consistently mold up a certain way.

As an example, I am a HUGE Pure lover. I putt with them, I drive with them, I approach with them. I know that I like them board flat, and I will ONLY buy them in baseline plastics or opto plastic due to this fact. The majority of goldline and recyled Pures are very domey and do not feel or fly right in my opinion, and so I avoid them. But Opto, in the case of the pure, is consistently flat like any baseline pure.

Now, let's say that next year Trilogy unveils some new, hot plastic formula and the Pure is ran in it... I would only buy one after seeing them in person, because I know I like flat pures and ONLY flat pures. I generally like to thumb through a box and see if it molds up consistently flat, domey, or somewhere in between before I decide that I want to invest. Especially on molds that I specifically like a certain way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, all. Makes sense.

I always advocate going to your nearest brick and mortar store when purchasing a disc in a new plastic that you are unfamiliar with. Especially if you own and enjoy the mold in another plastic already.

Yeah, definitely. I bought a Lucid Judge while on vacation that is nearly identical to the primes I own. They didn't have premium Deputies, so I ordered them. Was surprised by the variance.

We don't really have a stocked retailer where I live, but a Dynamic Discs store is less than 3 hours away in KC. So I will be road trippin' soon.

To find even two discs that feels and flies the same is the biggest challenge in Discgolf. . .to play is the easy part ;)

The "conspiracy theory" in me feels like they make the discs different on purpose to make us buy more discs so we can find "the good ones" hehe

i have +15 Deputys in most of the plastics made. . The Premium ones i have in Fuzion and Lucid Moonshine are all very domey and most of the Classic/Prime are flat.

But the same can be said of lots of putters from other brands

From memory, I think I have 14 Deputies, including a Fuzion on its way from Finland.

If the Fuzion is just as Domey, I guess I'll try the Warden in Classic Blend (it seems similar to the Deputy in dimensions). That plastic is sooo fragile, but I love the grip.

It is not just the way the plastic cools but the way the Champion/Z type plastic as well as a Star/ESP plastic have more spring to the plastic its self then the baseline that they will mold up with a tad more dome the baseline. Exception to that rule is R-Pro, as that plastic ends up with more dome then its DX counterpart and R-Pro is more to the baseline side of plastics. Want the least dome, find the hardest plastic that is made for that particular putter mold. Exceptions are some soft plastics like Jawbreaker or Soft X that can have some mistake mini puddle tops in a disc, R-Pro can puddle top too if one finds a soft run as opposed to a springy bouncy run.

R-Pro is an anomaly that can run from soft a flexible like the old Pro Rhyno to a stiffer bouncy like most old Pro for slower midrange to putter discs. That is why R-Pro is in both sides the taller putter side and the lower puddle top side.

When I putted with Banger GTs, the ProD and Esp Bangers felt the same to me...I'd have to dig them out of my massive putter stack to be sure though.

Received the Fuzion Deputy today. The height is exactly between the Classic Blend and Lucid Moonshine, and feels close enough to the Blend so should work fine.