• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Dedicated driver(s) for extreme headwinds?

krooster

Birdie Member
Is it really necessary to carry around discs that are only usable in extreme headwinds?

At the beginning of spring, I got a Star Wraith and a max weight Champ Teebird for use into ridiculously strong headwinds. Seemed to work ok on those occasional days when I felt like I was throwing into a wind tunnel, since the course closest to me is right along a highway and around a wide open field near windy Chicago. Could release them flat, and they'd turn and then fade back and land straight ahead, but in anything other than an extreme headwind they were too overstable to be necessary.

Well, I haven't really needed to use those discs in probably close to 4 months, so I took them out of the bag. I'm thinking that on the rare occasion I have to throw into such a strong headwind, I'll just disc up or throw a slightly less overstable driver with some hyzer. Don't see the advantage to carrying a disc that is almost never used.

Is that a good approach, or will I miss those two discs at some point?

for the most part the average player has very little NEED for any extremely OS fast disc regardless of the wind conditions.

Its a fine approach for sure and if you find out that you are not able to execute a shot without one of those discs then add it back in the bag! Its always good to try and work a single disc on as many different lines as possible vs carry X disc for Y shot-- that being said, some discs truly are better than others at some things so its just figuring out your style of play/set up of bag which fits the best for you. This trial and error process of taking discs in and out of your bag is generally always evolving as you improve or play new courses.

Last edited:
- Long distance forehand rollers.
- Flex shots.
- Low flying shots to play the skip, BH or FH.
- Spike hyzers that stop where they hit.
- Strong headwinds.

There are a number of uses for these discs. They definitely aren't the first thing a new golfer should go out and buy, but they are very useful to have once you've mastered the basics and are ready to expand your shot selection.

I live in Texas and during the spring and other random times of the year we have some VERY windy days. So I have 2-3 discs that only come out on those days but when they do I throw them on 60+ percent of my shots. I just keep them in my old bag in the trunk and if I get to the course and its windy I move them into my backpack. I haven't used them in 2 months but I will need them again soon.

Champ Teebirds can get caught in a big wind and turn too much. If my Destroyer catches an anhyzer edge it will get a big turn into a headwind.

Nothing can turn my Enforcer. It will come out of a flex shot even in a strong headwind.

So for that one hole where you absolutely must finish away from the swamp on one side, I like having such a driver for windy days. Sure, I could just put more hyzer on a stable disc, but I like knowing that even if I screw up I'm okay.

Those are in my truck, but only go in the bag when it's howling. X Force for longer drives, and a Star Firebird.

I have a Brinster 'bird and a Champ Banshee for my drives in howling winds. The Banshee is more useful for the low skip shots than the Brinster, but the Brinster goes much further into a headwind before dumping left.

I much prefer to hyzer flip a MOLF into the wind for much more D, but I can't trust it to not turn too much if the wind is howling. They're all staying in my bag, but the Brinster is the one I drive into fierce winds and use for little else.

a champ eagle-x holds up quite well in the wind.

- Long distance forehand rollers.
- Flex shots.
- Low flying shots to play the skip, BH or FH.
- Spike hyzers that stop where they hit.
- Strong headwinds.

There are a number of uses for these discs. They definitely aren't the first thing a new golfer should go out and buy, but they are very useful to have once you've mastered the basics and are ready to expand your shot selection.

Champ Teebirds can get caught in a big wind and turn too much. If my Destroyer catches an anhyzer edge it will get a big turn into a headwind.

Nothing can turn my Enforcer. It will come out of a flex shot even in a strong headwind.

So for that one hole where you absolutely must finish away from the swamp on one side, I like having such a driver for windy days. Sure, I could just put more hyzer on a stable disc, but I like knowing that even if I screw up I'm okay.

Quoted for truth. My reliable wind driver is a 175 Shock. Its a throwable OS disc, fierce HSS and will hold a line before a guaranteed fade. As headwind increases, it seems only to delay the LSS. I use it for skip/flares around corners and such as well - definitely take Mike's shot advice though for everyday use of such a disc. Whatever you choose for this role will become an invaluable everyday tool and is in your bag when you need it for wind too.

These are "utility discs" for a reason. If the only use you have for them is headwinds, then you're missing out.

My o/s drivers are a C-PD and Star Firebird. I use them for rollers, flicks, flex shots, skip shots and thumbers. I also use them for headwind drives, but that's the least of their uses.

I would be lost without my 11x FBs and PDs... Regardless of wind, utility discs come in handy every single round. Dealing with these OK winds has never been easier with my current driver setup. And like someone said above me, headwind duties are the least of these discs abilities.

My heavy wind disc is my force. I use it in normal play all the time too. It's that good of a disc so yeah it stays in my bag along with the other 4 of the same mold:)

I carry one extra OS putter, mid, fairway and driver. I use them very rarely, but whenever I have to, I am happy I have them in my bag.

Since we dont have much wind, I use them as special shot disc more often than for a headwind.

I carry one extra OS putter, mid, fairway and driver. I use them very rarely, but whenever I have to, I am happy I have them in my bag.

Since we dont have much wind, I use them as special shot disc more often than for a headwind.

you have the right idea

Here in Monterey, CA it is not uncommon to get 20+ mph winds during the early afternoon. So I keep one extremely beefy destroyer in my bag for the 350+ foot holes out there. Everything else in my bag I would throw regularly.

I think it is wise to have a bag with all the weapons needed for any course and any condition. For "extreme headwinds", the drivers I use are Banshee, Firebird and Destroyer. I just ordered a Z Predator with hopes that it will replace my Banshee / Firebird combo to help me condense my molds down to 8. I would rather only have 1 OS fairway driver for extreme winds rather than always deciding between the two. I've been reading about earlier threads on the Predator and it sounds like it might be an 'in-between' of the Firebird and Banshee.

Depending on distance and amount of wind, I have my Verdict, XXX and Stiletto for windy shots. They are also my hook shot, skip shot, get out of trouble shot and best FH discs I have.