• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Describe Your Perfect Course

Treeplant

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
What's your "perfect" disc golf course look like? Going to start actively looking for land over the next little while (Maritimes Canada) and I'm trying to build an image in my mind of what my personal "perfect" course would look like. Likely not possible to achieve everything on the list myself, but thought I'd start with my own ideal.

Curious what would make the perfect course for others, but here's my current rough list:

1. Lots of elevation, couple of epic tee offs with a hundred+ foot drop to the pin. The really crazy holes largely found on the Back 9, however, so you can do a quick 9 if you've only got time for a short round.
2. Mix of open rolling hills with water hazards and then forest terrain with elevation. No natural long grass that requires extensive maintenance or makes losing discs a routine problem.
3. Older growth forest (cedar or something) with no understory (no lost discs)
4. Relatively non-windy.
5. Picturesque setting (mountain background, ocean, badlands, something unique).
6. Chill pro shop/hang shack with some character (e.g. I like Tall Firs setup in Washington with a few discs for sale and craft beers, nothing fancy, but chill).
7. Three tee pads (Rec/Am / Intermediate /Advanced/Pro)
8. Well designed signage and scorecards (with distances to major hazards marked out etc.).
9. No general public.
10. Designed by someone who truly understands the game and incorporates all types of hazards and lines. I'd be bringing someone in to help design my own course, wouldn't pretend I could design one myself just because I've played for a few years.
11. Is a Par 72 with the classic ball golf 2/2/5 breakdown per 9 (two par threes, two par fives and five par fours per nine). I've always just liked that blend of par 5s, 3s, 4s.
12. Has a camping/RVing area with basic amenities.
13. Not horrible for bugs year round.
14. All the details out on the course that you appreciate as a player. Drop zone markers inset into the ground (or on painted rocks I've seen was a nice touch), putting zones delineated somehow (or cords at each basket), arrows at each basket pointing the right direction to the next tee, top end baskets.
15. Top end baskets.
16. Designed with seasonal drainage in mind (e.g. if its rolling hills with water there are going to be non-playable areas in the spring)

Would love to hear the types of things people would incorporate into their dream course or what setting they'd put the course in. It's all hypothetical, anything goes.

I think you pretty much nailed it. But if we are talking "anything goes" I wouldn't mind seeing a course with a "dispensary" on it. I'm guessing that they are coming if it has not been done already.

yeah, i'd take that!

concessions i would make:
-i don't mind a bit of wind
-don't need a pro shop, just a hang area near the course start. maybe a patio with chairs and a fire pit...
-2/2/5 is pretty specific, so long as i get a good mix that's fine. more important that the course flows well on the given land
-don't need 3 sets of tees but i would want as many as possible on any given hole that make for fun shots on the land available

but if i get to have a wish list, shallow creeks for water hazards and old growth forest. oh and some diverse local fauna

I've played on perfect courses several times before. I get there early, and play the entire round before anyone else shows up. As I am driving away, another vehicle finally approaches, to which I think, "perfect!". I don't need a lot of amenitities on my courses. But, I love lots of outdoors. :)

You've got 3 general categories there: The land, the design, and the amenities.

For the land---as much variety as possible. Big elevation and level spots. Open areas, old growth woods, dense woods. Water, both creeks and ponds. And trickiest of all---lots of unique features: boulders and rock outcrops, twists in the creeks, huge trees, steep slopes.

But I like wind, and hope to have some significantly windy spots. They add challenge, particularly mental challenge.

For the design---This is affected by whom the course is designed for. Designing for everyone (multiple tees) involves compromises; better to design for a target skill level. In this case, your skill level, since you're the one who will care most. People a step better or worse will also enjoy it. Compromise on anyone else.

Unless you have room to create more than 1 layout. My ideal course has multiple layouts; but that's more money and a lot more work.

Ideally, a layout that loops back to the parking lot mid-round.

For the amenities---don't really matter to me. But I suppose a clubhouse/store, and an outdoor deck or lounging area, would be included.

Have fun with your search and subsequent project. Look for the best land, then let that land dictate much of the rest. Luckily, the best disc golf land is often the worst land for other uses, and thus cheaper.

.....for what it's worth, my perfect course almost exists. It's a course that, if the owners had time and money to do everything they've planned, would be perfect. Even more than perfect if they could buy the neighboring land, too.

1. Lots of elevation, couple of epic tee offs with a 50+ foot drop to the pin. The really crazy holes largely found on the Back 9, however, so you can do a quick 9 if you've only got time for a short round. 100+ is a bit much for a typical 300-400 ft hole. Also what goes down must come up so there's either a massive up-hill or a lot of modest up-hill holes. Modest terrain is more interesting.
2. Mix of open rolling hills with water hazards and then forest terrain with elevation. No natural long grass that requires extensive maintenance or makes losing discs a routine problem.
3. Older growth forest (cedar or something) with no understory (no lost discs) No thick briar patches is great. But NO undergrowth is pretty but boring, too easy to recover from an off-fairway shot. The trick is having undergrowth that penalizes bad throws without requiring brush pants and fear of lost discs.
4. Relatively non-windy.
5. Picturesque setting (mountain background, ocean, badlands, something unique).
6. Chill pro shop/hang shack with some character (e.g. I like Tall Firs setup in Washington with a few discs for sale and craft beers, nothing fancy, but chill).
7. Three tee pads (Rec/Am / Intermediate /Advanced/Pro) Two pads are enough. You could add a rec position but don't think the number of rec players in a non-public course warrants the cost for another pad.
8. Well designed signage and scorecards (with distances to major hazards marked out etc.).
9. No general public.
10. Designed by someone who truly understands the game and incorporates all types of hazards and lines. I'd be bringing someone in to help design my own course, wouldn't pretend I could design one myself just because I've played for a few years.
11. Is a Par 72 with the classic ball golf 2/2/5 breakdown per 9 (two par threes, two par fives and five par fours per nine). I've always just liked that blend of par 5s, 3s, 4s. 72s a bit long. 9-3s, 6-4s, 3-5s for 66 is better. An open field Pro par 5 these days will have to be 1500+ ft. And I know some will scream but I'd include at least one ace run in the mix of 3s.
12. Has a camping/RVing area with basic amenities.
13. Not horrible for bugs year round.
14. All the details out on the course that you appreciate as a player. Drop zone markers inset into the ground (or on painted rocks I've seen was a nice touch), putting zones delineated somehow (or cords at each basket), arrows at each basket pointing the right direction to the next tee, top end baskets.
15. Top end baskets.
16. Designed with seasonal drainage in mind (e.g. if its rolling hills with water there are going to be non-playable areas in the spring)
17. 40/60% mix open to wooded.
18. Equal mix of rights/left/straights.
19. Bag hangers

The closest course that I've played to meet that description is Rollin Ridge and no other course even comes close to meeting that criteria. (of the courses I've played, still +6000 to go)

Rollin Ridge
1. 40/45 foot elevation changes.
2. mix of open and wooden although mostly wooded.
3. older woods and thinned out overgrowth below on the fringes.
4. not windy
5. doesn't have mountains in the backdrop, its Wisconsin. but the surrounding rolling hills and meadows would top the backdrop of 90 percent of the courses out there.
6. best pro shop ive ever seen. snacks, beer (bar), 1000 discs, pool table, etc.
7. 3 tee pads.
8. best hole signage ive ever seen
9. private
10. no idea, but im leaning probably yes
11. par 69 black tees to black baskets (6 par 3s, 9 par 4s, 3 par 5s)
12. has camping
13. not sure, free bug spray at clubhouse.
14. yes to all of that
15. 36 machXs in play
16. its boggy in a few low areas, but they are actively infilling and creating swales.
17. open 20/80 wooded
18. left 60/40 right, however with 3 baskets in plays you can play a round where 100 percent cut left or a round of 80% cut right.
19. no. but there is 10 feet of bench space on every tee. not hole, every tee.

After playing Rollin Ridge there was no reason for me to ponder what an ideal course looks like. This was it.

Last edited:
Yeah, after playing Rollin' Ridge I haven't been able to rate any other courses at 5 stars because I've already seen disc golf perfection.

As for OP's question, I will always be thrilled if a course has:

-Shot variety (Variance in distance, elevation, and pin placement. Contains open and wooded holes)
-Difficult but reasonable lines that test players
-Clear Signage (map at the beginning, next tee signs when applicable, helpful and accurate tee signs)
-Baskets that are clearly marked
-Nice Teepads and baskets in good repair
-Somewhere to put trash
-Adequate Maintanence
-Access to water and restrooms

Less than 25% of courses meet the above standards. I consider anything beyond what I have listed to be a bonus.

The closest course that I've played to meet that description is Rollin Ridge and no other course even comes close to meeting that criteria. (of the courses I've played, still +6000 to go)

Rollin Ridge
1. 40/45 foot elevation changes.
2. mix of open and wooden although mostly wooded.
3. older woods and thinned out overgrowth below on the fringes.
4. not windy
5. doesn't have mountains in the backdrop, its Wisconsin. but the surrounding rolling hills and meadows would top the backdrop of 90 percent of the courses out there.
6. best pro shop ive ever seen. snacks, beer (bar), 1000 discs, pool table, etc.
7. 3 tee pads.
8. best hole signage ive ever seen
9. private
10. no idea, but im leaning probably yes
11. par 69 black tees to black baskets (6 par 3s, 9 par 4s, 3 par 5s)
12. has camping
13. not sure, free bug spray at clubhouse.
14. yes to all of that
15. 36 machXs in play
16. its boggy in a few low areas, but they are actively infilling and creating swales.
17. open 20/80 wooded
18. left 60/40 right, however with 3 baskets in plays you can play a round where 100 percent cut left or a round of 80% cut right.
19. no. but there is 10 feet of bench space on every tee. not hole, every tee.

After playing Rollin Ridge there was no reason for me to ponder what an ideal course looks like. This was it.

I came here to post that Rollin Ridge with a bit more elevation and within 10 miles of my house would be my perfect course.

It is an amazing place, and the only of the 60+ courses I've played that I've given a 5. That includes Milo, Flip, IDGC and Hobbs.

My perfect course would consist of alot of 300-380 foot holes with some smaller 180-250 holes. I would like to have some trees around to keep some obstacle but to also give you the opportunity to have different lines to throw. Also it should have a practice putting area. Another thing would be a pro shop to sell discs to newer players or if you lost your favorite out on the course. Baskets would probably be mach 3's. the course would have 20 holes.

My perfect course would consist of alot of 300-380 foot holes with some smaller 180-250 holes. I would like to have some trees around to keep some obstacle but to also give you the opportunity to have different lines to throw. Also it should have a practice putting area. Another thing would be a pro shop to sell discs to newer players or if you lost your favorite out on the course. Baskets would probably be mach 3's. the course would have 20 holes.

Yeah putting area is really nice with baskets you can fire between.

Imagine HBH Bear, perfectly manicured, with water in play on at least 6 holes, and an extra 9 holes of ace-able length thrown in there somewhere.

I'd build a cabin in the woods off a fairway and never leave.

Latest posts