• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Oh, I am probably doing 3 posts in a row - I feel like Casey. :D

Have others noticed that Destoyers are not stamped with Starlite stamps like so many other Innova discs are? For instance, a 150 gm Star Wraith, Sidewinder, or Valkyrie, will always be stamped as Starlite. But not so with a 150 gm Destroyer (or Leopard either, I guess) which are always stamped as normal Star. Any ideas why this is?

Have others noticed that Destoyers are not stamped with Starlite stamps like so many other Innova discs are? For instance, a 150 gm Star Wraith, Sidewinder, or Valkyrie, will always be stamped as Starlite. But not so with a 150 gm Destroyer (or Leopard either, I guess) which are always stamped as normal Star. Any ideas why this is?

The Leo makes sense, but I've never seen a Starlite Destroyer. Probably to keep McBeth's name on them, or it's too "girly" for the Destroyer to have a Starlite version, though the Boss does.

The Leo makes sense, but I've never seen a Starlite Destroyer. Probably to keep McBeth's name on them, or it's too "girly" for the Destroyer to have a Starlite version, though the Boss does.

Could also be because a 150g star Destroyer isn't really a "girly" disc. Even in light weight the one I have takes some serious arm to get a full flex shot out of.

In other words, light star Destroyers are anything but flippy. Actually a fairly useful disc for being so light.

I've thrown 2 starlite Bosses. Those (on the other hand) are girly, flippy junk. They don't hold a line and even when I throw on a pretty steep hyzer will turn and burn every time.

I think at some point a couple years ago, Innova decided that having a different marketing name for lightweight discs wasn't helping them. "Blizzard" for lightweight champion plastic with bubbles has a bad reputation (even those who use Blizzard plastic readily admit how inconsistent it is). I think Innova saw all the negativity and decided that marketing lightweight Star as "Starlite" might cause people who were burned by Blizzard not to buy it. So they just quietly continued creating lightweight, bubble-rimmed discs in various molds in Star plastic without adding the the -lite moniker like they had previously. I'm not sure if that means they will also phase out the "Starlite" name on Teebirds, Bosses, etc. (while continuing to mold light weight versions with bubbles), but it wouldn't surprise me.

In principle I don't like the blizzard-ish star Destroyers...but they sure seem to fly nicely for me! OS and US distance drivers are pretty easy spots for me to fill, but that middle slot -- stable, neutral, long & straight -- can be tough to nail down. Currently that slot is filled by a 168g orange embossed star Destroyer. It's my most recent ace disc. Can't argue with that success!

I've got one orange 168gr embossed also and it's definitely in the middle slot. Now I'm bidding another one in auction. Would have passed it if you guys wouldn't have had same kind of experiences on that weight+color combination. I'll let you know if this one is flying likewise. And I probably will post it even if you wouldn't care ;)

I threw my 168gr orange one up to 420 feet in slight tailwind. My longest rhbh drive ever. Been struggling in 350 range but now I'm getting some distance after two years of back hand training. Forehand has been my choice for a long time.

Has anyone thrown the new tour series Brinster Destroyers? If so, how do they throw? Super OS?

Nah gotta do like 4 or 5 to be me.

Could also be because a 150g star Destroyer isn't really a "girly" disc. Even in light weight the one I have takes some serious arm to get a full flex shot out of.

In other words, light star Destroyers are anything but flippy. Actually a fairly useful disc for being so light.

I've thrown 2 starlite Bosses. Those (on the other hand) are girly, flippy junk. They don't hold a line and even when I throw on a pretty steep hyzer will turn and burn every time.

A wimpy arm disc is a DX Dragon, I can get even a new one to fade to the right rather then left without even going full power on the disc.

Found a pro plastic destroyer newer run I guess, that is very overstable. Anyone find this to be true as well?

Found a pro plastic destroyer newer run I guess, that is very overstable. Anyone find this to be true as well?

Just the opposite for me. I carry a Pro Destroyer as my windy weather driver, but it's not as overstable as my Star Destroyer or even my Blizzard Destroyer. And that's fresh out of the box; I imagine it'll be even less OS with more use.

Problem with Destroyers is that the lower the dome the more beefy it is, true for Pro and both Star plastics. The Champion it is the same but not as noticeable as the Pro and Star plastic.

Problem with Destroyers is that the lower the dome the more beefy it is, true for Pro and both Star plastics. The Champion it is the same but not as noticeable as the Pro and Star plastic.

The problem (and beauty) of Destroyers is that what you're saying isn't the case across the board. Every flat embossed star I've thrown has been flippy, while the ones with moderate dome have been straighter. I've only thrown a couple pop-tops, but they fit your claim and have been less stable, but not as much so as the flat ones. My experience is all with blues, so maybe it's different for other colors. I don't buy destroyers unless I can see them in person.

The problem (and beauty) of Destroyers is that what you're saying isn't the case across the board. Every flat embossed star I've thrown has been flippy, while the ones with moderate dome have been straighter. I've only thrown a couple pop-tops, but they fit your claim and have been less stable, but not as much so as the flat ones. My experience is all with blues, so maybe it's different for other colors. I don't buy destroyers unless I can see them in person.

Depends on the person who's name was stamped on the disc.

I agree, I will not get a Destoyer in Champion as the disc for me has to be lower average dome with the very top part that would be dome is flat. I need to look for those more flat middle with drop down Destroyer or they are in flat/low top not enough glide, and avoid the high dome/pop top or they are too much like the top being off of a Champion Dominator.

I agree the Destroyer as well as a few others from Innova need to be looked at in person for a disc as these disc varies from disc to disc, but usually not in the way they fly if you get one like the old disc you liked.

I learned quit a bit about Destroyers over the last few years. Destoryer's have so much variance. I always have to take it to the field to test it out. I have 1 Pro that flies long a longer Roadrunner. It's a beast downwind driver. I have 2 S-lines that are overstable turds. I have one S-line 163 that is also too understable most of the time. I have a Philo that is an absolute glidy long bomber. I have a S-line 171 that is what I expect out of a Destroyer.