• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG DIY hacks

lines

Double Eagle Member
Anyone have any cool dg hacks that you have yet to share with your e-friends? I have a couple...
Glue a piece of fine grit sand paper on the bottom of your mini.
Stick a lanyard on the spokes of your umbrella to carry your scorecard.
Please share yours.

What are you using the sandpaper for?

You can also hang a towel under your umbrella...
I've seen people keep dirt in a "stash" mini for wet days
I keep a lacrosse ball in the bag to help gets discs down from trees.

Not sure these are hacks or common sense, but they work...

After trying many different types of balls to dislodge a disc from a tree, the lacrosse ball is best^ good cal.

So true. I got a bright pinkish purple one that reacts to UV light off Amazon. That's what I carry for when it's getting dark out and I only throw discs that will react in case I can't see them. Works great on glow discs too, I just prefer to not throw creamy white discs [glow].

I carry sandpaper but I'd never glue it to my mini....then you can't finely adjust how you're sanding. @Tuna if mid round I get a gash or uncomfortable cut in my disc to hold I sand it slightly so my grip isn't as effected. Yes it's PDGA legal.

i keep two golfballs in my bag to get discs from trees some people use a tape measure others use their waterbottle

the best hack is having a golden retriever im not sure its really a hack but its saved my disc at least 20 times and ive even helped random f's out with it and made new friends that way

Baseball, drill hole all the way through, run a rope through it and knot on both sides of the ball. Keep about 20 to 30 feet of rope. You can throw the ball over a branch and pull to dislodge discs

If you've got a kid in baseball, you can also use it for batting practice ;)

Why did I not think of that...altering my lacrosse ball Tuesday morning with some 550!

Baseball, drill hole all the way through, run a rope through it and knot on both sides of the ball. Keep about 20 to 30 feet of rope. You can throw the ball over a branch and pull to dislodge discs

If you've got a kid in baseball, you can also use it for batting practice ;)

I've rescued dozens of discs from trees with a baseball and never needed a rope. I can't get my head around why this would be necessary

Sanding blocks like these for fixing up discs after nicks. I saw it in one of Sexton's in the bags. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-87...um-Grit-Drywall-Sanding-Sponge-9095/100321145

DIY score keeper for over/under par similar to this idea below. So I can keep score without being on my phone, or thinking about it...which makes me play worse.

Golf-Bead-Score-Counter-Nylon-Braid-Stroke-Counter-With-Plastic-Golf-Ball-Beads-Golf-Stroke-Putt.jpg_220x220.jpg

I built wooden disc walls for My Main compartment, I got a big bag but like to keep the disc amount down to the ones I'm dailed in with since I'm still a beginner.

All you need is 2x stick at 15cm to hold the walls. 2 walls at 21x15cm (/2.5 for inch) from 1/10th inch marine plywood, 4 screws and some velcro to glue to the front and back of the walls.

Ps. 15 minutes of edge treatment with fine grained sandpaper.

I've rescued dozens of discs from trees with a baseball and never needed a rope. I can't get my head around why this would be necessary

For those who can't throw well or aim, I'm guessing you could just lob the ball over the branch, it hooks around, and then you should be able to shake the branch and dislodge the disc? The "roundness" of the ball should keep it from actually getting stuck on a branch, where a hook or similar device would. That's my guess at least..and I'm sold on the idea. lol..

What are you using the sandpaper for?

You can also hang a towel under your umbrella...
I've seen people keep dirt in a "stash" mini for wet days
I keep a lacrosse ball in the bag to help gets discs down from trees.

Not sure these are hacks or common sense, but they work...

The towel under the umbrella was a huge thing for me. Now it seems so obvious, but until I saw it done I was using a wet towel to "dry" my discs.

I built wooden disc walls for My Main compartment, I got a big bag but like to keep the disc amount down to the ones I'm dailed in with since I'm still a beginner.

All you need is 2x stick at 15cm to hold the walls. 2 walls at 21x15cm (/2.5 for inch) from 1/10th inch marine plywood, 4 screws and some velcro to glue to the front and back of the walls.

Ps. 15 minutes of edge treatment with fine grained sandpaper.

I use flat, square pieces of Styrofoam that i cut 'disc size'. Zero weight. #recycle

The towel under the umbrella was a huge thing for me. Now it seems so obvious, but until I saw it done I was using a wet towel to "dry" my discs.

For torrential days you could cut a tiny hole out of the corner of a large Ziploc and run the towel strap through the cut. Attach the protected towel to the umbrella. Boom. Roasted.