• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Trip - California Coast Suggestions

I've played most of those courses. De La and GG in one day is a mission. As far as the tahoe day, skip pollock pines and play markleeville. It's a new course like 40 mins from Bijou. Truckee and Tahoe Vista are my home courses, I'd be happy to show you around let me know. If you can be in tahoe June 20th-24th or so there is a super tour A-tier event that is going to be 5 courses in 3 days. Also emerald isles changed the hours you can disc, so I'd recommend calling ahead of time.

day 9 is impossible to do in 1 day,. I play those 3 monthly and believe me it's not going to happen. Toneys is in the boondocks and is pretty much an all day affair. Oroville had some holes taken out. Auburn/Penn/grass is more reasonable.

About 45 minutes to an hour south of Lake Casitas, on Hwy 1, there is Point Mugu State Park. We camped there last January at Thornhill Broome Beach. The also have another larger campground at the park, Sycamore is the name. Both are just steps from the ocean, we loved it and plan on camping there again in May, already reserved, lol.

I like Thornhill a little better than Sycamore. It's nice to hear the waves going to sleep, though.

With your busy itinerary I would recommend just driving to Casitas after Sylmar and camping there. You won't have to deal with packing up and driving into the lake. You will also not have to pay for camping at one spot and the 10$ car fee at Casitas. Check out time at the lake is noon. Plenty of time to wake up, play your round, pack up and go.

unless you really like beer, the anderson valley course is skippable in that itinerary. It is way out of the way on a very curvy two lane road: It would be much easier to hit Stafford and then drive to Ukiah to play the lake courses and low gap.

dela to GGP in a day is fine...just remember that GGP is one of the most crowded courses around and can take you a long time to play if you hit it on a sunny afternoon. I'd recommend playing it on a morning and then heading off to Stafford for the afternoon.

You are going to be one tired SOB. Bring plenty of food and water for the daytime, and plenty of brews for night time. Good luck with that schedule and enjoy. We want photographic evidence of the whole event. I'll bet there is going to be unplanned for events. Bring bail money and a lawyers phone number.

A quick tip for playing GGP in SF: Make the day you play it not on a weekend if you want to fit those rounds in one day. On weekends MULTIPLE groups of 6-10 people are on the course at the same time guzzling suitcases and playing at a novice level.

Not trying to hate on them, but they will slow your round down significantly.

Day 5
DeLaeveaga Park, Santa Cruz
Black Mouse, Felton
Golden Gate Park

DeLaeveaga is a great course and you should DEFINITELY play here. It already appears that DeLa will be your first course of the day, good idea, I would certainly try to start there early as it can be quite crowded a little later on. Start that course by 10am.

Next course Black Mouse in Felton is excellent also, where accuracy is valued much more than distance. Very wooded with lots of elevation.
This is where I suggest you differ from your plans and head to southern San Jose.

LaRaza and Hellyer are less than a 1/2 mile from one another. La Raza is a little harder than Hellyer, but they are both very cool courses with many different shots to challenge you. Well worth your time!!!

As for Golden Gate, I would NOT skip that course. Play that course the next morning before Lake Stafford.

One that you might want to add in there is at Huntington Beach. Last time I was in Cali, friends and I spent a day and did Oak Grove, Huntington Beach, Emerald Isle, and Morley Field. Needless to say we were spent. However, being able to say you played the FIRST and SECOND oldest gf courses in one day gives you a bit of bragging rights. I second the motion about Morley Field. They are the busiest DG course I have ever been to, but it isn't that bad first thing on the morning during the week. BTW, bring plenty of cash for green fees. Side note, look into Sun Valley. It's a nice little 9hole with HUGE elevation. Played it a bit, and was a good time.