• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Aces 2010

no one will probably ever see it happen again, especially on a 330 foot hole. hit a tree 15 feet away, let it role back onto the pad, then crank it and sink it.

we marked a 2 down on the scorecard, but just as a casual/non tournament circumstance could he count it as an ace?

he knows it was a great shot, and so did we, we told him the exact same thing, just seeing what everyone else thinks about the unique situation

my friend had an odd tree ace once, it was falling short, hit a root at the bottom of a tree, and literally bounced up and in the basket without touching the chains. weirdest ace ive ever seen

we marked a 2 down on the scorecard, but just as a casual/non tournament circumstance could he count it as an ace?

No, much like tearing the tag off your mattress, I'm pretty sure doing that ensures eternal damnation.
:)

if he threw it from the pad and parked it, he wouldnt have made it in the basket from the pad would he? :doh:

What part of the definition of 'ace" do some people not understand? Particularly the parts that make reference to the number '1'.

ace (s)
n.
a. A single spot or pip on a playing card, die, or domino.
b. A playing card, die, or domino having one spot or pip.
2. In racket games:
a. A serve that one's opponent fails to hit.
b. A point scored by such a serve.
3. The act of hitting a golf ball in the hole with one's first shot.
4. A military aircraft pilot who has destroyed five or more enemy aircraft.
5. An expert in a given field.
adj.
Top-notch; first-rate.
tr.v. aced, ac·ing, ac·es
1. To serve an ace against in racket games.
2. To hit an ace on (a hole) in golf.

Better question. Why do so many rec players worship these things like their disc golf manhood/reputation/credentials rides on being able to claim you've hit one? I mean, I have two aces, but I've personally witnessed non-aces that were more impressive than either of them.

its a two sorry to say he didn't declare it a mulligan before he shot did he? Not that it would have mattered really. Then in the USDGC Round 2 when Will Schusterick threw his 2nd shot ob and had about 405+ to get a 4 which was par. He let go a horking hyser and stuck the chains for a 4. Do you consider that an ace also even though it was the best shot of the tournament and i think there were only a couple of aces the whole week. I know it would have been his first ace but technically and no even in a casual round if there were bag tags at stake it would be a 2. Hey on the bright side one hell ov a birdie. I think to get better at this game you should play every practice round just like it is in a tournament to learn proper ediquite and it quiets the nerves in tournament play if your mind set is alredy prepared. Just a little advice from an old timer
Uncle Bob PDGA #3230. I used to administer the officials test and was the head touring official for the PDGA for several years.

Last edited:
What part of the definition of 'ace" do some people not understand? Particularly the parts that make reference to the number '1'.

ace (s)
n.
a. A single spot or pip on a playing card, die, or domino.
b. A playing card, die, or domino having one spot or pip.
2. In racket games:
a. A serve that one's opponent fails to hit.
b. A point scored by such a serve.
3. The act of hitting a golf ball in the hole with one's first shot.
4. A military aircraft pilot who has destroyed five or more enemy aircraft.
5. An expert in a given field.
adj.
Top-notch; first-rate.
tr.v. aced, ac·ing, ac·es
1. To serve an ace against in racket games.
2. To hit an ace on (a hole) in golf.

Better question. Why do so many rec players worship these things like their disc golf manhood/reputation/credentials rides on being able to claim you've hit one? I mean, I have two aces, but I've personally witnessed non-aces that were more impressive than either of them.

YES. 1=ace. 2 = maybe the sickest birdie you've ever seen, but it's still a BIRDIE. For the same reason you don't count a gimme. An ace occurs if you 1)step onto a teepad at a new hole and 2)you nail the shot