• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT, PDGA, and the Coronavirus

That's awesome, Hamp. But I think you're probably the exception, and not the rule.

I suppose it depends where you live. I know plenty of good teachers and their biggest complaint is always about the parents. So, perhaps it's more of a societal problem and less of a public school problem. Either way, saying public schools do nothing but babysit and feed is dumb.

I suppose it depends where you live. I know plenty of good teachers and their biggest complaint is always about the parents. So, perhaps it's more of a societal problem and less of a public school problem. Either way, saying public schools do nothing but babysit and feed is dumb.

Lol.....parents are not going to want to hear that, or accept any responsibility for their children or the state of public schools. Public schools are a pure reflection of their community. The community get out of it, what they put into it.

Public schools provided me the background to be healthy, happy, prosperous and successful. I am not sure there is an alternative that could have put me, and kept me on that path.

Exactly. Public schools started "going downhill" in the eyes of a lot of people right around the same time those same people started taking their kids' side against the teachers. Schools haven't really changed all that much, its the mindset of the parents that changed.

There was a big kerfuffle in my high school around my freshman year where a bunch of parents were getting pissed off that their dumb as rock kids weren't getting into the advanced level classes early. I remember taking algebra 2 my freshman year(took algebra in 8th grade) with a bunch of kids who shouldn't have been taking math at all... It completely wasted the first half of the year having the teacher try to bring these kids up to speed... and only a few of them even did.

That was about the time I lost interest in paying attention in school in general.

Last edited:
This was my experience in public school too...outside of a few classes, I was on autopilot and still was in the top 5-10% of my class. Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator.
You ever seen that Christian Slater movie Pump Up the Volume? If so, that was basically my high school. They thought they were a top tier academic school instead of the small rural school that they were, and once you started slacking off or getting into any kind of trouble, they kicked you out or shipped you off to the local vocational school network so your grades wouldn't reflect bad on their numbers. Which was why they weren't putting kids up into the higher level classes.

Tbh though, I was in a pretty bad place in my life at the time. My father died in January of my 8th grade year and I didn't react very well to it. By mid freshman year, I was more interested in getting high than doing my homework. If they hadn't shipped me off, I likely wouldn't have graduated on time. Plus, the credit requirements changed a lot the year after I graduated. I would have needed to take a pile of home school classes to have graduated in 5yrs if I hadn't gotten out when I did.

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, I'm not disparaging public schools at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's the norm to stay close to dozens of kids that you met in grade school. But like Hamp, said, it depends on where you live, too. Most of the people that I know are from somewhere else (Either a different state, or different country). So to stay that close to someone from your childhood is either impossible, or only achieved through social media. (It also depends greatly on what the word "close" means.)

Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator.

You've got it! :thmbup:

And since you can't choose NOT to go to school without the dumbest kids, school is always going to be a massive waste of time for all literate students. I took every AP class my school offered, and there were still kids in those classes who aren't qualified to rotate the tires on my cars today.

Last edited:
Whoa!, I thought this was a coronavirus panic thread?

Nah, because:

cac.jpg

Just so everyone knows, I'm not disparaging public schools at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's the norm to stay close to dozens of kids that you met in grade school. But like Hamp, said, it depends on where you live, too. Most of the people that I know are from somewhere else (Either a different state, or different country). So to stay that close to someone from your childhood is either impossible, or only achieved through social media. (It also depends greatly on what the word "close" means.)

Wow, way to make it all about you and your experience. Why is your experience the norm and Hamp's the outlier? My own experience is similar to Hamps, a lot of my friends are from grade school seeing as it was the longest (grades K-12) time frame. Added more in college, at work and on the course. My best friend is from kindergarten and we still get together 2-3 times a year in person. And I dont do social media so none of those kind of "friends".

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/covid-19-statement

UPDATE: March 17, 2020 at 11:34 a.m. EDT

After careful deliberation, the PDGA Board of Directors has decided to suspend PDGA sanctioning of all events for a minimum of 15 days through March 31, 2020. This decision takes effect immediately and will be re-evaluated in the coming days as information and guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) develops.

Wow, way to make it all about you and your experience. Why is your experience the norm and Hamp's the outlier? My own experience is similar to Hamps, a lot of my friends are from grade school seeing as it was the longest (grades K-12) time frame. Added more in college, at work and on the course. My best friend is from kindergarten and we still get together 2-3 times a year in person. And I dont do social media so none of those kind of "friends".

40 million people living in the US were born in a different country. Now add in the number of native-born American adults who who live in a different state they grew up in. It would be interesting to see what scenario would be more the norm in the US.

Should the PDGA be issuing slight refunds on memberships?

Yes, but they won't.

Just like how colleges won't be refunding dorm payments and meal plans that the students won't be able to use for half a semester.

Why would the PDGA give out refunds NOW? It has been like 2 hours since they announced the temporary sanctioning restrictions.

Now, if this goes for another 5 or 6 months, then I could see them extending all memberships another 6 months or something.