• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf bags as personal items?(Frontier)

B.Fairbanks.1023

Bogey Member
So I'm taking a flight up to see my family in April, and I'm looking at flying with frontier. Naturally with these cheap airlines they're very strict on personal item size. I've got a DD Commander, which if I smush it, should fit in the 18"x14"x8", but maybe it wont.

Does anyone have experience with Frontier making you pay to check a backpack? I might only play a couple rounds so should I just pack a couple disc in a regular backpack?

Thanks!

I have a small cross-body bag that I got for free from Eddie Bauer that works well as a travel bag/carry-on. It holds 5 discs pretty comfortably (Judge, Zone, Comet, Leopard, Saint usually) along with a paperback for the flight. I normally use a UP Rebel but for trips and shorter courses I take the small bag. If you could find something similar for cheap, that might be a good alternative. Have fun on your trip!

No idea on the Frontier policy, but general tip on getting discs through airport security:

Take the discs out of your bag and put them in a separate bin to go through the scanner. They look weird in the X-ray/CAT scan/whatever the heck they use. It'll save you time to pull them out for the first pass, so the security workers can see they're just frisbees.

I flew with my Grip CS2 loaded with discs and clothes for a week. It was nice having extra discs since it was the first time I had played at sea level, but if I had to do it again I would just pack my Innova Standard Bag with 9 discs into a regular backpack. That way it's easier to carry clothes and such.

I flew with my Grip CS2 loaded with discs and clothes for a week. It was nice having extra discs since it was the first time I had played at sea level, but if I had to do it again I would just pack my Innova Standard Bag with 9 discs into a regular backpack. That way it's easier to carry clothes and such.

Yea that makes a lot of sense. I'd be surprised if I play enough different courses to need more than 6 discs. Kinda makes me wish I kept a small bag for them.

No idea on Frontier but I often use my Squirrel Monkey as carry-on on small planes. Holds 9-10 discs (which is all I use) and fits under the seat with room to spare.

Handy to have a drink holder on bumpy flights. Second drink holder for small essentials (meds, toothbrush, etc.). Cell phone slides in the back pocket, keys clipped to the bag.

I am frequently surprised at how many disc golfers one meets when walking through airports with a disc golf bag.

I don't have a commander bag but the question is will it fit under the airplane seat? I believe this backpack is somewhat bigger. I have a trooper bag and there wouldn't be any issue taking it on Frontier.

Frontier does have bag sizers right by the gate so if you can prove it fits in the sizer than there won't be an issue.

Attachments

• 674B28D0-AF89-4A6D-8973-521B9C8C30EB.jpeg
    674B28D0-AF89-4A6D-8973-521B9C8C30EB.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
Frontier will make you pay for everything that wont fit under the seat. Since they were bought by spirit it is one of the worst airlines out there.

Frontier will make you pay for everything that wont fit under the seat. Since they were bought by spirit it is one of the worst airlines out there.

Well, Frontier was never bought by Spirit. Also I'd argue that it's not the worst airline out their.

Ok, got facts mixed up the company that owned Spirit bought Frontier after selling Spirit. There were rumors the last time I flew Frontier about a merger.

I didn't say worst but one of the worst. I guess they could improve but I won't know I won't fly them again.

I don't have a commander bag but the question is will it fit under the airplane seat? I believe this backpack is somewhat bigger. I have a trooper bag and there wouldn't be any issue taking it on Frontier.

Frontier does have bag sizers right by the gate so if you can prove it fits in the sizer than there won't be an issue.

Dynamic listed the Commander's dimension @ approx. 18x 18x 10, wheras the personal item storage is 18x14x 8. I wouldn't bee too worried if it weren't for the fact that it's like $55 if it doesn't fit.

My last bag was about he size of a trooper, and I just mailed it to my brother, who I'm headed up to play with. Gotta love the irony.

Haven't flown Frontier, so can't speak to that. But my main bag is a Ridge Roller and I have a Rogue Irons Sling Bag (9 disc capacity) for traveling. I haven't had to take my discs out of my bag yet for TSA.

Latest posts