• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf injuries

Not really a dg injury but it will prevent me from playing for a couple of weeks...

So I've been working a lot of hours this week to repair a broken punch press. I put in the extra time to avoid having to work this weekend so I could get in my usual rounds. Finished making the receiver (I'm a tool and die man) this morning and almost finished putting it all back together when I wiped my hand across the top of the die to clean it off. Bad idea. There was a heli-coil sticking up out of a hole and it dug in to my ring finger and sliced it open about a 1/2" long and half as deep. I'm getting stitches right now and it's on my throwing hand, so no dg this weekend. :(

I have had back pain since late June, early May, and finally got some pictures done of me. The x ray showed that I cracked the transverse process on a vertebrae and the MRI showed that I have a giant spinal cyst that I am going to have to have surgery to be removed. Both are from disc golf. ****in Awesome.

Shatered Wrist

I shattered my throwing wrist in 10 places in August. I had surgery on the 10th of that month to put a permanent plate in the bottom of my wrist. I have been through physical therapy for months and that finally ended at the end of November. During all of this I kept talking to my physical therapist about disc golf and when they felt I'd be able to play. (I set a personal goal to throw by the end of the year, but when I say "throw", I mean no holding back.)

Early on, my doctor told me "maybe..., but probably not a driver". I was surprised that he knew that drivers existed and he said he knew enough about dg to be dangerous. My physical therapist said I wouldn't be ready until March. Later, my doctor told me that I can't hurt it by throwing. :D

Well, I'm getting ready to go throw at Lincoln Ridge and will find out. If I'm able to, it will be the best Xmas present ever. ;)

Last summer I gave myself tennis elbow thinking I was doing a good thing throwing discs for hours in a field. So I eased up, and do not play too often, but I can play and my elbow is getting better.

Only I have noticed in the morning, that on the opposite side of my elbow it is real sore in the morning. I was super worried about it until I felt the same pain in my other elbow, non throwing arm, then I realized it is more of a natural pain I have, it is just amplified by the throwing elbow, and only in the morning when I wake up.
Sill, my elbow has been hurting for months, and though I can tell a lot of improvement, the pain is still there. :\

nature hates me.

So slogging thru the underbrush in Brewer Blue in Grand Rapids, Michigan..Reach for a my disc to discover the branches are thorned, jerk hand back, tree branch that i was holding back snaps me in the face, causing me to stumble back, (ever get a stick stuck between your feet?) the stick slices the back of my left foot, I trip, fall into the mud. bleeding, startled, dazed, wtf happened. Nature hates me somedays.

I backhanded an oak tree a while back and cracked the bone in my middle finger. It took a while before I was able to really throw anything right handed and my off hand everything is awful...

Slip, Twist, nick and fall

I was shooting about a 35' putt up a hill for 2 and hit it. When to pick up my bag and take a step on the old railroad ties when my right foot slips off, try to quickly catch myself with the left which hits the side of the steps and sprains my ankle. Then I quickly try to stop myself from falling down with the right again and catch the edge AGAIN which rips back my big toe nail. At that point I fall to the ground on my left shoulder leaving a nice bruise. But I made the birdie shot so I had a little laugh as I'm lying there in pain.

I shattered my throwing wrist in 10 places in August. I had surgery on the 10th of that month to put a permanent plate in the bottom of my wrist. I have been through physical therapy for months and that finally ended at the end of November. During all of this I kept talking to my physical therapist about disc golf and when they felt I'd be able to play. (I set a personal goal to throw by the end of the year, but when I say "throw", I mean no holding back.)

Early on, my doctor told me "maybe..., but probably not a driver". I was surprised that he knew that drivers existed and he said he knew enough about dg to be dangerous. My physical therapist said I wouldn't be ready until March. Later, my doctor told me that I can't hurt it by throwing. :D

Well, I'm getting ready to go throw at Lincoln Ridge and will find out. If I'm able to, it will be the best Xmas present ever. ;)

Even par after 9 holes and then I fell apart. My legs weren't under me anymore, but my wrist held up gr:thmbup:eat. I ended up -6 and only played 14 holes. I can't complain though. After almost 5 months off and reconstructed wrist, I was able to play without holding back. I made me realize just how much I actually missed playing.

Even par after 9 holes and then I fell apart. My legs weren't under me anymore, but my wrist held up gr:thmbup:eat. I ended up -6 and only played 14 holes. I can't complain though. After almost 5 months off and reconstructed wrist, I was able to play without holding back. I made me realize just how much I actually missed playing.

You took off 6 points in 5 holes and consider it falling apart?? Did you mean +6? Either way, congrats on getting back to the course!

This weekend over Xmas I had to take my brother in law, the hobby stealer, out for a round. He's the type that thinks he would enjoy every hobby he's ever heard of so insists that you show him what or how to do it. Last year I had to take him to the gun show because he thought he wanted to start hunting. This year it was disc golf. Anyway, I don't throw a lot of thumbers or forehand but threw some full speed to show him without being warmed up for them properly. Yeah....here I am at work and I can't lift my arm above my shoulder. Thanks brother in law. See you next year.

rolled my ankle pretty bad earlier this year walking down a hill covered in those prickly gumball things. could barely walk for a few days and had to keep a wrap on it for a few weeks.

Earlier this year I was about to play in a tournament and my knee started hurting. Well on the second hole I slipped and fell:doh:. I finsihed the tournament and then found out I tore my meniscus. I had to limit how much I played for a few months while it healed. At least I was only 2 shots off the lead while hobbling around.:clap:

I also have rolled and sprained my ankle a few times on hilly courses.

And this last week I through in the woods and jammed my finger against a tree. It is still swollen and hard to move.

I aggravated a 27 year old separated shoulder in September doing a routine 50 foot up putt, kerchunk, ouch. I played a couple more times then took 2 months off to see if it would heal but it has actually gotten worse. The pain is all across my collar bone and up into my neck muscles. I started playing again anyway. I can't get it fixed until I can pay for it. The pain isn't bad, it isn't cool either.

Injuries are teh worstest. :( :thmbdown: :wall:

holy chicken finger... I completely missed that thread way back then..

gonna have nightmares tonight

Latest posts