• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour - Finals

Gotta say the coverage had been truly great to see. Between the commentary, film quality, double card coverage, and everything else that goes into the production, you guys are killing it out there. Thank you for all your hard work!

PLUS the course looks amazingly beautiful, and the weather has been perfect. That doesn't hurt things any. :)

Have they posted how tiebreaking will be done for the quarters and semis? I presume it will be sudden death starting on hole 1. I'm thinking there's a good chance for two or even three tying for the last spot(s) since it's only one round.

Based on what Drew Gibson just did on hole 18 (and I don't blame him at all, it's good strategy), I can see where this event didn't need to be sanctioned in the first place so "unsanctioning" it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Imagine if the round were sanctioned and rate-able how that intentional tanking of a throw would have played out...could have warranted a DQ for manipulating one's rating. Instead, it doesn't matter. It's just solid strategy in setting up the match-ups for tomorrow.

Based on what Drew Gibson just did on hole 18 (and I don't blame him at all, it's good strategy), I can see where this event didn't need to be sanctioned in the first place so "unsanctioning" it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Imagine if the round were sanctioned and rate-able how that intentional tanking of a throw would have played out...could have warranted a DQ for manipulating one's rating. Instead, it doesn't matter. It's just solid strategy in setting up the match-ups for tomorrow.

So I have to ask what's the big deal playing on McBeth's card?

I thought of the same thing. However, I think a violation like this would be waived because the strategic choice for potential advancement would (or should) trump the ratings consideration. It's also an X-tier type format.

Last edited:
So I have to ask what's the big deal playing on McBeth's card?

I believe the format for the semi finals is that you have to win your card to advance to the finals. If you're not on McBeth's card, you stand a slightly better chance of doing that, don't you think?

I believe the format for the semi finals is that you have to win your card to advance to the finals. If you're not on McBeth's card, you stand a slightly better chance of doing that, don't you think?

Yes that makes sense, but damn that seems sort of uncool to do.

It seems more like laying up a 20' putt on the last hole of a tournament with a two throw lead. It assures a favorable outcome.

What advantage does a 1000+ rated pro gain by lowering their round rating?

From reading this forum, I was under the impression that he threw a lay up shot from a somewhat makeable distance and then tapped in. After watching the video, it seemed distasteful. Maybe it was because he threw his putter down. Either way, he's playing and I'm watching, so it doesn't matter. I kind of wish that they didn't post scores though, it would make it more interesting.

I rooted for Drew to get in so I would get fantasy points on DGCR's Pro Predictions, but I drew the line at his intentional OB (after a massive crush of a drive IMO), his upshot was fine, but the slamming of the putter was unwarranted. If he wanted to tank it, he should have lightly dropped his putter. This might be the pitfall of live scoring. This will definitely be changed for next time, I'm sure.

The approach was less obvious (although only slightly so) than the "missed" putt.

I rooted for Drew to get in so I would get fantasy points on DGCR's Pro Predictions, but I drew the line at his intentional OB (after a massive crush of a drive IMO), his upshot was fine, but the slamming of the putter was unwarranted. If he wanted to tank it, he should have lightly dropped his putter. This might be the pitfall of live scoring. This will definitely be changed for next time, I'm sure.

Yeah the whole "win your heat to advance" idea seems out of place in disc golf. Just let the scores do the talking and everyone will try to do their best.

Can someone confirm this for me? The Green Mountain Championship is done, winners declared etc., correct? Also, are the semi finals (and finals) based on the results of this tournament, or the overall tour? FWIW, I love the playoff style, just trying to figure out how rankings are determined for it.
And if Gibson blew his last shot to gain a more desirable card, that's bad sports karma and will most definitely come back to haunt him.

Yeah the whole "win your heat to advance" idea seems out of place in disc golf. Just let the scores do the talking and everyone will try to do their best.

Look at it as a type of match play. It's really not a bad idea from the perspective of "survive and keep hope alive." At least it's something unique: maybe it's like the iPod; maybe it's like Zima.

Can someone confirm this for me? The Green Mountain Championship is done, winners declared etc., correct? Also, are the semi finals (and finals) based on the results of this tournament, or the overall tour? FWIW, I love the playoff style, just trying to figure out how rankings are determined for it.
And if Gibson blew his last shot to gain a more desirable card, that's bad sports karma and will most definitely come back to haunt him.

Yes the GMC is over, Ricky won.

Drew actually threw OB intentionally before tanking that "putt", he was 150' out and threw it what looked like 100' past the basket OB.

Look at it as a type of match play. It's really not a bad idea from the perspective of "survive and keep hope alive." At least it's something unique: maybe it's like the iPod; maybe it's like Zima.

That's my feeling. We used to run a single-elimination bracket, match-play tournament.

I like the idea of different tournaments trying out different formats, and this one should be particularly entertaining tomorrow.

Though one peril of trying something new, is the risk of the unforeseen happening.

How are tomorrow's groups assigned? What in the formula encouraged one player to tank a couple of throws?

Latest posts