• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Now I'm stuck with Pow! and Wham! graphics in my head, but only during putts and when drives hit trees. Thanks Chuck....
POW! and WHAM! graphics and sound effects would be awesome and almost enough to make me watch. Almost. Throw in a Bat Signal, players with utility belts and throw in some riddles here and there and I'm in. :thmbup:

Now I'm stuck with Pow! and Wham! graphics in my head, but only during putts and when drives hit trees. Thanks Chuck....

That could be fun graphics to show up on edited footage. Drive hits a tree and a giant "POW!" appears on the screen. Heh.:clap:

I think what somebody said upstream somewhere, (lyleoross?), about taking a page out of WRC broadcasting is something DG should go into. Edited DG with groovy tunes and good narration is a lot more watchable than live broadcast of a tourney. DG just isn't there yet but I agree with others in that it is getting better.

As far as getting more galleries, I think big tourneys should get more merch for sale to draw people in. Let's face it, we're all disc whores and would be more willing to attend tourneys if some good deals or hard to find merch will be there to rifle through.

I think what somebody said upstream somewhere, (lyleoross?), about taking a page out of WRC broadcasting is something DG should go into. Edited DG with groovy tunes and good narration is a lot more watchable than live broadcast of a tourney. DG just isn't there yet but I agree with others in that it is getting better.

As far as getting more galleries, I think big tourneys should get more merch for sale to draw people in. Let's face it, we're all disc whores and would be more willing to attend tourneys if some good deals or hard to find merch will be there to rifle through.

You're observation is correct. They provide a number of tools. A round summary with a few snippets, 3 to 5 min, entire rounds and tourney summaries. There are also music Laden highlights.

Say what you will about the BW situation, and Steve's relationship with the PDGA, the DGPT quarterfinal was a huge success. Not just because the commentary has gotten great, but because of the strategy play from the top guys thinking about what they had to work with to make the final, and watching DV watch the cards roll in, with his hands under his but and teeth clenched. It was a marketing success.

Drew Gibson's move was brilliant. He's made a tactical choice to position himself. That's smart play. On the other hand, he just motivated Nate Doss to whip up on him. Good, entertaining disc golf.

Say what you will about the BW situation, and Steve's relationship with the PDGA, the DGPT quarterfinal was a huge success. Not just because the commentary has gotten great, but because of the strategy play from the top guys thinking about what they had to work with to make the final, and watching DV watch the cards roll in, with his hands under his but and teeth clenched. It was a marketing success.

By what standard? 1200 people watching instead of 1100?

I tuned in for about 15 minutes and, while I wouldn't watch more, I got to watch them jumping between coverage of different groups, and updating the Top 8 standings (those in the clubhouse, those still on the course). Definitely a step up from lead-group-only coverage.

It's physical live scoring with players moving up and down the "chairboard" similar to chess with human pieces seen at Renaissance Festivals.

Drew Gibson's move was brilliant. He's made a tactical choice to position himself. That's smart play. On the other hand, he just motivated Nate Doss to whip up on him. Good, entertaining disc golf.

This was lame poor sportsmanship that isn't accepted in most sports.

What should have happened:

By what standard? 1200 people watching instead of 1100?

Nope, by the standard of introducing a number of different noteworthy, tactical, elements to the play. Added pressure on where they finish and pressure from behind. The waiting party to see if you're gonna make the cut, unplanned I suspect, and utilized in other sports, see world ralley.

If the notion is that everyone was gonna realize those things were going to happen in advance and come out in droves well thats silly. Even if the idea is that it's going to have any immediate impact, that's silly.

DG is ball golf without the money. How do you add to it or gain a position that gives it leverage in gaining audience over some other watchable sport, long term? Steve showed some elements that should be considered today. BTW, I wouldn't even give Dodge credit for thinking of them, only testing them out.

He just writes novels out of his ass. So many words with often very little content.

I bet if I started with MVP, and ended with MVP you'd read the whole thing though. :) I always wonder why it has to be a personal attack? I understand disagreeing, and often do, but I'd like to think I have enough manners to skip the name calling.

This was lame poor sportsmanship that isn't accepted in most sports.

What should have happened:

Based on what standard? Drew has pointed out a weakness in the card building structure that the Pro Tour is utilizing, that in itself is interesting.

We talk about DG as being different than other sports, why is what Drew did wrong? He didn't cheat, he didn't pencil whip, or foot fault repeatedly, he took the advantage he gained by playing well, that is, the buffer between him and other players, and spent it tactically.

Onside kicks are an attempt to take away a run back from your opponent. Isn't it poor sportsmanship not to rip that ball as high and far as you can to match your defense against their offense? Isn't it a low down sneaky underhanded attempt at deception? Nope, it's good tactical play, at least for me.

I bet if I started with MVP, and ended with MVP you'd read the whole thing though. :) I always wonder why it has to be a personal attack? I understand disagreeing, and often do, but I'd like to think I have enough manners to skip the name calling.

I didn't call you any names or attack. I told it like it is.

THis thread just took off on a tangent. Quarterfinals of what? Who is Drew Gibson? What did he do that got everyone's panties in a bundle?

Who is Drew Gibson?

he-chose-poorly.jpg