• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf U?

IllustratorVir

Eagle Member
I was looking at it, looks pretty cool... but it does cost 9.95/year. Which isn't bad and apparently you get a free disc. Anyone a member or know how the points work?

http://discgolfunited.com/

Join or renew with the PDGA and DGU subscription is included free this year.

Tracking your personal handicap for all rounds (you wish to enter) and handicapped league play. You PDGA tourney rounds will be exported to their system to add rounds toward your calculating your handicap.

Ah.. ok. I've seen the site before but didn't see the draw to pay for it at the time.

We actually talked about doing that on DGCR for fun (still might do it actually). But with multiple pin positions, tees, conditions, etc. factored in, figuring out the proper SSA for the course setup you played that day would never be quite right so the system would always be slightly flawed. Still, I suppose it's better than nothing :)

Ah, but DGU uses the same calculation engine as PDGA Ratings. It provides the Challenge factors required to dynamically adjust the SSAs for different pins and tees. So these are the most accurate handicaps available. If you haven't seen much promotion about this in your PDGA renewal packs (have you actually gotten it yet?), it's probably because they are still working on the data transfer process so DGU can calculate your handicaps from your PDGA scoring data.

What about conditions? Ie. how rainy it is? how windy? I actually don't know much about SSA and what goes into making up that number other than what I've gleaned from the people talking about it on my site. Calculating player ratings from a proper SSA on the other hand isn't an issue.

I haven't gotten a renewal pack but I don't plan on renewing as I don't play in any tournaments (don't have the patience for it), I use DGCR for score tracking so the DGU thing is moot and the magazine is an unknown but chances are it won't be like FDM which I did enjoy.

The Challenge factor handles various course configurations but does not deal with weather. So it's not as good as the dynamic SSAs generated for ratings. But it at least deals with various course setups better than most basic handicap methods being used for leagues out there.