• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc help for a novice

So the other day on vacation, i was practicing some 75ft - 100ft approach shots on the beach... throwing some very nice shots with a few different discs. "RHINO, GROOVE, STARFIRE, and a WRAITH" All of a suddend a huge wind gust takes my 1st disc ever (DX WRAITH) and ripped it out of the sky and straight into the ocean. GONE!!!! I tried to go in after it but it was too late. :( I had thrown that disc over 100 courses id say... as it was my 1 and only disc when i 1st started playing 6 months ago. Over its life span it saw many trees and concrete paths... kind of altering its flight to a LEFT ONLY MEGA curve disc. I loved it just for that fact! it was VERY useful in some course back home (South Ohio)

I should say that i throw right armed side armed for all of my shots except for 75ft or less putts. I can get much better distance and 95% reliable shots this way. When i throw my Champion Groove and Champion Starfire... They both go almost straight with a very noticeable LEFT TO RIGHT finish... moving 25-30 ft over. And with the DX WRAITH thrown the exact same way, it would do the complete opposite and then some. Can somebody explain if this is due to the wear/tear on the disc... or because of the type (WRAITH)? I guess bottom line, is how do i get a new right - left disc? I was going to purchase a new champion DESTROYER and a CHAMPION WAHOO tomorrow i be leave. The wahoo so i dont lose a disc again, and the destroyer because it says it is rated having the most fade for hyzer shots. Is this the right path i shot take? or should i try and find a really old beat up WRAITH and go back to old school? Thanks alot guys. hope to get some response back soon.

The wraith is not as overstable as a starfire witch is one reson. The onther is that your wraith was beat to hell that will make a disc fly undersable.

so sounds like try and find an older wraith? I just dont get how my other 2 drivers go right... but my wraith went left. Id like it if they went straight, but i can work with what i had. or will an older starfire do the same thing my wraith did but more... is that what you were getting at?

Yes if you like the wraith I would look to find one on the market place here on dgcr. I would look for one that was the same plastic and maybe a 6/10 or 7/10 on the sleepy scale. It might not be as beat as your old one but once you hit a few trees It should be good for you.

so is it safe to say if i am throwing side armed there is no new disc that will automatically turn and finish right - left? i either have to throw back hand or get a broken in disc?

No that is wrong it all depends on if you have the power to throw that disc the right way. If your looking at innova look at the flight numbers (speed/glide/turn/fade) The speed refures to the speed the disc needs to reach in order for it to fly as disinged. If you throw a speed 12 disc too slow it will never go left for you. But if you trow a speed 7 disc too fast it will go left. Keep in mind this is all assuming that the disc is throwin flat.

If you want something brand new try a valkrie, sidewinder, or roadrunner. They should all go left for you if your where able to get the wraith to go left beat up then theses discs should fly nice for you brand new.

so is it safe to say if i am throwing side armed there is no new disc that will automatically turn and finish right - left? i either have to throw back hand or get a broken in disc?

Understable discs should do this for you. I used a stratus for that shot when I was first starting out, maybe try that or something similar like a stingray maybe. The problem you are having is that a starfire is way more overstable than a wraith to begin with, then you add on the fact that it (the wraith) was beat-in which makes discs even more understable.

If you want something brand new try a valkrie...

I'd have to agree. I throw RHBH and on a good snap, the Valkyrie will turn right. Since you're throwing sidearm, it should go left. My experience with the Wraith is that it's longer than the Valkyrie, so keep that in mind.

ok. i can throw my starfire and groove 325-350ft just standing with no run approach. so all of the graphs that are on innova's website say that they all go to the left. almost all of my shots but my beat up wraith and rhino all go right. Should i just reverse all the data since i throw side arm? Or is it because im not throwing them far enough? I beleave im throwing hard/fast enough because my drivers do slightly go left them go level then fade to the right... just like they should. So just reverse the data given for the disc's?