• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc rotation....or lack there of ?

greenjeans

RHBH DX teebird now consistently at 300'

Playing a round the other day with a guy I had just met I noticed that when he threw his drives the disc almost seemed to come out with little to NO rotation
and then it would start to rotate about 30 or so feet out. I never would have noticed, but he was throwing a disc with a large X dyed on the top.

He was still getting his drives out farther than me but it was strange to say the least. What on earth is he doing, and how the heck does the disc fly without
rotation from the get go ?

I assume by rotation you mean spin. There's no way to throw a disc that starts spinning a while AFTER the release, either your eyes are buggered, or it was just a shutter speed phenomenon. You see, eyes work at around 25-30FPS, they don't get a constant static feed of surroundings. The "shutter speed" of your eye is what helps to create the illusion of car wheels spinning backwards or standing still even if they're moving, which is most likely what happened with the disc your friend threw.

Ahhh..... I can buy that. It took another of my buddies to notice it. We kept watching and it really, really did look like it came out of his hand with very little spin and
then it was like it starting to spin faster 30 feet out or so....

Ain't no way in hell the spin rate is going to accelerate after the disc has been thrown. A classic case of the shutter speed effect.

I concur with the shutter speed. As your eyes adjust and or the spin/ speed of the object in question comes back into a more sensible range of motion that your eyes can understand, it may actually appear to be speeding up when in reality it is just slowing down into a more visible range of motion.

The mention of a hubcap was mentioned before, same concept. When the hubcap starts to slow down, it stops looking like it is going in reverse and starts to become a blur before you can again individualize the specific components turning in the proper motion.

Latest posts