• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maxing out 230ft - what to work on next?

Your shoulders are way open at arm/disc parallel/extended, instead of staying closed and then being pulled open by the arm/disc whip.

Also your posture appears to have too much anterior pelvic tilt and spine extension(standing up and then falling off balance) - easier to see a little earlier in the swing. Let your shoulders/head hang a little forward more like a runner's start.
Untitled 3.png

Your shoulders are way open at arm/disc parallel/extended, instead of staying closed and then being pulled open by the arm/disc whip.

Thanks! That can also be seen in the standstill video. Shoulder is already opened when the disc is in front of my chest.

1718196319661.png

@sidewinder22 Any tips/drills to work on keeping shoulders closed until whip completes?

Some progress and comparisons.

After drilling with some hammers, my shoulders are staying closed a bit better now. I also notice that my elbow is now pointing slightly upward.

power-pocket-comparison.png

Anterior pelvic tilt is trickier. I really need to focus on it during the throw, and it still feels hard to maintain posterior pelvic tilt until the end of the throw.

pelvic-tilt-comparison.png

Managed to break 330ft (100m) today for the first time. Putters now go consistently to 230-260ft (70-80m) and drivers nearly to 300ft (90m).

Comparison to the previous video:

Some revelations this time:
  • Feeling like walking really helps me to time the swing.
  • After training with hammers, I lead with my elbow a lot more and stay closed for longer.
  • In the comparison video, I think my reachback was better before. It is now too much behind rather than away from my body. Seems that there is too little space between the disc and my chest when I finally rotate through.
I will probably start to slowly incorporating the x-step. Up until this point, I have focused solely on standstills both in and outside the course.

Last edited:
Need to engage your abs and glutes and flex the spine/chest out of the way so your chin is more over the chest and disc. Note how your spine is extended so your chest is puffed out in the way of the power pocket.
posture pp spine copy.png

Some progress on that. I started taking a runner's start stance before throwing and it made things a lot easier. Also, it feels a lot more natural to get my chin over the disc when I take a longer step, e.g. in Elephant Walk style.

spine-extension-progress.png

Here is the standstill version:

During video review, I can now see that my shoulders are once again slightly too open. Well, cannot focus on more than one thing at the time but I need to get back to that.

shoulders.png

I have been mostly focusing on keeping my shoulder more closed. To do this, I have drilled with hammers and done closed shoulder snap drills.

Hammer time:

Closed shoulder snap drill:

Backhand form:

I think drilling with hammer has caused my attention to move towards the the end of the swing - when the disc rips of my hand. When I get a good rip, I feel that the disc moves very fast during the last moments of the swing - no matter how slowly I got the disc to power pocket. I'm not seeing a great increase in distance but I feel much more consistent and accurate in field play.

What are you maxing out at now? When you started this thread almost a year ago you said you were at 230, curious to see what you're at now (how much you've gained).