• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc spin and trees...

todvan

Par Member
In the Waco practice video with Paul and Brodie:

I liked Paul's tip about the spin of the disc and which side of the fairway to error on so it will bounce out instead of in. Just want to make sure - RHBH spins clockwise from above, this means the disc would want to dig in to right side trees, but bounce off left side trees?

Thanks!

I understand it the other way around. He said, that you should imagine a wall and I saw a few videos where people threw discs alongside walls. So if they threw RHBH, the disc was always bouncing on a wall on the right side. It's like wheel spinning on the wall. On the left side it would be decelarated because of the counterwise spin direction. I hope this was understandable...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

I think you're backwards.

Not sure if you've ever intentionally played a disc off of a fence but that's how I think about it. If the fence runs down the right side of the fairway and you throw a RHBH shot down the fence you can almost roll the disc down the length of the fence.

Not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it.

If my RHBH throw clips something on the right side it usually gets kicked into the fairway and (hopefully) still continues forward.

If the same throw hits something on the left it usually just hyzers in and goes deep.

After what Paul said I was looking at it this way. Whichever side of the fairway is on the opposite side of your body vs. your release, that is the good side to miss on.

So for RHBH, you release the disc on the left side of your body and the right side fairway miss is generally better or more forgiving.

For a RHFH, you release the disc on the right side of your body and the left side fairway miss is generally better or more forgiving.

Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts