• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are we just making things up with nose angle stuff now?

Pro's not over there thinking about how much they gotta pour the kettle and turn the key.
Yes they are, at least some of them, probably a decent amount of them.

Mason Ford and Albert Tamm certainly think about this. When they threw my tech disc and it was barley nose down and barley nose up, I asked "what do you do when you want to get more nose down?" and they both said something like, "I focus more on pouring the tea, I wasn't focusing on throwing nose down initially". Mason got up to -3 but mostly around -2 when focusing more on pour the tea and Albert's didn't change that much, it was just more consistently slightly down instead of split between slightly down and slightly up.

My guess is either Mason's grip allows pour the tea to be slightly more effective and/or Mason (and other people who make pour the tea work without something close to an F1P-3 style grip) has some coupled muscle memory when using the pour the tea cue where some other slight modifications also happen subconsciously. I believe Mason also has thrown the tech disc a handful times before so he's probably benefitted from the instant feedback loop whereas when I brought out the tech disc Albert didn't seem to know what it was.

Jake Hebenheimer on the other hand focuses on a more pronounced inverted swoop when trying to throw more nose down and he fairly easily was getting -4 and -5 which are the same results I get when I'm successful at implementing an inverted swoop. I think he also has thrown the tech disc a handful of times

There certainly are many pros who probably don't make these conscious decisions and more completely rely on feel and intuition. It's pretty hard to not make conscious adjustments when you spend so much time practicing and working on form and re-throwing to try to hit the line better.

Last edited:
Cool view of James Proctor. Of course some of the best angles and close ups are always the one with logo animations or not fully in frame :ROFLMAO:
1719956820268.png

Neil when you have finally conquered nose angle is your next battle going to be trying to throw exactly 0° flat?

Have you obtained the elusive 0, 0, 0, shot shape yet?

Neil when you have finally conquered nose angle is your next battle going to be trying to throw exactly 0° flat?

Have you obtained the elusive 0, 0, 0, shot shape yet?
You should've seen my first post about the tech disc. I was asking what sensible increments of hyzer / anhyzer are to target. I wasn't sure how much margin of error made sense or what was considered small, medium or large hzyer.

I was planning to create tags like:
hyzer[4:9]
hyzer[9:14]

etc, 5 degree increments to practice by choosing one range, applying the tag, then work on consistently hitting it. Then switch the tag to a different range and repeat. I still think it's useful to have small, medium, and large at least as buckets but 5 degree increments would be too many.

I ended up focusing on getting getting a more consistent stock hyzer angle and then working on nose and launch angles since, like most, I was surprised that pour the tea wasn't that effective at getting the nose down (except in the throw 3 case) so it was a lot more interesting to learn nose angle control.

I still think it would be interesting to get more precise with amount of hyzer but focusing on 2-3 buckets of stock angles for both hyzer and anhyzer is probably the most bang for your buck since small hyzer seems like the better option to produce straight shots with a little flip. So I'd rather make the jump from small hyzer to small anhyzer because it's easier to be consistent with that jump than to try to get more perfectly in between. The difference in feeling in that jump is easier to hone in on.

Maybe when I start throwing more anny shots with the tech disc I'll change my view. I'd probably bucket 0 degrees into the small anny category though since it's so much easier for turn to take effect without hyzer to buffer it.

You should've seen my first post about the tech disc. I was asking what sensible increments of hyzer / anhyzer are to target. I wasn't sure how much margin of error made sense or what was considered small, medium or large hzyer.

I was planning to create tags like:
hyzer[4:9]
hyzer[9:14]

etc, 5 degree increments to practice by choosing one range, applying the tag, then work on consistently hitting it. Then switch the tag to a different range and repeat. I still think it's useful to have small, medium, and large at least as buckets but 5 degree increments would be too many.

I ended up focusing on getting getting a more consistent stock hyzer angle and then working on nose and launch angles since, like most, I was surprised that pour the tea wasn't that effective at getting the nose down (except in the throw 3 case) so it was a lot more interesting to learn nose angle control.

I still think it would be interesting to get more precise with amount of hyzer but focusing on 2-3 buckets of stock angles for both hyzer and anhyzer is probably the most bang for your buck since small hyzer seems like the better option to produce straight shots with a little flip. So I'd rather make the jump from small hyzer to small anhyzer because it's easier to be consistent with that jump than to try to get more perfectly in between. The difference in feeling in that jump is easier to hone in on.

Maybe when I start throwing more anny shots with the tech disc I'll change my view. I'd probably bucket 0 degrees into the small anny category though since it's so much easier for turn to take effect without hyzer to buffer it.
If you ask me, you are still way overblowing the amount of angle 'buckets' you need :)

Discs do different things thrown the same way. Exploiting this fact is a far simpler way to actually get consistent results, if that is indeed your goal.

I definitely don't just throw the same shot, I love getting silly with it. But..to me it sounds like you want your core, everyday workhorse shot shapes to have more variables than they really need to have.

If you ask me, you are still way overblowing the amount of angle 'buckets' you need :)

Discs do different things thrown the same way. Exploiting this fact is a far simpler way to actually get consistent results, if that is indeed your goal.

I definitely don't just throw the same shot, I love getting silly with it. But..to me it sounds like you want your core, everyday workhorse shot shapes to have more variables than they really need to have.
When you're in the woods it's pretty easy to get forced into throwing an angle that is larger than your stock to get around shit.

Changing discs is my first choice but sometimes it seems easier to get the shape I want adding or reducing hyzer than changing the disc. For example, on this one hole that's a wooded fairway but medium width and decent height, it's 450 feet and then a dogleg right. So my best lies if I go for the bomb go straight for as long as possible and then fade left to avoid being pinched on the right side of the dog leg behind trees.

Normally I throw a champion tern that I can trust to not turn too much if thrown in the low 60s on around 15-20 degrees of hyzer and prob slightly to medium nose down. However, there's often headwind and sometimes tailwind. When there's a gentle headwind, often it's easier to get the same flight by trying to add a bit more hyzer instead of trying to throw the same shot and changing discs. I have like 13-14 drivers >=7 speed but I don't always have something that is just barley more or less stable despite generally trying to have OS, straight, and US at 7, 9, and 12 speeds and a few X-OS ones.

Like actually in your bag permanently?
Yes, 7 speed, 9 speed, then 11-12 speed but I kinda treat 11-12 as one category.

OS, straight, and US in each category with a few extra OS utilities as well and maybe 1-2 total near duplicates for the ones I throw most for extra throw practice to correct issues or because I tried to find something closer to straight but it wasn't quite straight. Of course at 12 speed there aren't really neutral discs so yeah.

Yes, 7 speed, 9 speed, then 11-12 speed but I kinda treat 11-12 as one category.

OS, straight, and US in each category with a few extra OS utilities as well and maybe 1-2 total near duplicates for the ones I throw most for extra throw practice to correct issues or because I tried to find something closer to straight but it wasn't quite straight. Of course at 12 speed there aren't really neutral discs so yeah.
Thats a lot of drivers lol.

Interesting. I have 14 putters and mids and 8 > speed 12 (nothing higher)

That's really 6 molds of putters and mids, and 4 molds of speed 12

Latest posts