• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are we just making things up with nose angle stuff now?

Pro's not over there thinking about how much they gotta pour the kettle and turn the key.
Yes they are, at least some of them, probably a decent amount of them.

Mason Ford and Albert Tamm certainly think about this. When they threw my tech disc and it was barley nose down and barley nose up, I asked "what do you do when you want to get more nose down?" and they both said something like, "I focus more on pouring the tea, I wasn't focusing on throwing nose down initially". Mason got up to -3 but mostly around -2 when focusing more on pour the tea and Albert's didn't change that much, it was just more consistently slightly down instead of split between slightly down and slightly up.

My guess is either Mason's grip allows pour the tea to be slightly more effective and/or Mason (and other people who make pour the tea work without something close to an F1P-3 style grip) has some coupled muscle memory when using the pour the tea cue where some other slight modifications also happen subconsciously. I believe Mason also has thrown the tech disc a handful times before so he's probably benefitted from the instant feedback loop whereas when I brought out the tech disc Albert didn't seem to know what it was.

Jake Hebenheimer on the other hand focuses on a more pronounced inverted swoop when trying to throw more nose down and he fairly easily was getting -4 and -5 which are the same results I get when I'm successful at implementing an inverted swoop. I think he also has thrown the tech disc a handful of times

There certainly are many pros who probably don't make these conscious decisions and more completely rely on feel and intuition. It's pretty hard to not make conscious adjustments when you spend so much time practicing and working on form and re-throwing to try to hit the line better.

Last edited:

Latest posts