• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc wobble = OAT?

"Of axis torque - this is the condition that results from the hand not perfectly tracking around the nose within the plane of the disc into the extremely powerful snap. Think of the top if you wrapped the string askew at some odd angle. The harder the string is pulled the more wobble will be induced."

So it is just a fancy name for wobble? Or, rather, a fancy name for putting wobble on a disc?

So it is just a fancy name for wobble? Or, rather, a fancy name for putting wobble on a disc?

As I understand it:

Disc wobble is always an indication of OAT.

But,

OAT is not always indicated by wobble.

Sometimes you won't see wobble (I'm sure it's still there though) despite the fact there is still OAT.

Wobble/flutter/oat are synonyms.

It robs your disc of power and stability. So the more wobble you have the more your disc turns over and the less it glides.

It is hard to know how much wobble you have because when you release a full drive it is hard to watch the initial part of the disc's flight. Your follow through pulls your head away from the shot and you pick it up (see it for the first time) after it is some distance away ( I'm guessing 30 to 80 feet depending on form and power).

Most of the wobble happens right off your fingertips and diminishes as the disc levels off. So have someone else watch your drives to give you feedback.

What counteracts wobble? A good dose of smooth.

Good balance, flat, clean and smooth will overcome wobble. Long live smooth.

If your shoulders are on a different plane than the disc, then that is a form of OAT (garublador called it plane preservation, which is a term I like too) where you will not necessarily impart wobble to the disc. It will just behave a lot different than you would expect and travel just as far as a clean throw. I tend to have a problem with this, and it can lead to a disc traveling 450' downrange, but 100' off line or hitting trees really hard relatively close to the teepad. Being consistent with the planes of the throw is the biggest thing keeping me from shooting consistently low scores.

It could be your grip. Make sure your finger pads are pressing against the rim of the disc not the flight plate.

P1010030.jpg

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html#forehand

Yes, from what I understand. I would describe it by making a mental kebab for the barbecue. You take one slice of sausage and put a stick right trough the center of it perpenicular to the slice. Now you can twist the kebab-stick between your fingers and the sausage slice rotates nice and on its plane. Now take the stick and put it through the centre of the slice but at an angle (not perpendicular to the sausage slice. Now when you rotate the kebab-stick between your fingers the sausage wobbles. Its an OAT-kebab! :thmbup:

What counteracts wobble? A good dose of smooth.

Good balance, flat, clean and smooth will overcome wobble. Long live smooth.

I think it's kind of a myth that flat = smooth, or flat = equals OAT free.

You can have a really clean hyzer, or anny throw, as long as the disc moves along a plane, and there's no deviation from that plane, either from your arm, or your hand.

Yes, from what I understand. I would describe it by making a mental kebab for the barbecue. You take one slice of sausage and put a stick right trough the center of it perpenicular to the slice. Now you can twist the kebab-stick between your fingers and the sausage slice rotates nice and on its plane. Now take the stick and put it through the centre of the slice but at an angle (not perpendicular to the sausage slice. Now when you rotate the kebab-stick between your fingers the sausage wobbles. Its an OAT-kebab! :thmbup:

Sounds like Greek to me.

Leopard, Shark, easy ones. They would fly great but just a small "badda badda" wobble as they leave my hand and then a smooth run. Nothing that throws anything off line just might slow the disc down 1/2 mph or something.

Every disc wobbles when released, just some people release so clean that you need slow motion footage to see it.

I love how you know to the precision of half a mile per hour how fast your disc flies and that you can see so well that you actually see a half a mile per hour difference in flight.

Wobble induced by OaT takes MUCH more speed off your disc than just half a mile per hour, and therefore you lose distance.