• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Man, Pender's such a sweet spot, I gotta get out there again soon. Though the course there is all pretty technical and short, ya? I've only played a few holes there, but I think I'd be comfortable playing there without a driver at all. Just take my Core, Fuse, Drone and Ion and I'd be all set.

It's pretty cool here, I routinely play with a Comet, Rhyno and an XL (for FH and Hammers) and in the interests of discing down and Comet Love I've played a couple of Sunday doubles with nothing but a Comet, shot fairly well too not well enough to win but well.

And door's always open at my place, if anyone makes it up here I've got a 9 pin course that's half decent... just send me a message.

So I'm deciding to take this training idea seriously, and I have a question, is a Teebird an acceptable disk to "disk down"? Or should I be throwing my buzzz and putters?
The Teebird is good, but not quite ideal. I find it's a lot easier to find and fix mistakes with something more workable like a Cheetah, Cyclone/Gazelle or Eagle-X, depending on how far you can throw your fairway drivers.

I'm going to do this I think.

I think my bags going to be

175 Birdie
175 Soft Wizard
175 Z Buzzz
170 Star Eagle-X

I'll keep at this for as long as I can. The SEX is for when I inevitably hit the Pro Tee's out of boredom for just using the Buzzz on every hole. I'm dropping my pig for now, but it's the only putter I can have a driving grip on without tearing my fingers. My Ion might be able to fill in, but it always feels loose. Comfortable, but loose.

IMO I don't think the Stalker will help you much, it's fairly forgiving and a lot like a Teebird, I eliminated it as an option for myself and discing down for IMPROVEMENT, it is one of my favourite and longest drivers though.

Destroyer is a pretty big disc depending on stability, and the weight... don't know what else you've tried inbetween I'm not a TeeBird guy and I'm only at 300' so I couldn't tell you what the next best step up is, but a Beast, Wraith? or better yet a SURGE would seem more in line to me in regards to flight characteristics.. FWIW

I feel like the Stalker is a tad slower with less fade than the TB, but otherwise yeah they're similar. I just feel it'll be a good next step from the Buzz, as it's straight and controllable but longer.

I had a Surge I liked, lost it last time I played Deis Hill. No idea where it went. I'm looking at trading for another. Last time I threw mine I was only getting 10-20 feet past my Teebirds with it, but it's not as overstable feeling as the Destroyer so I feel like it'd help me out for now.

I've got a few different Destroyer, ranging from near Xcalibur stable to pretty straight flying. I need to field practice with them...only problem is the field I was using got too small on me :p

I'd just like to say that I like your idea, but don't understand why in the world you need to take it to such an extreme. Into a headwind, I'd much rather throw my Avenger softly 300' than try to throw my Buzzz on hyzer hard to get the same 300'. Way too risky, when the softer driver is a much better alternative. You guys must just be doing this on your own time and while you are playing fun rounds on your own or with friends.

I've had a slow day at work, and read most posts on this thread because I found it to be very interesting, but you must not be playing tournament disc golf this way. It just doesn't make sense for you to keep throwing your money down week after week while bringing a knife to a gun fight. What I mean is that you are intentionally hamstringing yourself by doing this experiment, although I would like to see Jenkins vs Climo vs Doss vs Feldberg in the "All putter Clash". I'd buy that DVD. You listening Billy?

Last edited:
300' into a headwind I'd rather throw my wizard than my buzz ;) i'd be surprised turning over a midrange at that distance unless were talking hurricane winds.

I did it because I felt like my bag was becoming to complex, changing too much and I wasn't properly utilizing my drivers. So I go back to the basics. Magic for putting and certain upshot, wizard for pretty much anything 100-320' and my buzz to drive longer holes with. It keeps me focused on snap and form, rather than disc selection. Also it's fun playing this way, it's just a little distance sacrificed for increased simplicity and control.

I shot better with that setup last time I played than I did with my full bag on league day.

Last edited:
The Teebird is good, but not quite ideal. I find it's a lot easier to find and fix mistakes with something more workable like a Cheetah, Cyclone/Gazelle or Eagle-X, depending on how far you can throw your fairway drivers.
Tbh, I can hit about 250 with my TB in an open field, my backhand distance is terrible, that's where this idea came from, but I'll look into those discs

Brother dave...your problem is obvious....just carry a couple discs...rather than disc downing!....just a thought :thmbup:

but i do like disc down rounds.....teaches you more about mid range game, and distance you can achieve off of less stable plastic

My bag will now consist of:
1 Star Starfire
1 Champ Viking
1 Champ Valk
1 Star Sidewinder
1 SPD
2 Z Stalkers
1 Star TL
1 JLS
5 Nebulas (gotta fill up a tourney bag somehow)
2 QMSs
1 Star Skeeter
1 beat to hell flippy POS Champ Monarch (the only speed 10)
and a champ Eagle X to be added later

and putters. (SSS Voodoo [actually pretty stiff] and a SSS Magic)

Goodbye Surges, Surge SS, and Halo.

Holy hell, Nate if you're talking about this bag, you're right. This bag was a mess.

Now my bag is:
Drivers:
Eagle-X's (3) (Star 165, Champ, and DX)
Champ EL
Utility:
Opto xXx (extremely o/s)
Champ Monarch (extremely u/s)
Star Starfire (FH)
Mids:
Nebula (2)
Opto Fuse
P&A:
Ion (2, 1 medium and 1 soft)
Magic
A lot more simple, still disced down and fairly mold minimalistic. I'll throw in some Halos if I'm playing somewhere really long and open but other than that they're on the bench. Stalker, SPD, Pred, and CE Eagles get tossed in every now and then for a change of pace.

Bottom line is, this bag is making me a much better player finally and I'm starting to get some consistency from round to round which has always been my Achilles heel.

.. but you must not be playing tournament disc golf this way. It just doesn't make sense for you to keep throwing your money down week after week while bringing a knife to a gun fight. What I mean is that you are intentionally hamstringing yourself by doing this experiment,

Aaaaah but I do, my home course is pretty short.. it's as much an exercise in discing down as it is Comet practice for me, sometimes you gotta put up or shut up. I take a 174 and 177 Z Comet and a putter maybe the XL and kick some chain. (ya I might be down 2 strokes from normal but it's fun and it's doubles:))

I also found that most of my drivers top out at about 290' give or take 15' so the easier distance I get with an XL or Stalker and the accuracy makes up for what I lose in distance over the Nuke or Force, moreso with a Comet out at 240'. As my form gets smoother all my drivers or putters fly further.

It is refreshing to see this thread, and just to make a bit of a tweek, no matter what speed you are throwing, i think it is important to "disc down" in another way. too many people throw too many molds! if all you do is addictivly throw new plastic everytime you're on the course, or you are throwing 10+ molds in your bag, i think maybe try to bring it back to 5-7 molds and really get comfortable with some of your plastic. i actually stitched together a little mini bag that holds 5 discs. i dont always take out the same 5, but i find that it prevents over-thought and pushes my skill level and personal accountability.

disced down from the predator to the gateway blaze, birdied a 325' hole easily today with it, on a hole where I would have thrown a pred. As well, I threw a +3 at Prarie Center Park, breaking my old record by 2 strokes.

I ran a round like this the other day with my Teebird as my fastest driver. Learned that my RHBH form is rock solid by my forearm is still inconsistent.

It just doesn't make sense for you to keep throwing your money down week after week while bringing a knife to a gun fight. What I mean is that you are intentionally hamstringing yourself by doing this experiment, although I would like to see Jenkins vs Climo vs Doss vs Feldberg in the "All putter Clash". I'd buy that DVD. You listening Billy?
The point isn't to do this to do well at a tournament next weekend. The point is to do this for a few months and then jump divisions when you're done.

The whole idea is to force yourself to develop skills rather than relying on specific discs for specific shots. While you're building your skills your scores won't be as good. However, after you've developed those skills your scores will be way better than they were before you started especially on new courses or layouts.

yay i am on board just whent throw my bag and disc down. I will post how its going.

keep up the good work.

I simplified my bag a few weeks ago and have been really happy with it. I'm going to be picking up all 3 vibram putter soon and dropping my aviars and rocs (resigning them to training purposes) and having my bag be this.

Summit - understable mid, hyzer flip mid, annys
Ridge - stable, straight, FH shots, primary putter probably
VP - overstable, flex shots, wind and FH

Leopard - understable, annys, rollers, primary driving teacher (I know that it forces my form to be proper)
TL - stable, straight, line carver, FH probably my primary driver, does okay in wind
Banshee - overstable, flex shots, FH, skips, OH/utility stuff.

The point isn't to do this to do well at a tournament next weekend. The point is to do this for a few months and then jump divisions when you're done.

The whole idea is to force yourself to develop skills rather than relying on specific discs for specific shots. While you're building your skills your scores won't be as good. However, after you've developed those skills your scores will be way better than they were before you started especially on new courses or layouts.

Hi garublador, I enjoy reading your comments. Which is why I asked if they were doing this on their own just during fun rounds with friends? I do what you guys are talking about on my own, but I never gave it a name. I just practiced my upshots in the yard. I've gone an entire week doing nothing but throwing various Buzzz's, Drones and Wizards back and forth in my yard. I normally do this when I can't make it to a course to play because of work or family obligations. You can get alotta practice in just an hour. Putting for 15 minutes, throwing upshots for 15 more, then playing around the world with your kids till they get bored(they putt from 10', I putt from 30' ;-) finishing up with 1 more round of must make putts till you find yourself drifting (losing focus/ getting bored)

The question I asked about doing this when you've paid $40 to enter a tournament is valid. If you guys want to throw your midrange 3 times on a 700' hole to have a putt while your competitor throws a Boss twice to have the same putt that's fine. (just a hypothetical example guys, please don't start all this "I throw my Roc 400' nonsense", most people that can do that, don't need this excercise in the first place) My question still stands, do you just do this on your own time or in PDGA events? I am speaking of courses that have a variety of lengths Throwasurge, if you can play your home course with just a roc and a firebird then more power to you, we have a few courses like that here too, but they are the older courses designed before people were throwing so far with all this new technology.

Again...I'm not bashing you guys for doing this, and I understand why you think it's a good idea. Me learning how to throw putters and a Buzzz has helped me to eliminate some OAT. I just wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight if I paid to be in that fight.

Also I will be posting my progress here, I think it would be cool if anyone else doing this also posted progress (distance, confidence in control, shot selection, and different throws like FH, OH, BH, Thumbers, skips, scoobies, and such)

Good luck ya'll.

I am speaking of courses that have a variety of lengths ...

Again...I'm not bashing you guys for doing this, ... I just wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight if I paid to be in that fight.

True enough... if I'm playing tourneys on long and especially more windy courses I'm lost without a Surge or Force.. it''s important to have "drunk drivers" too, a sixpack of beer and I'm back to torque monkeying. I opted for the Surge a couple years ago, just for the wind resistance and straight shots and the bankable S shot, (at my speed) not the distance.

Here's the thing, all my crap flies about the same distance, I'm still not breaking 300' in my yard (uphill) but my Comet is out to 268' laser straight instead of 230' in 3 months. That's 25' short of my avg drive, I'll push it up long holes that others can't hit with a driver just to tick em off. My XPress is 40' -60' shorter than the Force downhill but a more valued disc in the bag with it's higher hit percentage for a tunnel shot... the XL is not relegated as a turnover disc but it's also a dead straight Ace machine and one of my longest drivers. Now when I throw other course I opt for the accuracy over POTENTIAL distance, it's put a smarter shot in the bag.

Edit: and the improvement in my mid range game is money! If you went back in time 3yrs ago and talked to me about midranges I would have said something like "I wanna go fast NOW! or slow what the heck do I need that for?"

Last edited:
I've been trying to work on my midrange discs and disc down. I've thrown in a field a little I can throw a Roc/Buzz 300 to 350 but when I'm on the course I still struggle with them. I guess I need more field practice.